• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing foraging

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
They can get like that. My Fred was like that when he first started interacting with us. Whenever he looked like he would fall I actually hurried to his aid. Then I noticed a couple times he looked like he was going to fall, looked at me, then sat up when I got to him. Stinker. I stopped doing it, now every now and then he will look over his shoulder at me when he does things. I am always watching him and will say I SEE YOU FRED, but I don't run to his aid. He figures it out. :chillpill: lol
:rofl::rofl::rofl: Really like small kids, right?! Twitter is also very good at waiting until I'm not looking before he goes and steals food from the budgies's cups, or tries biting them.. :shifty:
But when I take him on the act and scold him :backout:, he knows very well not to be proud :scared2:, and I really have no problem getting him to step up and in his cage... And although he may not seem very expressive, "GUILTY" is written all over him:sorry:

Like my kid once said when he was little:
-"I forgot"
-"You forgot that you were not supposed to do that??"
-"No... I forgot you'd get mad if you found out"

:D

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
:rofl::rofl::rofl: Really like small kids, right?! Twitter is also very good at waiting until I'm not looking before he goes and steals food from the budgies's cups, or tries biting them.. :shifty:
But when I take him on the act and scold him :backout:, he knows very well not to be proud :scared2:, and I really have no problem getting him to step up and in his cage... And although he may not seem very expressive, "GUILTY" is written all over him:sorry:

Like my kid once said when he was little:
-"I forgot"
-"You forgot that you were not supposed to do that??"
-"No... I forgot you'd get mad if you found out"

:D
When I kept reading they're like toddlers with feathers who never grow up, I laughed. But it's TRUE! OMG ITS TRUE! Fred does all the things little kids do. My son when he was little had a delay, so he talked late. All the same things I did with him actually do work with Fred. It's the same! Very wierd but it's the same as a very young kid! :rofl: My son, now 25, rolls his eyes and says REALLY MOM? LOL I said IT WORKS! They also know they have you wrapped around their little claws! They KNOW!

Last edited:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
They also know they have you wrapped around their little claws! They KNOW!
They sure do. Twitter just knows there are some things he'll never get from me, so he jumps to my son who is only 13 and still soft :xflove:... True enough, he gets what he wants :facepalm:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
They sure do. Twitter just knows there are some things he'll never get from me, so he jumps to my son who is only 13 and still soft :xflove:... True enough, he gets what he wants :facepalm:
What kind of a bird is Twitter? That's such a cute name! All the names of the birds fit them lol

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
So, if you can hide treats in easy-to-open things: like a paper cup, coffee filter, or just under a small blanket, and if it's within reach, then maybe your bird can start learning how to work for his food. :)
So, my attempts of the day:

For the fearless parrotlet:
*1 paper straw stuffed with millet and sunflower seeds sticking out
20190115_162008[1].jpg

*1 toilet paper roll with 2 sunflower seeds inside.
20190115_163541[1].jpg

He found out pretty quickly how to get the sunflower seeds from the straw and that his beak was fitting wonderfully in the holes, but he attacked my phone whenever I tried to take a picture so this will not be documented properly.. :cautious:

For the coward budgies:
*1 paper straw stuffed with millet, with a millet sticking out to attract them.
20190115_162627[1].jpg

Merlin has studied it from a safe distance a couple of times but I'm still waiting... Nova will probably get at it before he dares enter the cage...
20190115_165913[1].jpg

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Omg Twitter fits him! He's adorable! He looks like my lovebirds, which are spoiled rotten lol
That cute little birdie bites budgies and steals food???! :nocomment: lol
You wouldn't believe it, he is the cutest pain in the *** I've ever seen. He hops in their cage and looks at me, staying obediently on the perch he is allowed to go to, then he'd take a step to the right and if I'm watching, he'd go up and drink wit that perfectly innocent face of his. The second he thinks I'm not watching, he jumps down to the food cups at once, fills his beak and climbs back up very fast before I can call him on it ;)

But he has bitten Merlin quite badly, there was blood everywhere, I thought he had bitten off the whole foot so bloody it was. Luckily it was just a little hole on the leg... But then he got Nova's claw, pulled it completely off :jawdrop1:. Can't trust this guy at all.. :rpg6:

Do you have pictures of your lovebirds?

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
@Gribouille Great idea on the paper straw! I may try that too. Waffle will do ANYTHING for a walnut!

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
This morning I put a Nutriberry in her little toy basket, then covered it with a tissue while she was watching. She was interested until it was covered and then just walked away. :grumpy:

I often remark that we have a very adorable but not necessarily bright parrot. If she were a human kid, she'd be the kid that's really more into athletics than school. :D

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
This morning I put a Nutriberry in her little toy basket, then covered it with a tissue while she was watching. She was interested until it was covered and then just walked away. :grumpy:
Maybe you could start with covering it half.. having the nutriberry peck out and wave at her :D

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
You wouldn't believe it, he is the cutest pain in the *** I've ever seen. He hops in their cage and looks at me, staying obediently on the perch he is allowed to go to, then he'd take a step to the right and if I'm watching, he'd go up and drink wit that perfectly innocent face of his. The second he thinks I'm not watching, he jumps down to the food cups at once, fills his beak and climbs back up very fast before I can call him on it ;)

But he has bitten Merlin quite badly, there was blood everywhere, I thought he had bitten off the whole foot so bloody it was. Luckily it was just a little hole on the leg... But then he got Nova's claw, pulled it completely off :jawdrop1:. Can't trust this guy at all.. :rpg6:

Do you have pictures of your lovebirds?
Oh no! That's too bad I can't imagine this! I will dig up pics of the lovebirds shamefully I don't have as many as Fred, and they are camera shy lol. Actually they just don't sit still Haha.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I also ordered a "beginner" foraging toy from @Mizzely's shop. Will report back once it arrives. :)
So this arrived and I've been putting snacks in it (walnuts yesterday, peas today).
Intro to Foraging Pt 1

The good news is that she figured it out right away! The bad news is she figured it out right away, so it's not really much of a challenge for her. :grumpy: I even put some shredded paper over top of the walnuts and she sorted through that pretty quick. Yay, my bird is smarter than we thought! :D

We will keep experimenting. I have some paper straws coming for us to play with, and need to clean/sterilize some of my skewers so I can get creative with those!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
We will keep experimenting. I have some paper straws coming for us to play with, and need to clean/sterilize some of my skewers so I can get creative with those!
You could plass some paper bands on the inside of the cup so she wouldn't see through them. Maybe cover the treats with something else, like nut shells or dried peas/chickpeas...