• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing...

ShyEmbers

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jodie
I finally settled on a name, since the little guy is now out a fledgling! A fledgling, already! He's now 5 weeks old and it only felt right to reward him with a name.

With a bit of thought and since he was the one and only chick of this clutch and he came to me at a turbulent time—and the universe works in wondrous ways this name felt at least to me perfect.

So everyone...meet Cosmos.

29425506_2362212907138034_4606044419970301952_n.jpg

'Wah--it's hard being cute.'
29468899_2366277703398221_5076875755913216000_n.jpg

29473167_2366278086731516_8251788926272929792_n.jpg

'Can this be my new nest?'
29496509_2366276820064976_4765331223536992256_n.jpg

He got so big, so fast. It's hard to believe. He's already bigger than his momma!
Please forgive the state of Opal, she had a night fright and dropped her flights in panic. :<

29468994_2366276656731659_6033009534123900928_n.jpg

I couldn't figure out if Zephyr really loved his boy or really wanted the crumbs on his face. xD
I love them so, so much.
29496716_2365565510136107_1634883213937606656_n.jpg

ShyEmbers

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jodie
Mutation Nuts what do you think?

Just a sky yellow-faced type 1 spangle opaline or do you think he has another mutation on top of that? I'm feeling clearwing maybe.
His parents are Opal (Hen) Sky Yellow face, Opaline, Cinnamon & Zephyr (Cock) Grey yellow face, crested, SF Spangle, dom pied.

29496778_2366390583386933_9222639457167998976_n.jpg

29497701_2366390870053571_8127561283613491200_n.jpg

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Mutation Nuts what do you think?

Just a sky yellow-faced type 1 spangle opaline or do you think he has another mutation on top of that? I'm feeling clearwing maybe.
His parents are Opal (Hen) Sky Yellow face, Opaline, Cinnamon & Zephyr (Cock) Grey yellow face, crested, SF Spangle, dom pied.

View attachment 272505

View attachment 272506

Mutation nut right here! HI !!

So, in order for Cosmos to be clearwing, (or even greywing) BOTH parents must be carrying the gene. The gene can either show up in a visual form, or be split and not show visually. We know that since neither parent is a visual clearwing or greywing, then both of them are carrying the gene in split form. If you happen to know the parentage of mom and dad, this will be very helpful in identifying Cosmos mutation.

To get even tricker, both the clearwing and greywing mutations can be combined together (one gene from each parent) to get a Full Body Greywing, meaning that the chick will have a strong full body colour like a clearwing, but will have grey wing markings like a greywing.

Since Cosmos is also showing Opaline, that is a dead giveaway that Zephyr is also split for this gene. This is a sex linked gene, and for a male to show it visually, he must have two copies of it (one from mom and one from dad). Opal is a visual Opaline (females only need one copy of the gene) which means that the second gene came from dad.

Opal is carrying a Cinnamon gene, which is also a sex linked gene. Females only need one copy of it for it to show visually, males need two copies. Cosmos will be SPLIT for Cinnamon, and if you pair him up in the future with a non cinnamon female, you will only get female cinnamon. If you pair him up with a cinnamon female, you will get both male and female cinnamons.

Sooooo... back to the clearwing..... some clearwings are very poorly bred and poorly marked, and they look a lot like greywings when there should be no markings on the wings at all. A great clearwing is actually pretty hard to find outside of Australia, or outside of private breeders. But hey! People do get lucky and find a beautiful clearwing to add to their flock.

I am definitely leaning towards Cosmos being a clearwing, since there is very little grey markings. Do you happen to also know the parentage of his parents? This will definitely help in narrowing down the clearwing/greywing questions.

ShyEmbers

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jodie

Mutation nut right here! HI !!

So, in order for Cosmos to be clearwing, (or even greywing) BOTH parents must be carrying the gene. The gene can either show up in a visual form, or be split and not show visually. We know that since neither parent is a visual clearwing or greywing, then both of them are carrying the gene in split form. If you happen to know the parentage of mom and dad, this will be very helpful in identifying Cosmos mutation.

To get even tricker, both the clearwing and greywing mutations can be combined together (one gene from each parent) to get a Full Body Greywing, meaning that the chick will have a strong full body colour like a clearwing, but will have grey wing markings like a greywing.

Since Cosmos is also showing Opaline, that is a dead giveaway that Zephyr is also split for this gene. This is a sex linked gene, and for a male to show it visually, he must have two copies of it (one from mom and one from dad). Opal is a visual Opaline (females only need one copy of the gene) which means that the second gene came from dad.

Opal is carrying a Cinnamon gene, which is also a sex linked gene. Females only need one copy of it for it to show visually, males need two copies. Cosmos will be SPLIT for Cinnamon, and if you pair him up in the future with a non cinnamon female, you will only get female cinnamon. If you pair him up with a cinnamon female, you will get both male and female cinnamons.

Sooooo... back to the clearwing..... some clearwings are very poorly bred and poorly marked, and they look a lot like greywings when there should be no markings on the wings at all. A great clearwing is actually pretty hard to find outside of Australia, or outside of private breeders. But hey! People do get lucky and find a beautiful clearwing to add to their flock.

I am definitely leaning towards Cosmos being a clearwing, since there is very little grey markings. Do you happen to also know the parentage of his parents? This will definitely help in narrowing down the clearwing/greywing questions.

I was already aware of Cosmos being split to cinnamon through his mothers genetics and only being able to produce visually cinnamon hens should he reproduce. AND yes! I found out Zeph was split opaline in this breeding since well it showed up and shouldn't have because Opal is the opaline not Zeph. So I knew all those things but I've just got zero experience with clearwing but since he's showing zero wing marking I just wondered. I wasn't aware it needed two copy's to show up though...so thank you for teaching me that. I'm truly clueless on clearwing.

Unfortunately Opal came from a local pet store as a baby so I have no idea of her parentage and I got Zeph from a private breeder 40mins drive away who hasn't contacted me back so I wonder if his phone number changed or something else happened since he was unwell. So it will remain a guess at this point.

In the end I was just curious, simply because Cosmos has no markings which i knew to be a trait of clearwing.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Lucky you to have such a cutie. Take lots of photos for us please.

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
I love the name! I can't believe how beautiful he is and tame. At least he sure looks tame! :D

RDBudgiesS

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Diana
ADORABLE!!!!!!