• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing foraging

NYCAmazon2

Meeting neighbors
@conureboys With mine I started by giving him a treat. Then I allowed him to watch as I placed additional ones under various objects. Eventually he just started searching on his own instead of asking for them. High fat and sugar fruits and seeds are treats in my opinion. I only put veggies in his bowl.

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
I put a flat paper or tissue with treats on it for Dora to eat. Then I slowly began folding it (a little every 2nd-3rd time I gave it to her) in front of her until it was all rolled up, and ever since then, she's been foraging through anything white I give her.

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yesterday I decided to try some more challenging foraging and put a tissue over her food bowl. It took her a couple seconds to figure out and then she was SO MAD at that tissue! :lol:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yesterday I decided to try some more challenging foraging and put a tissue over her food bowl. It took her a couple seconds to figure out and then she was SO MAD at that tissue! :lol:
One day Java will figure it out. He'd rather give up than to try. We'll get there, though.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My lovebird didn't have a clue what to do, either, and I've tried a variety of things to teach her. What has finally worked are those plastic slatted balls. I stuff it with all sorts of stuff like beads, cork, pieces of sola, balsa slats, popsicle sticks, paper straws, paper.... And of course nutriberries. All three of my birds were immediately interested and it's easy to change what's in there, or I just trade them around. I also have a wood foraging box from Parrot Wizard but my birds have been too lazy to put forth the effort with it.

Attachments