• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Inky and Butternut... Harmony's Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
We have inherited Harmony's cats Inky and Butternut. They were born on Halloween and I think their going to be 6 this year.

We are trying to rehome them because they are down at the office right now and I won't be able to bring Truely down until we find them the right home.

I think they both have worms. My question is, can I worm them myself or should I take them to the vet?

Also is that dangerous for Truely when she gets back down here?

Ginger

Attachments

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Oh Ginger they are beautiful. If you dont think they have been vet checked recently it may be a good idea. They do sell worming med over the counter I think.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I just wanted to say that they are very pretty and good luck rehoming them!

Matt

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
they are beautiful..I wouldnt try worming them yourself...they do sell deworming meds in most pet stores but we had cats for years and even our vet said they dont often work well....and yes, I think it would be dangerous for Truely.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
You CAN worm them yourself, you DON'T need a vet to do it. :rolleyes: (why shouldn't Ginger do it herself? no reason why she can't). The option is there, but you'd have to probably pay, you can buy tablets from the vet, which are more effective then just getting worming tablets from a supermarket or pet store - found this out from the vet and was true.

I worm both my kitten and my cat myself and they've never had worms, it's simple.. you have to make sure you give the right dosage, because it can do more harm than good if you give them too much, and if you don't give them enough, it's likely not to do the job.

They're cute cats.

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
Is there a reason you think they have worms? Are you seeing worms or segments that look like rice? I am not a fan of worming unless I've had a fecal checked, just hate giving unneeded chemicals. Having a fecal checked will let you know if they have worms or other parasites (giardia, coccidia-which aren't covered by worm medications). Tapeworms usually require different medication than roundworms, whipworms or hookworms. I'm not sure if there is an OTC med that covers all. Drontal which you get from a vet does.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Yep rice on Butternut's behind, but not on Inky's. Just assuming that they both would need it.

Ginger

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
aww they are beautiful!! :hug8:

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
Yep rice on Butternut's behind, but not on Inky's. Just assuming that they both would need it.

Ginger
Rice is tapeworms. There is an OTC tapeworm med that came out a few years ago. With tapes, it is also a good idea to treat for fleas since they are commonly passed to cats through a flea.

Good luck finding them a home. They are beautiful.

Eliza

Jogging around the block
They are so pretty! If I could have cats in my apt. and lived closer I would certainly open my heart and home to them.

Best of luck with everything!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

Ginger
Ginger,

They are both really cute. I would take them in and have them wormed by the vet. Alot of the over the counter deworming products are garbage and don't work that well. So, they are cheaper, but not necessarily effective. It sounds like tapeworms and they can be transmitted through fleas, so you might also want to have a flea prevention put on them. If you are not comfortable pilling cats, you should have the vet do it to. Also they can do a routine check up and vaccines if they are needed before they go to their new home so everything is done.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
They are already at the office and I did put Advantage on both of them. I will call the vet tomorrow and get them in for a check up and let them pill them.

Also if I remember correctly they do not give boosters any more because it can cause cancers at the injection site. I thought I read that once they are vacinated they should be good to go and over vaccination is no longer necessary.

Ginger

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Good that you are going to take them to the Vet. Perhaps they can help you find a home that would take the two of them together. Let us know how the visit goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.