• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Injured wild finch

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
The nasties in the cat saliva gave the poor little guy a fast moving infection that took him out once it started building up:( You did the best you could and even with treatment it's a touch and go thing because at first they seem fine then start going downhill quickly. I had a small Gackle that that happened too and same thing, at first seemed OK with a few small wounds, by a couple of days later he was gone and I had no clue about cat bites then.:sadhug:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You did your best. Your intentions were good, that is what matters.

Poor baby LB. Maybe the cat had some yukky bacteria in its mouth, who knows? AAlso the fear and stress can take a finch down quickly. I had one get so upset when I caught it and put it in a travel cage, it died! A friend had one die in her car, it wasn’t overheated or anything it just stressed out within minutes. They are fragile even when they aren’t caught by cats.

Thank you for helping the bird. Next time, you will remember this one and be more insistent. :)