• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ingredient Comparisom of Bird Pellets

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am going to list the ingredients of two well known pelleted foods and see if you can guess which they are by the listing. If you do guess correct you are a good label reader. Here is the first one

*Hulled Gray Millet, *Hull-less Barley, *Corn, *Toasted Soybeans, *Peanut Kernels, *Sunflower Kernels, *Peas, *Lentils, *Toasted Oat Groats, *Brown Rice, *Chia, *Alfalfa, Calcium Carbonate, Bentonite, Mixed Tocopherals (a source of Vitamin E), *Sea Kelp, Salt, *Algae Meal, Vitamin/Mineral Supplement (Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Carbonate and *Sunflower Oil).

Here is the second one:

Ingredients: Ground Corn, Ground Wheat, Peanut Meal, Soy Oil,Soy Meal, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Yucca schidigen Extract,Salt, Calcium Carbonate, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Lecithin, Silicon Dioxide (carrier for liquid antioxidants), Sodium Selenite (on Calcium Carbonate), Niacin, Alpha-Tocopherol Acetate (Source of Vitamin E), Biotin, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vit. A Acetate, Thiamine, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vit K), Cyanocobalamin (VitB12), Vit D3 Sup. Folic Acid, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Propionic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Acetic Acid, Sorbic Acid, Tartaric Acid, and natural apple flavoring.

Based upon the ingredients only which one would you feed your bird?

I will let you know what the brand name is after several members post

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
First is 100% Harrison's, 2nd I am guessing is Roudybush.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Which one would you choose? By the way I tried to start a conversation with you but cannot do so because it is full!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Which one would you choose? By the way I tried to start a conversation with you but cannot do so because it is full!

Just cleaned it out a little, sorry about that!

I feed the one that my birds will eat, which unfortunately is not Harrison's right now ;) I prefer the first one because the *s mean organic ingredients, and I like that it uses more "real" food.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh boy. I don't like that the first has peanuts. But the overall list sounds better (more real ingredients in #1)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh boy. I don't like that the first has peanuts. But the overall list sounds better (more real ingredients in #1)

Both have peanuts. The 2nd one is just peanut meal vs kernels ;) And if it is Harrison's, they test ALL their ingredients before production and the final product for aflatoxins (the reason peanuts can be bad) and they do not allow ANY amount in the food they sell. Other manufacturers range from 5ppb to 5ppm (parts per billion/million) which can be hard on the liver over time.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
OK the reason I did this is because I am deciding which pellet to offer baby Murphy when he gets here. Breeder starts him out on a seed mix and pellets but I don't know which kind yet. I bought Roudybush daily maintenance pellets in bulk on MSBS a few months ago and have 4 pounds of them now. In reading the ingredients I would say they are not as nutritious for a young and growing budgie but I have 4 pounds of them that Cooper was eating. So I ordered the first one today in thinking they are better on the nutrition end of things. So the first is Harrisons and second if Roudybush. Ingredients tend to look different when you do not know the brand.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
OK the reason I did this is because I am deciding which pellet to offer baby Murphy when he gets here. Breeder starts him out on a seed mix and pellets but I don't know which kind yet. I bought Roudybush daily maintenance pellets in bulk on MSBS a few months ago and have 4 pounds of them now. In reading the ingredients I would say they are not as nutritious for a young and growing budgie but I have 4 pounds of them that Cooper was eating. So I ordered the first one today in thinking they are better on the nutrition end of things. So the first is Harrisons and second if Roudybush. Ingredients tend to look different when you do not know the brand.

It is not less nutritious. It is similar in nutritional content, just different ways to get there.

HARRISON'S LIFETIME

*Corn, *Hull-less Barley, *Hulled Gray Millet, *Toasted Soybeans, *Peas, *Lentils, *Peanut Kernels, *Sunflower Kernels, *Toasted Oat Groats, *Alfalfa, *Brown Rice, *Chia, Calcium Carbonate, Bentonite, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Sea Kelp, Salt *Algae Meal, Vitamin/Mineral Supplement (Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Carbonate and *Sunflower Oil)

*CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min.) 14%, crude fat (min.) 6%, crude fiber (max.) 4.5%, moisture (max.) 10%.

Harrison's HP
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min.) 20%, crude fat (min.) 12%, crude fiber (max.) 5%, moisture (max.) 10%

Roudybush:
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein
11.0% min
Crude Fat
6.0% min
Crude Fiber
3.5% max
Moisture
12.0% max

Harrison's has been hit or miss for all of my birds. It's hard and not particularly tasty apparently lol.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So are you saying it really does not matter which one I feed the baby? Higher protein for a growing bird is a good thing.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Dianne, where is Cooper? Did I miss something?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So are you saying it really does not matter which one I feed the baby? Higher protein for a growing bird is a good thing.

Exactly. I'm sure you will also be feeding other foods, so if you are really concerned, make sure to feed some quinoa :p

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
And, your bird may have zero interest in Harrison's! ;)

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I think too much protein is not good for a small bird. The roudybush will be fine. You bought a lot of pellets, do you freeze them?

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
For what it's worth I feed my GCC's and Senegal Harrison's Lifetime and they seem to be doing well on it. They took to it almost immediately. They also get a wide variety of fresh fruits and veggies daily.

Grace

Meeting neighbors
I would rather my birds eat Harrisons too but none will eat it. Al of them will eat Roudybush though.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would just not stress out about it. Give whatever pellet you want. Feed a mixture even! Just don't think that the 4lbs you bought is worthless or inferior. Both brands have been used for a LONG time for pet birds with great results, some even as the SOLE diet.

This is not the difference between broccoli and ice cream. This is the more like difference between a grapefruit and an orange.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Dianne, where is Cooper? Did I miss something?
She was returned to the lady she got her from. See: #226

As for the OP, they both seem more or less the same. One being organic really doesn't matter (there is no nutritional benefit to food being organic). Mine tend to pick around Harrison's, so I use it in their birdie bread instead. They both love RB.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The protein will help his flights grow back. Guess I will mix them. Yes I do freeze them. Thanks all. Won't be buying pellets for a good while.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hello what about the goldn'obles l and goldn'obles 11

I believe they are the same formula, just different shapes/sizes. I like the ingredients of this aside from the agavi sweetener (basically high fructose cactus syrup). My birds sadly don't like it LOL

Ingredients: Quinoa, organic roasted Soybeans, par boiled brown Rice & Organic long grain brown Rice, raw Almonds, dehydrated and freeze dried vegetables composed of Carrots, sweet garden Peas, Parsley, green Beans, Spinach, Red Garden Beets & Cabbage. Cranberries, shelled Walnuts, natural organic Agavi sweetener, organic Barley, organic Alfafa, freeze dried Banana powder, organic hulled proso Millet & white proso Millet, organic Flax seed, organic Spelt, organic Rye, Sesame seed, domestic grown Apples, dehydrated Honey, organic Chia seed, organic Kamut, organic Tricale, organic Amaranth, stabilized hulled Oats, Sunflower Kernels, Spinach, Fenugreek, freeze dried Raspberries, Hemp seed, organic Timothy, Ginger, Garlic, Star Anise seed, Cinnamon, Fennel seed, dehydrated wholeEggs, Bee Pollen, Wheatberries, organic Echinacea powder, Cilantro, organic Red Clover Leaf powder & organic Spinach, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus fermentum fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, and dried Bifidobacterium.)

Guaranteed Analysis: crude protein (min.) 17.5%; crude fat (min.) 9%; crude fiber (max.) 6%; moisture (max.) 3.5%; ash (max.) 3%