• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing budgies

TheCageCleaner

Moving in
Real Name
Denise
Hi everyone. I’ve had my budgie, Smudge, for nearly a year now. Smudge is a skittish bird, but will eat millet from my hand. She has never stepped up for me, and I’m beginning to think she just isn’t going to. That’s ok though. She sings beautifully and is fun to watch. Because Smudge just doesn’t seem to want to bond with our family the way we were hoping, we decided to get her a friend she may feel more comfortable with. So, a month ago we got Jewel. We quarantined her for a month and were amused that Smudge and Jewel would call to each other from across the house. 2 days ago, we brought their cages side by side to begin introducing them. They seem very interested in each other. They spend their time chatting, climbing on the walls of their cages that are adjacent and trying to figure out how to get to each other. Smudge’s cuttlebone was on the wall facing Jewel’s cage. Over the past day, he has torn it apart- a behavior he has never exhibited before. Jewel has a seed treat on her cage adjacent to Smudges cage, and she has gone to town on it, even though it has been there for a month and she has never shown interest in it before. I’ve also observed the birds eating from their seed cups at the same time.

I think it’s time to let Smudge and Jewel into the same cage. The problem is, neither is finger tamed and I don’t want to scare anyone by grabbing them. I just think that would be a horrible introduction. I was considering putting the cages face to face, opening the doors, and hoping they both go into the cage I want them in. Both cages are the same, 30x18x18, so either one would be appropriate, but one is a little nicer than the other. Do you think this is a good plan? Is there anything else I should do? Should I be worried that they would start fighting? I just want to be completely prepared before we do this. Thanks in advance for your input!

TheCageCleaner

Moving in
Real Name
Denise
I should add... I’m 99% sure Smudge is a girl. I originally thought she was a he because her cere was light blue. However, it now turns brown and then back to blue, so I’m assuming girl. I keep calling her a he out of habit . Jewel’s cere looks just like Smudge’s did when she was younger, so I’m assuming she is also a girl. Of course I’m no expert, so anything is possible!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Hi @TheCageCleaner and :welcome2:

Has Smudge ever been allowed out to fly in the room where her cage is? And are you planning to allow the new girl to do that? I allowed mine out for 'flytime' before putting them in one cage together, to make sure the intro went okay.

TheCageCleaner

Moving in
Real Name
Denise
I’ve never done that because I was afraid since he’s not finger tamed that I wouldn’t be able to get him back in. That sounds terrible now that I’ve said it. Do birds that aren’t finger tamed get back in their cages willingly?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I’ve never done that because I was afraid since he’s not finger tamed that I wouldn’t be able to get him back in. That sounds terrible now that I’ve said it. Do birds that aren’t finger tamed get back in their cages willingly?

It is my experience that they do, yes. But this has a few exceptions. Of course they have to be able to fly (not clipped), and I would say that they do better each time out with practice, and knowing they can get back in. The cage is their safe space, and their home, so when mine are out they naturally gravitate back. I would say that the humans have to be comfortable with it also, as I have seen some folks flinch, as a natural response to a bird flying over their heads. Mine only eat millet off my hands, like your Smudge. Other than that, they aren't the cuddly little birds you see perching on a shoulder, or anywhere else LOL! (Hopefully that might change one day, but time will tell).

First time out for flytime just make sure you close the door to the room you're in, close the curtains in case they mistake glass for a fly-through, and cover mirrors.

TheCageCleaner

Moving in
Real Name
Denise
Thanks. I will give it a try. I’ll have to move her to a different room to try it out because our house has a big, open floor plan with several sliding doors and windows with no coverings. It would be a giant birdie danger zone!

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
If you let them fly in a room with a window without curtains, you can have post-its on the window so they'll see where they have to stop...

TheCageCleaner

Moving in
Real Name
Denise
That’s a great idea. Thank you! I’m so nervous about letting them out.

TheCageCleaner

Moving in
Real Name
Denise
So, I ended up getting both birds into a neutral cage and there was a little beak wrestling and pecking at first. Then, they settled down and started preening each other and snuggled up together. Later, the smallest was doing some pushing which was super mean-natured, yet comical at the same time. They slept together on the same perch, even though I made sure there were plenty of extras if they needed their space. They also have their own dishes and plenty of toys so no sharing is necessary. They stay near each other today, but also seem annoyed with each other at times. At one point, I observed them both head bobbing and then nibbling beaks. I thought this behavior was for mating, but I think both are female and one is quite young. Are there other reasons for head bobbing? Could I be wrong about their genders? I’m posting a picture that I hope is clear enough to see. Finally, are their little squabbles typical budgie behavior? 5426F01C-FA51-4343-9006-42CAA7C04ED7.jpeg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
One on left looks female and the other looks to be male. Suggest you perch train them both. You can easily do that with a short perch and millet in your hand. Once they are comfortable stepping up on to a perch your hand will be next.