• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Insight Into Bird Flight

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Thanks for sharing! I have 2 babies that fly and 2 that don't even know they can fly!

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
A very good read.

Well worded.

Yes all birds should have some flight time where possible.
Somewhere I was pointed at a research paper, that showed bone density better in flighted birds. Against grounded ones.
Ok I know this was not parrots, but a good indicator like wise will be the case, with most, if not all flighted birds.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I liked the part about cutting flight feathers.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
You mean this?

Quote "I bred African Grey parrots for many years, back at a time when wing clipping was done by rote. Thanks to mentor Phoebe Linden, however, I understood the importance of the fledging experience. In the earliest years, babies enjoyed flight for two weeks before gradual wing clipping.

As I observed the astonishing gains to them from this experience, I made sure that they flew for three to four weeks before their clip. I was witness at this point to how young parrots use flight to reach important developmental milestones. After fledging, they first work on developing flight skills – landing safely, calculating the power of flight necessary to cover a particular distance, hovering, and more.

Once able to fly with skill, they then began to use this newfound ability to explore their environment. Finally, in their fifth and sixth week of flight, they turned their attention to the use of flight to communicate with each other and to build social relationships with each other and with me.

At this point, I made a discovery that completely changed my breeding practices and thinking about the importance of flight to a companion parrot. When I performed a slight wing clip on babies who had flown for a period of six weeks, I saw that this had a devastating impact on them. Flight had truly become who they were, and I had taken that away from them.

I had perpetrated a crime in my own ignorance and because, like so many, I had accepted without question the oft-repeated advice that companion parrots should have their wings clipped. Never again. From that point on, I quit clipping babies entirely, sending them to new homes fully flighted and trained to recall on cue."

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
After holding our Indoor Flight club meetings, I am confident I can pick those who were never clipped.
One lot fly at will, thinking on the wing, as they go. Relaxed and happy. In no rush.

The others are from straight line high effort to worse.
Yet time and time again I hear so many try and claim it does not hurt them.

IT DOES impact on those that were allowed to fully develop. maybe not so those other poor birds.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I so appreciate it when members learn more of our avian friends, their needs and healthy way to incorporate into their lives.