• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing bird to dog... any tips?

outmaww

Meeting neighbors
Our dog is a rescue, a 6 or 7 year old mutt who we think is a chihuahua/jack russel terrier mix. He was found on the streets three years ago. He is very gentle with people despite this, never bites, and has never shown any kind of aggression towards birds. Whenever the bird is in the room, the dog is simply curious and slightly confused, never aggressive.

Today, I was passing through the dog's "area" with the bird on me, and she flew straight off my shoulder towards the dog. Due to her clipped wings, she didn't get very far, but she continued towards him on foot until she was right up next to him, literally on his pillow. I was hovering over both of them, ready to intervene if anything happened at this point. The dog was a little frightful, not the bird. She was basically just calmly checking him out until he turned his head to look at her better, and she reared up and started hissing wildy. I snatched her up, and she immediately stopped and was back to being clam. The dog seems a little traumatized lol

This interaction, though, makes me wonder how they can get used to each other. It would be cool if they could tolerate each other (the dog tolerates the bird just fine, actually, it's just the bird that worries me). I don't want them to be buddy-buddy, I know that you can never know for sure what a dog can do, but it would make things a little less stressful for me around the dog when I'm with the bird. After all, they're both my pets, and I want to spend time with both of them at the same time. It'd be fun : ) I trust my dog and don't think he'd ever intentionally harm her.

Any suggestions or opinions about how they can learn to be around each other? It's appreciated.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Not a good idea.

It's best each has their own space, and that when you're not home the dog does not have access to the cage. Training your dog is also your best bet. Train him to understand the bird is off limits. Dogs are hunters by nature, and you never know when that instinct may service. Clear cut rules will help for any accidental meetings, but your best bet is too only allow the bird freedom when the dog is out of the room the bird is in.

We've had many, many stories on the board of 'friendly' dogs/cats that have injured or killed a bird they've know for years. It's not worth the risk.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My opinion is that it’s an entirely unnecessary gamble with your birds life and to not do it- it’s simply not a gamble thats worth taking.

I have a dog that fits all the descriptions you’ve given about your dogs behaviour and temperament. She has literally no interest in my birds, has never once hurt anything deliberately (stands on my foot and bruises me, whips me with her tail are the types of hurt she has caused, all unintentionally) she has no nasty or protective bone in her- she even gets attacked by the cats that break into her yard and she just wags her tail or moves away. I’d not ever even think about letting her in the room with any of my birds when they’re out- it only takes one mistake and it’s just so simple to keep them apart so no need to take the risk.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I admit that many years ago almost a decade now(hard to believe my special pup has been gone that long :( ) I let Penny (Shih-Tzu) and Nala (Green Cheek Conure) interact every day for hours and I mean Nala would climb on Penny and preen her fur and her favorite thing to do was to hold Penny's ear in her claws and gently run her beak through her fur over and over. In the 7 years they lived together never once did Penny show any hint of annoyance or aggressive towards Nala. She enjoyed her company and would happily sleep while Nala walked on her back,they had a mutual respect and love for each other and kept each other company when I was at work all day. Now mind you when I was gone Nala was always in her large sturdy flight cage that Penny wouldn't even be able to reach the bottom of because she was so short but she would sleep next to Nala's cage and they were never loose together if I wasnt right there next to them . I trusted them both explicitly and never was that trust betrayed by either of them.
BUT! I know how incredibly stupid I was to allow that to happen! Looking back now I don't regret the amazing memories I have of both of my beloved girls being together and us being a tightly knit pack of 3 but I am disappointed in myself that I let myself be complacent and not actually worry about something happening and nothing ever did but by being lured into that false sense of security was foolish. Now I would never in a million years even harbor the slightest idea of a dog and a bird ever being anywhere near each other without bars between them and being in a room were the dog was never allowed access too. And that's exactly what I've done and always will be in the future if I ever have another bird.
When I've had Zazu with Kiara(who's sadly passed away years ago) and Zazu and Tobias both overlapped with Kovu that I have now neither one of them ever was loose with either dog nor around them for more then 5 mins tops when in a travel cage and me close by when I'd be taking one of them to the vet and walking into the main area of the house. Other wise it was 100 % the dog in the rest of the house and the bird in my room only loose when my door was locked and neither dog was ever allowed in my room because I had absolutely no trust and didn't want a predator staring at them.
Kiara and Kovu are so different from Penny though. I literally was with Penny from conception to birth to death every moment of her life was with me and raised by me and out of all 7 Shih-Tzus I've had in my life 5 raised by my family from birth and our latest 2 that were rescues she continues to remain the most sweet,gentle and even tempered dog I've ever owned. She'd no sooner show any aggression than I could take to the air and fly. And so I trusted her 100% unequivocally but I know that it was the rarest of circumstances now and how lucky and blessed I was that nothing ever happened.

So the short answer to my long winded story is that it's absolutely not worth the risk I know that sounds extremely hypocritical after posting my story and I absolutely realize that but no matter now much you trust your dog there is just no way to know what could happen in an instant and its just so much safer to never let that risk have the chance of happening.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Adding to the other feedback, aggressive dogs aren't the only ones who pose a risk to birds.
The dog was a little frightful
The relative weight differences involved can also lead to accidental injuries or death if a startled dog scrambles away and steps on the bird (or rolls over on, lays on, etc).

Edit - I say this enough that I sound like a broken record, but you will find people online who will tell you they've done it for years (like April's example above) and it's ok (that's not what April is saying), but that is akin to somebody telling you they don't wear their seatbelt while driving and it's never been an issue.

