• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

International travel

Danae

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Danae
Hey!
I'm considering getting a cockatiel, and before making the leap I want to make sure I can fully commit to it.
I travel a lot, mostly within the US for now, but I have plans to travel internationally in the next year or two too. I've been researching a lot about traveling with cockatiels, and preparing my bird for that will be my first priority (both medically and mentally).
I was wondering if there are any specific rules or regulations for traveling internationally with birds? The countries I'm mainly looking into going to are the Netherlands, Germany, Thailand, and a whole host of South American countries. I've found a lot of info on permits you need for other species, but they always just say you don't need this for cockatiels, I havent found any info on what I DO need.
Any resources and experinces would be very appricated!

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Honestly, I would question whether having a pet (much less an easily-stressed one like a parrot) is a good idea if you're going to be doing that much traveling. Moving with a pet overseas is incredibly stressful and expensive for everyone (speaking from experience) and I wouldn't consider putting any animal through such rigorous travel unless it was for a permanent move from one place to another. Many countries may put long quarantine periods on animals entering the country, which isn't terrible for an animal that is moving there permanently, but is certainly not practical for a temporary stay.

ETA: The requirements vary from country to country. If you're traveling to Europe, you will probably need to provide a health certificate from your veterinarian and this form signed by your vet and stamped by the local USDA office within 10 days of travel. If you stay longer than the certificate is valid (10 days), you will need to get further documentation (vet certificate, etc) 10 days prior to departure. This will require visiting a vet and doing required paperwork in your host country. CITES certificates can also be required for import/export into various countries, though some countries may have waivers for cockatiels.

Bear in mind that many countries can be strict on bird importation because of avian flu, so quarantine procedures and requirements in certain countries may be prohibitive.

Last edited:

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
As mentioned, travelling internationally with birds is stressful and expensive. I have not done this myself, but have looked into it as I will probably be moving overseas sometime in the next 10 years. Not to mention the fact that if your bird gets sick (the likelihood of which could be great in certain countries), finding a good avian vet that can speak English will be difficult (or impossible) and expensive. If you are planning on being away overseas for a long time, a bird is probably not right for you until you are back.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I totally agree with the 2 responses you have already gotten plus this: What will you do if you find yourself at customs and they will not allow your bird into the country???? What if they plain confiscate it? My best advice is to hold off until you know your traveling days out of the country are over or at the least, you have someone lined up that will watch your little one for a week or two. Doing that will not create all the stress you would have in taking a bird with you, as traveling any animal is not necessarily as easy for them as it is for you to hop from one country to another and don't think it would be easy on a bird, that in itself will be stressful.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
One thing to consider also is you may be able to get permits to take him out of the US and into different countries but getting him back into the US may be a much bigger challenge

Danae

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Danae
I had a long and serious talk with my manfriend after posting this, and you guys just kinda confirmed my doubts. I'm going to wait till we settle down a little more and our lives are more secure before I start pursuing my parroty dreams :p
Thanks for being so nice and informational! I hope to be back here soon (in a couple of years) with a couple feathered friends of my own!

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
A very wise decision. :)