• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Interesting behavior, she must be happy?

Henwee

Moving in
I noticed that my Meyers Parrot - Pele gets into what I think is this really happy mood.

She starts crouching down low where belly almost touches feet and slightly spreads her wings so that they are parallel revealing the middle of her back. She dances around and makes her usual "clucking" noise. SUPER CUTE!

I'm curious as to what this behavior means?

See pictures below of what she was doing.

EDIT: As I was typing this she made 3 piles of morning poop! But I don't think this is what that behavior was leading up to lol!

IMG_20180105_095200.jpg
IMG_20180105_095808.jpg

Last edited:

peppermint

Meeting neighbors
you sure she didn't want to mate? :2cents:
she's pretty <3
well, it doesn't seem like she was sad...

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:wideyed: Ooh, a peek of pretty green! Bug does something like that and pivots her whole body side-to-side, usually when she's being sassy and either about to fly around the living room or tell us off. :spinlol:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm going with peppermint! Sounds like sexy time! ;)

Definitely not a behavior you want to encourage, let alone "ignore"... distract and redirect!

Henwee

Moving in
Ok, weird but at least I now know that this might be related to mating. She has also been more vocal as of late but I've only had her for 2.5 weeks now so hard to tell what's hormonal and what's non-hormonal normal behaviour.

She's also doing this thing in the morning where she flies from the top of her cage and lands back on her cage. I'm assuming this is some kind of birdy exercise.