• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing cockatiel to Eclectus

Vulpeste

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caroline
Hi all!

I have a young 5 m/o eclectus parrot male named Oliver and I just moved in with my best friend and she owns a baby girl cockatiel around the same age.
My bird isn't used to other birds at all and because he already escaped a few times he might also have had bad experience with wild bird.
I'd like them to hang out though. I have no idea if it's possible for those two species to cohabit-ate so I'm here for advice.
There cage isn't even in the same room so I guess the first advice would be to put their cage next to each other so they can analyse and observe each other during the day.
I'm giving them free fly time together in my bedroom while I study. Oliver is being possessive of the tree stand but there is also a big bird rope hanging from the fan. Sassy (the cockatiel) doesn't seem worried or impressed by my bird but Oliver really is on the defensive, as long as she stays at a safe distance he's fine but if she approaches he fluff all his feathers and open his beak to defend/attack.
Any advice?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
NEVER without 100% "attentive" supervision. There is way too much difference in size. The Ekkie can kill the cockatiel with one strike.

Having their cages in the same room is ok (not side by side yet). Introductions are done very slowly and from a distance. They need time (months) to become familiar with each other in a calm non-aggressive manner.

My experience tells me the the cockatiel is found to be viewed as more of a pest than anything else just because of how a cockatiel acts. (High energy)

Vulpeste

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caroline
As a pest ? To whom ?
Of course everything would be done with supervision, but so far it's the cockatiel that is trying to approach and enter Oliver's perimeter more than the opposite, to what he will let her do to an extend and then fluff and want to attack if she's getting too close. Was just wondering if a "friendship" of some sort would be possible in the future depending on their temperament of if the fact that they are two different species would be a barrier to that.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A pest to the Ekkie. It's possible they "could" become friends but not very likely. And it's going to take a very long time for that to happen (years).

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
When this introduction is done, you will know pretty darn quick whether the friendship is possible.

They'll either hit it off or go after each other. Not much middle ground.

Last edited:

spurs21550

Meeting neighbors
I had a CAG who was best buds with one of my budgies, it can happen, he even gave the budgie beak kisses so delicately , but we were very careful and watchful when they were together.

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
When this introduction is done, you will know pretty darn quick whether the friendship is possible.

They'll either hit it off or go after each other. Not much middle ground.
idk about that, my boys just ignore each other and live in the same cage. sounds like middle ground to me :p

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
Really depends on the birds. Murphy quaker best buds with Rhyly tiel, Oakley IRN best buds with Kai quaker and Disco lovie. Kai and Disco - no way are they buds. Disco and two budgies best buds. The budgies only buds with lovie. There is no real aggresion, they can all be out at the same and they "respect" each others space. I never leave food in cages because one time I did and that was the only time I encountered any aggro.

MINE ARE SUPERVISED AT ALL TIMES WHEN OUT OF CAGE because you just never know what can or may happen

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
idk about that, my boys just ignore each other and live in the same cage. sounds like middle ground to me :p

You're not talking about an EKkie and a cockatiel. Just the size difference is a legitimate threat.

I consider if birds don't try to kill each other and just respect others space it's a hit. :)

Chihuahua

lol true. i suppose its the difference between being mates, flock members or enemies and im decidedly orions mate so i guess that makes gabby the third wheel lol

but yeah id be pretty nervous with an ekkie and a tiel. something else to consider is the call-- the breeder gabby came from had a pair of ekkies next to a pair of bccs and one of the ekkies called right next to where the bcc nest box was and the female was so startled she flew up and broke her neck on the roof of the next box. ive also noticed that orions call can cause gabby to get nervous/jump/fly.

birdle

In my personal opinion I feel it is too dangerous and irresponsible to let birds of such different sizes out together and encourage interaction. How will your roommate feel if one day on accident your eclectus strikes at and maims or kills that cockatiel.

Vulpeste

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caroline
I've always talked about an under supervision situation.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Please just don't introduce them. There is so much potential for danger here, and another member here had a green cheek's beak bitten off by her eclectus. There is so much danger in this why risk it?

Even if you are there to supervise an accident can happen in the blink of an eye. They're not even close to the same beak size, that tiel wouldn't stand a chance if that boy decides to defend his territory.

Last edited:

birdle

I've always talked about an under supervision situation.
still, you cannot cross the room fast enough to prevent a bite. it's like when people say oh I let my bird out with my cat but only under supervision animals are faster than us so what can we do but yell no? Milo is right. if an ekkie even struck at that bird at best its beak would be ripped apart

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like to post this picture whenever people talk about introducing birds of vastly different sizes:

josie-beak-progress.jpg

This is Josie after a run-in with a hawkhead parrot (which I might add, is smaller than an eclectus). She was lucky, it could've been much worse. And I didn't even let them out together -- Target got her through the cage bars. Just don't do it.

Wolf

Jogging around the block
Eclectus are not really known for liking other species of birds, while a cockatiel will try to make friends with just about any bird. A cockatiel is also so docile and gentle of a bird that even a love bird can intimidate a whole flock of cockatiels as can a budgie. This is not one of the best ideas that I have ever heard and I would not attempt this if they were mine.

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I wouldn't risk it. It isn't worth it. If your cockatiel is craving attention from another bird, then another cockatiel would be your best bet.

They could get along, but if the ekkie were to have one bad day and snap, it could kill the cockatiel.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I wouldn't either, I had a lovebird (teeny tiny) with my tiel, not housed together but out to play. My tiel would follow her and want to play and she could have really hurt him. Now I have two tiels, and they seem quite happy. Good luck on what ever you choose.