• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing New Bird

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I rescued a RB2 last weekend. Newt is settling in nicely. He chats with Lucy and Sergei all the time! All Newts blood, fecal, etc vet tests came back clean. I moved his cage into the bird room today. Sergei has been climbing up and trying to cuddle thru the bars with Newt. They nibble each other's feathers and softly squeak at each other. They act like long lost BFFs! Can anyone recommend how best to introduce them face to face? I don't want either getting hurt!

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
If you do training, a supervised training session might work. If not, letting them each on a separate stand to hear each other and get to know each other from across the room (supervised!) Daily could work too. Supervision, trust, and patience are key. It seems like it will be pretty easy for them to get to know each other. if you see any signs of aggression or hostility then i would put one of them back in their cage. Putting them on a long perch on separate sides with you in the middle ready to intervene if anything goes wrong could be good too. Are they both friendly with you?

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
If you do training, a supervised training session might work. If not, letting them each on a separate stand to hear each other and get to know each other from across the room (supervised!) Daily could work too. Supervision, trust, and patience are key. It seems like it will be pretty easy for them to get to know each other. if you see any signs of aggression or hostility then i would put one of them back in their cage. Putting them on a long perch on separate sides with you in the middle ready to intervene if anything goes wrong could be good too. Are they both friendly with you?
Yes. Both are very gentle too. Neither of them have even nipped me!

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
I would also not recommend introducing all three at once.. Your Ekkies could gang up on Newt.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Lucy is still picking on Sergei so they are never out together. She was abused when I rescued her and I'm still working to get her friendly enough to touch. Where as Sergei has had a wonderful life and I can even file his nails! So it will be a long time until I would trust her with either of the boys!

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
I think either of those methods would work for the situation you’re in. Depending on how confident you are in whether they will get aggressive or not (which sounds unlikely), You could place them on separate stands across the room and move them closer daily. Anything that could act as a ‘trigger’ shouldn’t be involved in the introduction either. i.e. Food, Favourite toy or person, basically anything that has caused aggression in the past. Have a towel and first aid on hand just in case. You want to be prepared in the unlikely event of an accident. I don’t think anything will go wrong at all.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
The towel will definitely be close at hand! ;)

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
Lucy is still picking on Sergei so they are never out together. She was abused when I rescued her and I'm still working to get her friendly enough to touch. Where as Sergei has had a wonderful life and I can even file his nails! So it will be a long time until I would trust her with either of the boys!
Ah, I didn’t realize that. It sounds like you know what you’re doing With Lucy’s situation and I think your boys will do just fine.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
How long should I wait to let them meet?

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
Sorry @EkkieLu i didn't see the alert until now! Judging by how well they're getting along through the cage bars, perhaps let them do that a little longer before introduction. You can do it anytime after Newt is relatively settled in.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Sounds good. I'll wait until he's more comfortable. Thanks Rachel!
Sorry @EkkieLu i didn't see the alert until now! Judging by how well they're getting along through the cage bars, perhaps let them do that a little longer before introduction. You can do it anytime after Newt is relatively settled in.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! I love RB2s. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator