• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Interesting fact about Ethoxyquin

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I'm searching around for the "best" dog food, health wise, So we can incorporate the canned food into Sheba's diet, and I wanted to see if the kind we've been using is on the list of good foods Because I do like it and when she heals up She'll be back to getting a can of food 1-2 times a week so we can get a few cans and it'll last a while - she's a little over a year and we've only had to buy 3 bags of dog food and 2 , 12 pks of canned dog foods -Can you tell its been a while since I've only owned ONE single dog LOL I"m used to buying 50 pnds of dog food every 2 weeks LOL

but i was thrown back when i found this part on Ethoxyquin - I knew it was bad for birds but wasn't sure exactly why - and I didn't know it was in all animal foods - but now i know that and know why its bad

The most common pet food preservatives are:

Ethoxyquin -- which is actually manufactured by the giant chemical corporation Monsanto as a rubber preservative. The containers are marked POISON. The Department of Agriculture lists it as a pesticide. OSHA lists it as a hazardous chemical.
These chemicals are all banned in Europe.
Most pet foods list these preservatives right on the bag or can, but even when it doesn't say so, it's usually in there, anyway.
How can this be? Because a legal loophole allows manufacturers to only list what THEY themselves put into the bag. If they buy some of their ingredients from a supplier who has already added the chemical to those ingredients...
The pet food company doesn't have to disclose that on the bag. Isn't that nice?
found at:The Best Dog Food For Your Dog: Healthy Feeding For Dogs its almost at the bottom of the page

I never knew ethoxygquin was that bad!

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Ethoxyquin has been removed by many brands over the last few years, along with BHA and BHT. Science Diet <--junk was one of the last manufactures to finally remove it.

Most are now preserved with mixed tocopherols (Vit C) and other natural ingredients.

My dogs now eat Ori Jen, a grain free food produced in Canada. It's not cheap, but it's got great ingredients.

Eagle Pack, Wellness, Merrick, Solid Gold are also good foods out there. Solid Gold was one of the first Co's that used to advertise in Dog Magazine's some 20 yrs ago on how bad Ethoxyquin was and what it was used for, from make up to tires.

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/about/

Last edited:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
the cans we have her now are Eagle pack :)

but when i came across that about Ethoxyquin It sort of finished the puzzle, I knew the stuff was bad just didn't know exactly why, but now I do and can't believe it was ever put in food bird or other wise , specially when The Department of Agriculture and OSHA sees it as poison

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Its even more horrifying that they arent required to list it no matter how it gets in. Unreal...

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I found an interesting article on E too. I'll see if I can find it again. Not many realize that Lafeber products have it in it=NUTRIBERRIES!:(

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I never knew about this. Thanks for the info.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
your welcome, I knew it was not good for birds but that was all I ever knew Not sure if its because all the people saying it was bad didn't know exactly why it was bad or what

but I'm glad to know why its bad - I stopped using a brand of food 2 yrs ago because it had it in there and won't use it even if they do remove it. I just don't like their food in general but the whole ethoxyguin put it over the top for me not liking it.

I'm sure i'm not the only one who was in the dark on exactly why it was bad So i'm glad i found that statement, now others who are in the dark about it can know why as well.

I understand food needs preservatives but its unreal they'd knowingly put something like that in food - not just animals food but human food too -

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
My dogs now eat Ori Jen, a grain free food produced in Canada. It's not cheap, but it's got great ingredients.

Eagle Pack, Wellness, Merrick, Solid Gold are also good foods out there. Solid Gold was one of the first Co's that used to advertise in Dog Magazine's some 20 yrs ago on how bad Ethoxyquin was and what it was used for, from make up to tires.

Orijen
I also feed my dog Orijen, and I give him EVO grain free treats.:highfive:

Status
Not open for further replies.