Last edited:

outmaww

Meeting neighbors
Thanks to everyone, your feedback is really great to hear. I've been purposefully keeping the dog (Ralphie) and the bird (G.B.) away from each other up to this point; I really only asked because before, G.B. was completely content staying away from the dog (insisted on it, in fact), and I was very confused by her sudden burst of inspiration to go and inspect him. I also didn't interrupt the interaction until I knew what was happening because I was really wanting to see what would happen and how they would react to each other.

As much as I love and trust my dog to never INTENTIONALLY hurt the bird, I know it's possible. He's small, but he's much bigger than her, and he is also frightened easily. He could easily hurt her, and I would be crushed if that happened. G.B. is also a very curious bird, and she loves to beak literally everything in sight. I'm sure she would try to bite at his ears or his fur, and he would freak out. Or she would screech near his ear and that would make him jump. Now that I'm actually thinking about what could happen, I'm realizing how dangerous it is.

Again, thanks to everyone who replied. I'm going to be keeping the bird and the dog seperate as I have before, and I'm glad I took the time to write a post. This community and this forum has been so helpful and kind to me so far, thank you all : )

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
G.B. was completely content staying away from the dog (insisted on it, in fact), and I was very confused by her sudden burst of inspiration to go and inspect him.
She was basically just calmly checking him out until he turned his head to look at her better, and she reared up and started hissing wildy.
I'm just theorizing, but it's possible that G.B. is starting to get settled into her new home and wanted to defend it, so the burst to inspect and subsequent hissing might be an indication that he sees Ralphie as a threat she needed to confront.

My Jericho didn't launch himself at Pepper (my late dog) right away, but eventually did.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I find it interesting too (and this isn't directed at anyone, just something I've noticed a couple times in these types of discussions) how a lot of people assume that if the dog is scared of the bird, then that's good, or even then they don't have to worry about it. In reality, I would think that a scared dog poses a bigger threat as dogs are naturally wired to fight back when (feeling) threatened. They're not prey animals that would chose flight over fight. I've heard of and seen the sweetest, kindest dogs snap back and do damage simply in a moment of fear or surprise. All it takes is that moment of "didn't see you coming!" or "I felt cornered!". I'd always feel safer with a dog who is confident and comfortable in a situation than with one that's afraid of something. Honestly, I think the great majority of "aggressive"-labeled dogs are acting out of fear, not true aggressiveness.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I don't see how this relationship would benefit the bird & it'd only benefit the dog if it stimulated his prey drive = not a good idea. :)

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I always have my dogs out of the room when my birds are out ..having them together is an accident waiting to happen no matter how good the dog is :)

outmaww

Meeting neighbors
Update: my bird went for my dog again!

The way my home is set up, the place where I keep my bird and where my dog normally hangs out are two seperate places, but there is some overlap when I'm moving the bird to the kitchen. The bird has her own room, basically, while my dog gets my office and the living room. To get to the kitchen, I have to pass the living room. My dog is never allowed in my bird's room and never in the kitchen (which didn't change anything for him when the bird came, I never let him into the rooms before). In short, they both have half of the house.

I've been avoiding passing through the living room with my dog out and about, only when he's in his kennel (I've trained him to go to his kennel when I need him to) or sleeping. Today, I guess I just wasn't paying attention. I passed through with the bird on my hand and she flew straight for him. This time, I got her before she could reach him and hightailed it out of there.

How can I keep them more separate?? I think she's trying to defend her domain, like @flyzipper suggested. I don't want her attacking my dog. It could hurt my dog and even result in my bird's death. Any suggestions??

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
There are those cheap screens you can velcro doors. Intended for replacement screens for slider, or such. But work fine on any door way.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
You've already got the dog-in-crate option for the overlap, so you could also get G.B. used to the bird-in-carrier option...

bird dog venn.png

... it's helpful to get them used to a carrier in general if you'd like to take them outside, or in a car to the vet, etc (anywhere they'd be in danger).
I just wasn't paying attention
... and of course, pay attention :)

Last edited:

outmaww

Meeting neighbors
Can you have doors installed?
Doors are already installed; everything's fine once doors are closed, it's just getting too and from that's the issue.

You've already got the dog-in-crate option for the overlap, so you could also get G.B. used to the bird-in-carrier option...

... it's helpful to get them used to a carrier in general if you'd like to take them outside, or in a car to the vet, etc (anywhere they'd be in danger).

... and of course, pay attention :)
Starting training for bird carriers will eventually be useful, and it's a sure-fire way to make sure the bird and the dog don't get into trouble.

Yes, paying attention is vital when there's a bird around. I think I'm still getting used to how high-maintenance G.B. can be. It's a huge difference from my dog, who is the laziest dog you will ever meet and is perfectly content sleeping all day (if I'll let him, which I never do lol). But I'm enjoying the challenge so far. Just a little stressful :')

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Undesrtood about dogs -- my Pepper was a retired racing greyhound and they're affectionately known as, "the world's fastest couch potato".
I think I'm still getting used to how high-maintenance G.B. can be... But I'm enjoying the challenge so far.
Glad you're up for it :)

Conckertee

Sitting on the front steps
Have you considered crate training your dog? In my opinion every dog should be crate trained, as there are several different scenarios that could cause you to need one. Separation anxiety, hospital rest after vet treatment and keeping prey/predator animals apart are a few examples. At this time of year it's very handy as the dog has a "den" to go to when the fireworks start.

My bird and dog never come in to contact - either the bird is in a carrier or the dog is in his crate. We give him a bone and it's his comfy safe space.