• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Interesting bath habits..

Birdlovesme

Sprinting down the street
For the past month, I've tried everything from pie pans to misting to get my parakeets to take baths. I just happen to put an old water dish in ther for them to drink, and one dove in. I'm so confused! The bowls way too small, but she had fun! Charlie gave it a try, but he couldn't fit..
Should I leave it, or get a bigger bowl?
And, I'm not sure how to add the video..

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
My conure bathes in her water bowl a lot when I put in fresh water. It's big but she doesn't fit init either. She dips her head and chest init then sits in it and manages to get it all over her. AND the floor. You can try a bigger bowl and if she won't use it put back the smaller. The bird knows what she likes

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
My guys refuse to use their proper sized "bath tub" and will only bathe in their water dishes which are too small - go figure! :bathtime:

Birdlovesme

Okay, thanks!
Any idea on how to upload videos?

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I found the perfect container for my picky ones. I use see through pirex glass bowls. As soon as they tried them they started acted like half fish.
This is Kiwi's
71Xe120tloL._SL1500_.jpg This is Nelson's 61h6bztUPRL._SL1000_.jpg

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Both Ralph the QP and Scooter the CAG prefer to splash in their drinking water dishes. I've tried other containers but they were rejected. Of course, neither parrot actually fits in the dish so they don't get completely wet. I help them by misting them, which Ralph loves and Scooter reluctantly accepts.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
My two GCC's will bathe in their water bowls and my parakeet's will occasionally use their bathing dish inside the cages, but more often than not enjoy jumping under the faucet while I wash cage bowls. My Senegal gets a spray bath and will occasionally bathe himself in his water bowl. My Eckie will attempt to bathe in the water bowl if the vacuum is running, but usually joins us in the shower. And my TAG get's spray baths like the Senegal, only occasionally being okay with a shower.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
My Senegal will follow me into the shower and dive into the water. I have to make sure to keep it on low flow so it's not too strong for him. He jumps around and rolls around and sings and shouts and preens himself. I think if he could live in the shower he would.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Joey like to bath in his water bowls too.

slinky-kitty

Yep, my budgies love their small water dishes too...I wonder if they feel secure knowing they cant drown in them?!

@janicedyh are your birds budgies? I have a square pyrex a bit smaller than the oblong otherwise identical. I've not used if as afraid they could somehow hurt themselves if they crashed into it...do you think its safe for budgies? (I only use plastic and stainless steel bowls at present).

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Bebe baths in his water dish but only if the water is fresh out of the Brita filter and cold. Goofy Boy!! Sweet Pea like a very fine mist but jumps in her water dish too and does the Dougie to get water every where.