• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing new puppy and cockatiel?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't see why some people have such a firm NO stance to this. yes I do understand the risks, but what about like pitbulls that accept human babies into the pack?
You're only looking at this from the dogs point of view, ie: the dog being the accepting one.

Meanwhile by having prey and predator in such close proximity you are requiring your bird to accept a predator in its midst. That in itself will be very stressful for the bird for many reasons and on many levels. This stress may result in behavior and health problems.

I stand strong in my belief; prey and predator = NO

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
I didnt say you couldnt have them both. I didnt say you cant have them able to see or hear one another.
I only said predator will never see prey as a pack memeber and vice versa. I have 3 dogs....i manage fine with shifts. One out the other isnt.
You asked for opinions ...I gave one. Sorry if it offended you.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I have lived with dogs , cats and birds all of different sizes and breeds/species for the past 30 yrs and I have never had a problem....you just have to be careful ....train your dogs and cats ....don't have them out together in the same room ...when my birds are out my cats are in my bedroom and the dogs are out side ...its as easy as that :)

The birds cages are in the living room so they the dogs and the cats are in the same room when the birds are caged... I have never had an issue with that cats or the dogs bugging the birds when they are caged ...its like they are just another piece of furniture ...but the dogs/cats have been trained to leave the cages alone...so it can be done ....;)

As for the birds being stressed out because they are around predator's every day all day ...all I can say to that is my birds don't really care about the dogs and cats ...they sing ...talk....call....play...shred...have fun in their cages as much as any bird ...they eat ,drink and are in great health ...their feathers are bright clean and they preen like they should ...I have not seen any signs of stress due to my cats and dogs being around them all the time :)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Sorry that I don't really have much advice beyond being very very very strict with the dog while it's a puppy. I just wanted to share my experience with dogs and a bird.

I had a dog who passed away two years ago, who was theee best dog in the world (I know, I know, eveyone says that about their own dog) but she was so good with other animals .She wasn't very nice to people besides me though but I thought she was perfect.

Anyway, I got a quaker parrot when she was about 2 years old, and my quaker thought he was the toughest thing ever. Anytime the dog came by, the bird would try to bite her. He was fearless and she would leave the room.

One time he flew on her back and she ran out of the room so fast.It was hilarious. She didn't even like to make eye contact with the bird.

The thing is, I'm also a dog walker and I used to dog sit lots of different dogs, and my bird was not caged. I only allowed dogs that I trusted to come over but there were some that would chase squirrels and stuff who came over. But they all knew not to mess with the bird cause he gave off a vibe to them not to F with him.

The most they would do is stand around his play stand and wait for him to drop food. Maybe if your bird is fearless like my old bird was, maybe the dog will pick up on that and respect the bird?

But as everyone else here has said, please be very very careful until you figure out the dynamics between them. Goodluck! Getting a puppy is exciting and Cane Corsos are magnificent dogs! Can't wait to see pics!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@CrazyBirdChick Predators don't care (or respect) if prey is fearless. Lots of birds have died due to fearlessness towards predators. Plenty of stories here on AA about this.

@alicat Some of us have such a firm "no" stance on this (however unpopular it is) because it's an extra risk - and not an insignificant one. Predators are predators, no matter how gentle or well-trained they seem to humans. And humans slip up. So please be very careful.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I have two pups of my own and I never let the fids to be out when they are around. I trust my dogs with other dogs, cats, babies etc. but prey drive with small animals is a whole other ball game.
My bullmastiff Tahlia is extremely gentle with small animals(former owners had a bunny, if I remember correct) but I still don't want to take the risk.

Restrictive commands(I use "Leave it" and a firm sit/stay when they're around the cages) and plenty of exercise help tons. I would also recommend obedience classes, just for the pup in general.
Another command may worth teaching is to go to a direct area. My pup Alphie has the command "Kennel" to go to his crate, and Tahlia has "Out" to leave the room when she is getting too excited, near the cages for example.

I'm sure with some dog's temperaments, proper socialization and commands you could have Piper on your shoulder with the pup near you, but it comes with a risk that I personally wouldn't take.
Same goes for people who let their dogs/cats around their parrots, nothing may happen until sadly something does. It's just not worth the risk IMO.

Good luck with the pup, Mastiffs are wonderful dogs. :)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
That's true, Fluffypoptarts. I'm sorry that I didn't really get my point across properly. I meant to say that's it's very possible for a dog and a bird to cohabitate but, I wouldn't trust just any dog around a bird.

There were plenty of dogs that I would never allow to come over. I apologize if I gave the wrong impression there. It can work but it can also be deadly so always know your own pets and be careful.

alicat

Real Name
Ali
I didnt say you couldnt have them both. I didnt say you cant have them able to see or hear one another.
I only said predator will never see prey as a pack memeber and vice versa. I have 3 dogs....i manage fine with shifts. One out the other isnt.
You asked for opinions ...I gave one. Sorry if it offended you.

Oh no, not at all and sorry if I came off that way, I'm honestly interested in opinions and input and I'm just kind of talking to get all my info!!

alicat

Real Name
Ali
I have two pups of my own and I never let the fids to be out when they are around. I trust my dogs with other dogs, cats, babies etc. but prey drive with small animals is a whole other ball game.
My bullmastiff Tahlia is extremely gentle with small animals(former owners had a bunny, if I remember correct) but I still don't want to take the risk.

Restrictive commands(I use "Leave it" and a firm sit/stay when they're around the cages) and plenty of exercise help tons. I would also recommend obedience classes, just for the pup in general.
Another command may worth teaching is to go to a direct area. My pup Alphie has the command "Kennel" to go to his crate, and Tahlia has "Out" to leave the room when she is getting too excited, near the cages for example.

I'm sure with some dog's temperaments, proper socialization and commands you could have Piper on your shoulder with the pup near you, but it comes with a risk that I personally wouldn't take.
Same goes for people who let their dogs/cats around their parrots, nothing may happen until sadly something does. It's just not worth the risk IMO.

Good luck with the pup, Mastiffs are wonderful dogs. :)
Thanks for the input and time into the response :) we definitely plan on doing a lot of thorough training... puppy school has already been discussed too, and it's in her future. Ideally if everything works out, we want her to learn a laundry list of tricks because they need to funnel their energy into a job and training so we plan on working on drop it, bed, calm, stay and heel (along with some more fun ones) with verbal and physical commands just because I'm so anxious about being 115 pounds and the fact that I'll have to give this dog baths full grown when she'll weigh more than me haha. I'll definitely add "out" to my list

So we're planning on me giving her like weekly baths for a little so she gets used to sitting and staying for a bath, and play with her toes and ears and teeth every night so she won't get fussy when she's Older.

we live smack in the middle of a very dog friendly area, I live above a candy shop actually, so to let her out even she will have to be around people so hopefully it will help with her being more socialized. my roommate has another dog and two cats, so she'll get used to animals.i know a lot is up to things out of my control but we are really really trying with this lil girl :p

Last edited:

rompydompy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Natalie
The thinking that a dog can be trained to leave a bird alone is what ends up getting a lot of birds killed. Some dogs remain uninterested, while others SEEM to be uninterested until they suddenly ARE. Keep them separate at all times. The breed does not matter.

On a side note, before you take your puppy home, insist on meeting the parents. A good breeder will have parents on site and available to be seen. Of course the breeder told you the parents were nice and well trained, they're trying to sell you a dog! Backyard breeders pull this crap all the time, and that's why we end up with so many dogs in the shelters with undesirable traits. Please insist on a meeting with the parents, for your own peace of mind.