• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Introducing my boys

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
Hello, I wanted to introduce my little guys. I’ve got two parrotlets, Milo and Luka. Don’t worry, they have their own cages :heart: They’re both a year old, but Milo is a couple months older than Luka. I’ve had them since they were 9 weeks old. Before them, I had another parrotlet, Zazu. I was devastated when he passed. He was an awesome little guy.

Milo has changed a lot in the time I’ve had him. He was extremely shy and not hand tame at first. It took a couple months before he could sit on my hand without startling. A lot of singing, treats, and being carried around on his swing slowly warmed him up to me. He loves music! I made him his own Pandora station. He likes broadway musicals and Disney music. Now he’s very sassy and confident. He enjoys being sweet talked and getting scratches. Milo says a few words good morning, goodness gracious, no bite, what did you do (today). He started barbering his tail feathers recently, so I’ve been trying a few different things to help him. I took him for a vet check and he said Milo was healthy. So I bought a different brand of pellets (Oven Fresh Bites) and a bunch of new toys from a different toy shop. Time will tell if the changes help. Here’s his hatch day collage from earlier this year.

Luka has had a few different phases, but is overall my sweet angel. He is a velcro bird. To the extreme at first. It took me about a month and a half to teach him to play with toys rather than just cuddle all day long. Then he had a chewing phase where he wanted to chew on the ends of my fingernails all the time. That was a little tricky to teach away. He still does it sometimes. Luka also had a yelling phase for a short while where he yelled for attention because 3 hours of cuddling is not enough. Luckily, I taught him to make this cute squeaky chirp when he wants my attention. So now he makes sweet chirps instead. Here’s Luka’s hatch day collage!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
welcome! They are very cute!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
They are very pretty! Luka is gorgeous!!
Are you sure Milo is barbering his feathers? Sometimes birds play rough in cages and ‘hit their tails’ on the cage bars. It is more common in birds with larger tails but it could also happen with a parrotlet I think!

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How adorable! Welcome to you and the boys.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Sorry about the loss of Zazu.
Milo & Luka are both very beautiful.

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
Thank you, guys. You’re so sweet :D

They are very pretty! Luka is gorgeous!!
Are you sure Milo is barbering his feathers? Sometimes birds play rough in cages and ‘hit their tails’ on the cage bars. It is more common in birds with larger tails but it could also happen with a parrotlet I think!
Yes, I’m sure. At first, I thought it might just be from his cage bars since Milo likes to sleep where it makes sense they would be rubbed a lot. I took a picture when I noticed to keep track and made a vet appointment. The vet said he was healthy. He was fine for a while, but they’ve gotten worse again. If the new food and toys don’t help, I’ll give Avicalm a try. He eats his chop really good, so I thought a pellet change might be good for him. Excuse the poor lighting in the bottom picture. His colors haven’t changed, I just took it real quick to show what his tail feathers look like now.
5ED32E2A-6300-453B-A098-FA304AF774F8.jpeg

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you, guys. You’re so sweet :D

Yes, I’m sure. At first, I thought it might just be from his cage bars since Milo likes to sleep where it makes sense they would be rubbed a lot. I took a picture when I noticed to keep track and made a vet appointment. The vet said he was healthy. He was fine for a while, but they’ve gotten worse again. If the new food and toys don’t help, I’ll give Avicalm a try. He eats his chop really good, so I thought a pellet change might be good for him. Excuse the poor lighting in the bottom picture. His colors haven’t changed, I just took it real quick to show what his tail feathers look like now.
View attachment 276061
Ahw I hoped it might be an easy explanation:( You could give foraging a try as well if you haven’t Yet, there are quite Some threads about it on the forum and my birds love it very much! Good luck with your little boy:hug8:

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Aw, they’re so adorable!!

VantCors

Strolling the yard
Ooh, any tips on the fingernail thing? My parrotlet is doing just that, nonstop, at the moment.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
GracefulWolf, Milo & Luka

THE .

I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE AVENUE!! WE'RE A BUNCH OF ANIMALS HERE!! HOPE YOU FIT RIGHT IN!!

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
Thank you :laugh: I think they’re pretty adorable, too :heart2: Milo is impossible to get nice pictures of since he never sits still for my phone.

Ooh, any tips on the fingernail thing? My parrotlet is doing just that, nonstop, at the moment.
Cuttlebones work really well for redirecting their attention. That’s what I used to teach Milo and Luka not to bite. But the cuttlebone didn’t work super well for teaching Luka not to nibble on my fingernails. He had already learned that I was trying to distract him :lol: So instead I put him down onto his playstand every time he started nibbling on them. Which is a form of punishment for him because he’s a huge velcro bird. I don’t recommend doing that if your little guy isn’t a huge cuddlebug. I would try a cuttlebone or another toy for redirecting first. ;)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Beautiful littles! I truly love parrotlets. I had one for close to 16 years. In two weeks we have a local bird fair I will be a vendor at for two days. I hope someone is there with some babies! I really miss my little guy bad.

Yours are just awesome!