• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing new puppy and cockatiel?

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
So, as some know I'm getting a female Cane Corso on the 31st :wacky: she'll be 7 weeks old.
I have my tiel, Piper, who will have been with us almost 2 months at that point and she's a baby too. Pipers cage is in my room next to my bed, and the dogs crate is in here too but on the other side of the room, the majority of mine and my boyfriends time is spent in the large bedroom rather than the living room.

So how would you introduce them? Cane Corso's are supposed to be very trainable and all about the pack, so I want Piper to be part of the pack. and Higher in the pack then Puppy. we plan on working on drop it and heel a lot in the beginning to hopefully avoid disasters. I'm hoping my two babies get along. Piper doesn't freeze in fear when she seems my roommates pitbull but they haven't really been around each other...

(i don't know if this should be in this section or probably bark park sorry!)

help! :geek:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
"The Cane Corso, pronounced kha-neh kor-so from Italian Cane and Corso, also known as the Italian Mastiff, is a large Italian breed of dog, for years valued highly in Italy as a companion, Guard dog and hunter." -Wikipedia

^^^^ Sounds like a bad idea all around. I have a friend who has a highly trained Mastiff and he will still chase small creatures for all he's worth.

A bird can ultimately only be prey to a predatory animal, even if said predator doesn't chase it right away.

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
I have a dog, and the only time the dog sees the birds and vice versa is when the birds are in their cages or the dog is in her kennel. I do not let them interact with each other, ever. To me, it's just too risky. Doesn't matter how gentle a dog is, it could harm a small bird without even meaning to. One paw swipe, even in play, could crush a bird (especially a dog that large)

If you do introduce them, please, please be careful. It only takes a few seconds for an accident to happen. For me, it's just easier to keep them apart. The thought of how I'd feel if something happened is too heartbreaking. Good luck with your new puppy.

alicat

Real Name
Ali
i don't think I'd consider having them out together, especially not as a puppy who are unpredictable and probably not even as an adult, but I do want the dog to think of piper as part of the family... theyre very proctive of their pack and i want Piper to be part of it. I'm curious if that's possible

I'm not going to have them locked in different rooms and never see each other because chances are, in this dogs 10 years with us, they'll be around each other at some point. I'd rather they know each other and spend lots of time together so all of a sudden she doesn't see this flapping thing she's never seen before and goes for it. I think that would be a lot worse...
I just want to know what to do with the puppy to make Piper the least problem as possible.

I know people here have dogs and birds, and some people are completely against it. But my dog IS coming home in 2 weeks and I just want to introduce them well and have them both be happy

Last edited:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
a puppy is too active better keep them sepperate i have my younger dog in a different room when my bird is out i do not trust my bird not to bite

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
When we first brought Olive home, the dog was very interested. Any time the dog would approach the cage we would say, "no bird" or something like that. I don't know if that helped, but the dog really doesn't have an interest in them. I still put the dog away though when the birds are out.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You're just going to have to be very diligent about keeping them safe from each other. It takes time, exposure and familiarity for these kind of relationships to evolve. If you stay on top of your game, in a year or two things should be fine.

Never let your guard down.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
The puppy stage is going to be the hardest. My dogs know I mean business when the birds are out, and they are not allowed near them. They are actually a little afraid of them now, because I get upset with them if they come near. It's gotten to the point where if they see the birds out, they practically roll their eyes and go lay down in a different room. They are both major hunters too. Somehow they know the difference between indoor pets and outside animals that run away. The thrill is in the chase, right?

I would of course be supper diligent, and work on basic training. I would let the dog know that the birds are off limits from the start. I believe talking to animals a lot makes them smarter and easier to train. I had a dog once who had great empathy for everything he thought was hurt or needed love. I think this is because he had toys we used to pet and kiss and told him were his babies. (I was little at the time.) He treated them so lovingly, and if we pretended to make them cry he would be very concerned and want to comfort them. You might use phrases like,"You no touch the birdie," and "You have to love the birdie." Make him understand Piper is important. Show him how gentle you are with Piper and reward him for being a good boy and sitting while Piper is out. (Of course you will have to train him to sit and stay first.). You might try training him with a little stuffed animal. The way he reacts, however, will depend greatly on his personality and temperament. I also had a dog once that I would tie up and put a muzzle on when the birds were out. (Another room was not an option.).

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I have 5 dogs, 2 of which are pits. All of my dogs are older than 3 except my 8 month old pit puppy. All the dogs were here before I ever let Tuki come home. I introduced them to the cage(before he came home) and started with "No cage". My dogs are trained to sit and stay and trained to the word No. As for my puppy, she has no interest what so ever in Tuki, and neither do my other dogs. However, that being said, they do go outside when Tuki is out. Currently his cage is high enough to where none of the dogs can reach him. I have 3 very small dogs and my oldest pit has back leg issues and cant jump up and put pressure on them, so the only issue i have is the puppy. Keep them separate. There is no guarantee that either is going to get hurt. You can't risk it. I would never trust my dogs or birds with each other, no matter how trained both are. It's just not an option.

alicat

Real Name
Ali
The puppy stage is going to be the hardest. My dogs know I mean business when the birds are out, and they are not allowed near them. They are actually a little afraid of them now, because I get upset with them if they come near. It's gotten to the point where if they see the birds out, they practically roll their eyes and go lay down in a different room. They are both major hunters too. Somehow they know the difference between indoor pets and outside animals that run away. The thrill is in the chase, right?

I would of course be supper diligent, and work on basic training. I would let the dog know that the birds are off limits from the start. I believe talking to animals a lot makes them smarter and easier to train. I had a dog once who had great empathy for everything he thought was hurt or needed love. I think this is because he had toys we used to pet and kiss and told him were his babies. (I was little at the time.) He treated them so lovingly, and if we pretended to make them cry he would be very concerned and want to comfort them. You might use phrases like,"You no touch the birdie," and "You have to love the birdie." Make him understand Piper is important. Show him how gentle you are with Piper and reward him for being a good boy and sitting while Piper is out. (Of course you will have to train him to sit and stay first.). You might try training him with a little stuffed animal. The way he reacts, however, will depend greatly on his personality and temperament. I also had a dog once that I would tie up and put a muzzle on when the birds were out. (Another room was not an option.).
Thank you so much! I figured puppy stage would be hardest because she won't know really anything yet.
corsos are known for being very empathetic too and sensitive to tone of voice so I'll definitely try that!!

I hope she'll have a good temperament, I HEARD her parents are both very good pets, and trained very well. But didn't get to meet them sadly, so I'm just going on his word. But we'll love her so hard shell turn into a diamond I'm sure!

I had a chow chow who wouldn't hurt a fly too. she did the same thing, she would never tear apart her toys she would lick them. I had a few stuffed animals lose eyes because she'd lick the glue off and there would be an eye in the middle of their forehead :p

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Will you be crate training your pup? When I am not home my dogs are always crated to keep them and the birds as safe as possible.

alicat

Real Name
Ali
Will you be crate training your pup? When I am not home my dogs are always crated to keep them and the birds as safe as possible.
yes she will be, we already bought an xxl crate with divider :) it takes up a LOT OF room lol!

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Dog-predator
Bird -prey.
Dog will never see bird as a pack member.
Seperate shifts..never out at same time and you should be ok. I didnt read whole thread n comments so if repeating sorry.

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Seeing one another hearing one another is ok...being able to GET to one another is diff. My dogs are gentle but theyd eat happy in a heartbeat

alicat

Real Name
Ali
Dog-predator
Bird -prey.
Dog will never see bird as a pack member.
Seperate shifts..never out at same time and you should be ok. I didnt read whole thread n comments so if repeating sorry.
I don't see why some people have such a firm NO stance to this. yes I do understand the risks, but what about like pitbulls that accept human babies into the pack? a full grown corso could kill a human baby in a snap, same as any bird.

I do unset stand the whole pray drove and predator pray thing but I don't think it's impossible edit: if extremely heavily supervised with some precautions and lots of prior caged training

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Keeping them separate is the most important thing. I have 2 very large dogs, one who is a corso/mastiff mix and while they can both see and hear the birds they don't have direct contact with them. It's not because I think my dogs are mindless hunters and untrained, but I know that it would only take one small snap at the bird to cause serious injury or death.

I highly doubt a dog will ever see a bird as another member of the pack. Especially such a small bird. That's a lot different than accepting a human baby into their pack, after all dogs have been bred for thousands of years to accept people into their pack. Birds and dogs don't speak the same language or have the same dominance/submission roles as pack animals.

I would make sure that you have a cage that is large enough to not be knocked down by the dog or up high enough so that it's completely out of reach. These giant breeds are clumsy and could easily knock over a small cage by just bumping into it.

