• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

information on PBFD

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
JAM Is correct in saying that the keratin growth (beaks) generally only effects the cockatoo family, most other species won't have their beaks effected just feather growth. Lorikeets are a species that tend to be able to recover from the disease and appear normal and healthy the big issue is that it's not known if they continue to shed the disease for the rest of their life.

snowbird

Meeting neighbors
Which part of the world are you in? I know a few people with birds with PBFD who would take in other birds with PBFD. Very caring, very responsible people.
Do these people only have PBFD affected birds, or do they have other birds like me? My house is already affected, can't change that

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do these people only have PBFD affected birds, or do they have other birds like me? My house is already affected, can't change that
Only PBFD birds.

QBird

Jogging around the block
firstly my thoughts to you and your birds,. I have been lucky enough never to have to deal with this so far, but given the stories of it's prevalence here and the ease at which it passes I do worry about the day the blood test comes back positive and wonder what would be in the best interests of the birds concerned. Perhaps as an understanding of this disease grows it will become more manageable and not as scary and I hope there are more people here with experience that can help you with regards to dealing with this ailment.

I do also wonder sometimes what the transport facilities have to do with the spread, ie the cleaning or even the flights close with infected birds etc (of course a quick turn around in testing determines this but many birds will not be lucky enough to get such a quick vet test,

snowbird

Meeting neighbors
I'm just glad I tested Maddie. If I didn't test her, I would have boarder her next week when I go to Hawaii. The place where I board my birds can have up to forty birds, they do rescues. I would have contaminated everything! It would have been devastated. Maddie looks perfectly healthy, there was no reason to test her, except she was very expensive, came from a bird flipper, and I had this six sense, so I took her straight from airport to vet, the vet said she came from a very good breeder, and very healthy, but would test her if I wanted to because she was so expensive. We decided just to do the testing for the diseases, and not to to the cbc and chemistry because she was healthy. My vet told me to quarantine her, I didn't quarantine her very well because she was healthy. She has only been in my bedroom, not the bird room, but Attie has been in my bedroom as well.

I wish there was a reporting system out there. but there isn't. Vets are only required to report diseases contagious to humans. It's really secretive out there with PBFD. My baby came from a clutch of five, You know the other four probably has PBFD.
since these birds were over 2000.00, they probably were bought for breeding, or by people who have other birds. I wish there was a way to warn them

QBird

Jogging around the block
Have you contacted the breeder where you got the bird, as they would be able to let the other people know who have purchased the rest of the clutch?

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I'm just glad I tested Maddie. If I didn't test her, I would have boarder her next week when I go to Hawaii. The place where I board my birds can have up to forty birds, they do rescues. I would have contaminated everything! It would have been devastated. Maddie looks perfectly healthy, there was no reason to test her, except she was very expensive, came from a bird flipper, and I had this six sense, so I took her straight from airport to vet, the vet said she came from a very good breeder, and very healthy, but would test her if I wanted to because she was so expensive. We decided just to do the testing for the diseases, and not to to the cbc and chemistry because she was healthy. My vet told me to quarantine her, I didn't quarantine her very well because she was healthy. She has only been in my bedroom, not the bird room, but Attie has been in my bedroom as well.

I wish there was a reporting system out there. but there isn't. Vets are only required to report diseases contagious to humans. It's really secretive out there with PBFD. My baby came from a clutch of five, You know the other four probably has PBFD.
since these birds were over 2000.00, they probably were bought for breeding, or by people who have other birds. I wish there was a way to warn them
Birds can be hatched with PBFD, it's passed onto them by the parents. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your worldview) chicks that have PBFD usually pass away very suddenly. I'm surprised your vet didn't recommend chems and a CBC just to get a baseline, you know as well as I do that these guys are prey animals and could be hiding something until it's too late.

