• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Injured foot

JonnieK48

Checking out the neighborhood
My blue and gold macaw has injured his foot I think from falling at night a few times now. I was in the hospital for 2 years and he was cared for by a friend. I have just noticed his perches were very oil and slick and I have sanded them all down now. He uses his foot but favors it. I have a photo of the foot that is very swollen. I need to upload this photo if possible and see I I can get some advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

JonnieK48

Checking out the neighborhood
No there is no Avian vet where I am at. There is a animal hospital I use if I can find a way to upload my photo to them. I will attempt to upload it here now. I am new here. Any ides of wha this might be would be helpful. Thank you

Attachments

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It looks pretty serious and he needs to be seen by a vet. Looks more like an infection or cyst then from an injury.

While at the vet have them trim his nails as they look to be pretty long. Where are you located?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Definitely serious. If you let it go too long and it is a cyst or infection (that's what it looks like) it could become septicemic. Then your B&G will be in big trouble.

Get him to a vet soon.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That looks worrisome for an infection and/or a fracture. He needs to be seen by a vet. You do not want to risk compromising or losing the foot.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Definitely looks like an infection to me as others have already said. The treatment necessary on that foot depends on what kind of infection/cyst/etc we're dealing with. There's nothing to be done at home that would greatly help in my opinion so hopefully your vet can get your baby in soon.