Good luck with your puppy. Corso's are amazingly loyal dogs although I've yet to meet one that isn't also incredibly strong willed. Be sure you spend lots of time socializing your pup in as many situations as you can.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The poodle I had for 15 years was very very good with my birds. They all got along very well and I never crated her. In fact I would sometimes come home and find that one or more birds had let themselves out of their cages and they were never harmed. Most of my birds and that dog were raised together. I was very lucky with her and her relationship with the birds was friendly, no predator drive. However I currently have 3 dogs and I never leave them and my birds out at the same time. They can see and hear each other but they are not allowed close contact.

Last edited:

alicat

Real Name
Ali
Keeping them separate is the most important thing. I have 2 very large dogs, one who is a corso/mastiff mix and while they can both see and hear the birds they don't have direct contact with them. It's not because I think my dogs are mindless hunters and untrained, but I know that it would only take one small snap at the bird to cause serious injury or death.

I highly doubt a dog will ever see a bird as another member of the pack. Especially such a small bird. That's a lot different than accepting a human baby into their pack, after all dogs have been bred for thousands of years to accept people into their pack. Birds and dogs don't speak the same language or have the same dominance/submission roles as pack animals.

I would make sure that you have a cage that is large enough to not be knocked down by the dog or up high enough so that it's completely out of reach. These giant breeds are clumsy and could easily knock over a small cage by just bumping into it.

Good luck with your puppy. Corso's are amazingly loyal dogs although I've yet to meet one that isn't also incredibly strong willed. Be sure you spend lots of time socializing your pup in as many situations as you can.
Thank you! Honestly it's giving me SEVERE anxiety bringing the corso in, so I just want to try and get all my facts and opinions straight while I decide how to approach it. I don't want Piper to lose any time, and while I wouldn't have them out at the same time or playing ever, or like have Piper roaming the bed, but like maybe in a year or two with me and Mike both there, him laying with the dog, like I could sit with Piper on my shoulder playing video games. But maybe not because I wouldn't want to risk her

You're right about the baby thing and them being bred to serve us, it was just a thought that popped into my head with a "well if this is true maybe it applies to this" type of thing.

I need to get a new sturdier cage soon, probably next month for my birthday because that is a big concern and then the one I have will go to my moms for when we visit, she only has toy poodle breeds so the flimsy base won't be a problem.

ETA: but even though I'm anxious I'm SO excited. I love things that are strong willed and stubborn like me, I can't wait for training!

Last edited:

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I don't see why some people have such a firm NO stance to this. yes I do understand the risks, but what about like pitbulls that accept human babies into the pack? a full grown corso could kill a human baby in a snap, same as any bird.

I do unset stand the whole pray drove and predator pray thing but I don't think it's impossible edit: if extremely heavily supervised with some precautions and lots of prior caged training

It's really a question of breeding and domestication. Dogs have been domesticated and bred for centuries by humans (and their young and old kin), so it's not too much of a stretch for dogs to see babies as part of the pack.

However, it's less common for dogs to have been bred with "acceptance of birds" in mind. Cane Corsos from a working (not showing) bloodline may have an ingrained drive to "guard" livestock (including poultry), but if they aren't trained how to properly utilize these urges then they're more likely to just end up harassing.

People here are abundantly cautious in these situations, and rightfully so. It is far, far too easy for a dog to snap at a bird and do irreparable, fatal harm in a millisecond. Even the best-trained dogs are not infallible.

alicat

Real Name
Ali

It's really a question of breeding and domestication. Dogs have been domesticated and bred for centuries by humans (and their young and old kin), so it's not too much of a stretch for dogs to see babies as part of the pack.

However, it's less common for dogs to have been bred with "acceptance of birds" in mind. Cane Corsos from a working (not showing) bloodline may have an ingrained drive to "guard" livestock (including poultry), but if they aren't trained how to properly utilize these urges then they're more likely to just end up harassing.

People here are abundantly cautious in these situations, and rightfully so. It is far, far too easy for a dog to snap at a bird and do irreparable, fatal harm in a millisecond. Even the best-trained dogs are not infallible.
I do understand, but I feel like it's not something that's unheard of to discuss if extreme precautions and time is taken. I don't know about the whole scenario. I would be horrified if something happened and I know there's accidents, and I'm not entirely sure if it would be worth it, but we're definitely going to slowly introduce them in any case, even if they're both caged at seperate times. Pros and cons, and I'm gonna see the temperament of the puppy as training goes on. I wouldn't consider letting them out for at least a year, and I feel like at that time I'll know whether or not to give up.

That does make sense though, my though process was along the lines of they were herding, guard dogs, not hunting dogs like a hound so I don't know how that will play out.