• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Injured toe

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Help me mom: dori head.jpg

So my darling Dori got hurt today. I am not exactly sure what happened, I went to go feed lunch to the birds and I saw blood on the cage papers, and the wall behind the cage down near the bottom. Of course immediately I was trying to find the source. Just 20 minutes earlier everything was fine. So after careful examination I discovered Dori was bleeding on one of his feet. I hated to but I had to towel him to see the damage. He had broken a nail off to just a tiny nub at the end of his foot. I did not see any other damage and he can still grasp with the foot. So I cleaned it applied quick stop and put pressure on it for a few minutes which stopped the bleeding. I dunno how long he was bleeding it could have been a couple minutes or up to 20 minutes. I am not 100% sure how how he did it. The cage he is in used to belong to my ARN who lived in it for 2 years and Dori has been in it for about 6 months never had an injury before. From what I can see it might be that he got a toe nail caught between where the bottom grate and side of the cage meet, that is where there was a round spot which had about a half teaspoon of blood was, then he must have panicked and climbed up the back cage wall when he broke free because there was blood spatter going that way, there was also a lot of blood on several of the perches. and several large drops on the cage paper below his favorite rope swing. He is eating and drinking, and he will pick up food with the injured foot but when he is perched he is not grasping with that toe, I am sure it is sore poor baby.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
You can put Cayenne pepper on it if you have any. Just dust it on the wound. It will numb the pain and start to go to work anti bacterial too and clots blood. The next day after it starts to scab up you an apply a paste you can boil the water- add the powder still till it thickens and cools. Apply to the affected area. I just had an issue with this- bitten foot or toe. It's healed just about all gone it was a week ago. I also mixed in coconut oil to help make it stick better.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Thank you for the advise. I will take a look at it tomorrow. I am hesitant to handle him more than necessary because we had just been building trust and now he is frightened of me. I do have virgin coconut oil because I feed it to them a couple times a week. I also have cayenne pepper powder. He is not really hand tame, but he will jump on me to get treats. I have only had him 6 months.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Thanks all for the advise. The wound has not reopened or had any additional bleeding, so I am leaving it alone. I don't want to put anything too liquidy on it as it may cause it to bleed. I did apply alcohol when I cleaned it before applying the quick stop. I also washed and dried all the perches, and changed the cage paper so I could tell if he bled again. He seems fine he is eating and drinking, and perching fine. I do see him periodically resting that foot and drawing it up so I am sure it is still a bit sore. It is a rear toe. I gave him lots of his favorites today blueberries, cantaloupe, & walnuts. It was normally a day that I would have taken them outside and misted them in the sun but I opted to wait another day, I don't need that wound getting wet, besides that it rained for a good part of the day. My sweet boy still took a treat from my hand today despite everything but he was more cautious about my hand...I feel bad about that.
dori33.jpg

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He will be ok, give him a few days..glad you caught it quickly.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
dori34.jpg
Dori says thanks for all the tips. He enjoyed his outside time today and a misting bath.