• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Injured wild finch

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
I have rescued a very small bird (I think it’s a finch) from a cats claws. It’s currently in Yoshis travel cage in a dark room with water and blankets padding the floor.

We called our local wildlife rescue and they are filled to the brim with baby birds atm and the person said they can’t take the finch until the morning. So for today I will be taking care of it.

I only took one picture of what I’m pretty sure is an injury because I don’t want to spook them even more, they are currently in shock.

Does anyone know what type of bird it is (I’m in Australia) maybe @Shezbug ? Or @finchly ? And is there anything else I can do to help the poor thing?

upload_2019-10-18_19-8-17.png

upload_2019-10-18_19-9-32.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m on my phone and I can’t see it too well.
I think the best you can do is keep it warm and quiet..... it will be dark soon so you will want to keep him in a darkened room.
I’d be ringing the rescue back and asking if I could send them some pics for some ideas on how you can help him.
Other than that I am hoping one of our more experienced members come along for some advice.

@Birdbabe would be a good source if information if she’s online.

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
I’m on my phone and I can’t see it too well.
I think the best you can do is keep it warm and quiet..... it will be dark soon so you will want to keep him in a darkened room.
I’d be ringing the rescue back and asking if I could send them some pics for some ideas on how you can help him.
Other than that I am hoping one of our more experienced members come along for some advice.

@Birdbabe would be a good source if information if she’s online.
The picture isn’t the best of quality so it isn’t your phone. It’s already in a dark room now.

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
I just went in to check on it again and I got a clearer picture.

Also since it feels weird calling this bird “it” all the time I’m going to call it LB for little bird from now on. upload_2019-10-18_19-47-24.png

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh gosh how pretty.it puts me in mind of the Tasmanian Thornbill, do you have those? Mainly cause of the beak.

but I’m in bed looking sideways, it’s probably just a sparrow!

be aware that cat saliva is poison to birds, so in spite of your best efforts it may die. Just do what you’re doing. Do you need to clean the wound?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yeah I’m not sure what kind of bird you have.

I hope everything goes ok for LB :)

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Oh gosh how pretty.it puts me in mind of the Tasmanian Thornbill, do you have those? Mainly cause of the beak.

but I’m in bed looking sideways, it’s probably just a sparrow!

be aware that cat saliva is poison to birds, so in spite of your best efforts it may die. Just do what you’re doing. Do you need to clean the wound?
I know that it is probably very likely that LB will die but I want to try my best to save them. :heart:

About the wound it’s about to be 9pm now and LB is fast asleep, I worry cleaning the wound could do more harm than good especially since they had such a hugely stressful event already today.

And I don’t feel confident in my ability to safely restrain such a tiny bird :eek:.

Edit: I think your right about the Tasmanian Thornbill! I have been comparing pictures and they look like the same species.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Have you called your own vet and see if they can help you, mainly with some immediate medicine?

Can you see any blood on him? or cuts?
edit; is there an emergency vet you can visit? They will be able to help clean the wound

I hope he´ll be ok!!❤

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor little sweetie, I hope he will be okay. :( Thanks for trying to help him!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's really cute. I hope he'll be okay.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awww, hope you got him to the rescue, its imperative to start antibiotics within 48 hours of a cat attack. Just keep him warm and hydrated till then, can you at least mist, I mean mist until wet,,his bum wound? To clean it the best you can, thank you for helping him.

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
This morning he seemed a lot better, he was on the wooden perch in there and occasionally flying around.

Now he’s sitting on the foor huddled up. I haven’t seen him eat or drink but he has water and a couple seeds available. I can’t get on to the Wires people, I’m on hold now.

I’ll update again once I have finished calling them. upload_2019-10-19_10-57-11.jpeg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sending you all my well wishes and positive thoughts! I'm rooting for the little guy ❤

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
LB is dead. :darkcloud::sad7: I saw him going from pretty good to going downhill quickly and insisted they come as soon as they possibly could. When they were on their way I went to check on him and he was dead. :crycry:

I’m very angry at the person who we got on the line yesterday. They refused to come get him and said we can call again and get someone else to come get him tomorrow.

I’m angry at myself for not going against that stupid women yesterday and taking him to the vet but I thought she would have known best. :angry101:

R.I.P Little bird. :sad6:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Don’t be angry.
You did what you could and what you thought was right. That’s more than many others would have done.
I’m sorry this story didn’t have a happy ending for you and LB.

:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, I’m so sorry he didn’t make it, but you tried and that’s what counts.
:sadhug2:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That´s very sad ❤
Please don´t be angry with yourself. You tried, where other people would have just walked on by. Take this as a learning curve. If you ever find another bird in need, you know to just head over to the vet. But even at that, don´t dwell on the ¨what ifs¨ too much, I took an injured quaker to the vet within the hour of finding him and the same happened to him like your little bird, he deteriorated the next day, and that was with medicine and vet care.

Thankyou for trying, I know it´s sad ❤

:bluhug:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry the little one did not make it. Thanks for trying.