Breeding facilities that don't test their birds (or don't care what they bring in) are the reason this illness is still around. Does your boarding facility require any sort of testing before birds come in?

snowbird

Meeting neighbors
Birds can be hatched with PBFD, it's passed onto them by the parents. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your worldview) chicks that have PBFD usually pass away very suddenly. I'm surprised your vet didn't recommend chems and a CBC just to get a baseline, you know as well as I do that these guys are prey animals and could be hiding something until it's too late.

Breeding facilities that don't test their birds (or don't care what they bring in) are the reason this illness is still around. Does your boarding facility require any sort of testing before birds come in?
We didn't do a cbc or chems because she did look so healthy. I haven't talked to her in person since the diagnosis, just via phone. I will talk to her when I take Attie in if I get him tested, or in three months when I have Maddie retested. I think if Maddie gets sick, I might just put her to sleep, nothing heroic.

The place where I board uses the same vet I have, I don't know who they test or not test. They run a rescue foundation as well. I don't think they quarantine, but I'm not one hundred percent sure what they do.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Quote Milo
"Breeding facilities that don't test their birds (or don't care what they bring in) are the reason this illness is still around."

I am not sure about this? As it is so prevalent in the wild in some countries and no know cure. Hard to know if those that get over it or at least test clear, still carry and capable of shedding. Or may pass the horror on when breeding.
It is a little hard to pick on breeders.
I would target illegal traders. These do exist and are more common than some think.
Only this weekend I was told that it is still going on here in New Zealand.
I was talking to someone saying I had been told bout one person. Their reply was. It is a lot more common than you think, with far more people doing this.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
In the US I'd say that's a pretty fair shot at breeders. Sorry, should have specified. Birds that test clear through a blood PCR test are considered just that, clear. You can't continue to shed a virus that's not in your system. Parents infected with PBFD can pass it on to their offspring, and assuming those chicks don't die of the acute form they can go on to perpetuate the virus. So yes, I can safely say that facilities that breed birds without routinely testing their birds because it hurts their bottom line or it's just too much of a pain contributes to the prevalence of PBFD.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
We didn't do a cbc or chems because she did look so healthy. I haven't talked to her in person since the diagnosis, just via phone. I will talk to her when I take Attie in if I get him tested, or in three months when I have Maddie retested. I think if Maddie gets sick, I might just put her to sleep, nothing heroic.

The place where I board uses the same vet I have, I don't know who they test or not test. They run a rescue foundation as well. I don't think they quarantine, but I'm not one hundred percent sure what they do.
I'm sorry, but that's an extremely dangerous assumption that your vet is making. Maddie's immune system may just need some help if she becomes ill, I think euthanasia would be premature at the first sign of illness but I do understand why you would make that decision.

A rescue that may not test their intakes and board birds without testing records is equally alarming... I would find out before you potentially board your birds there in the future. Their health may be at stake.

snowbird

Meeting neighbors
This was at the first vet visit. we didn't know she was positive, if I knew, I would have got it done since we were doing blood anyways. I don't know what I would do if she starts getting sick. i don't want to do any heroics, but if I can make her life comfortable i will. I;ll have to discuss more with my vet if and when that time comes. i'm starting to really bond with her. she's very smart. only five months old and starting to talk already. was saying good boy, finally convinced her she's a good girl!

I agree with what you said about the bird rescue. I wouldn't be boarding my birds for a long time because of PBFD. If I ever get new birds ( won't be for a long time), every new bird is getting tested and quarantined.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
This was at the first vet visit. we didn't know she was positive, if I knew, I would have got it done since we were doing blood anyways. I don't know what I would do if she starts getting sick. i don't want to do any heroics, but if I can make her life comfortable i will. I;ll have to discuss more with my vet if and when that time comes. i'm starting to really bond with her. she's very smart. only five months old and starting to talk already. was saying good boy, finally convinced her she's a good girl!

I agree with what you said about the bird rescue. I wouldn't be boarding my birds for a long time because of PBFD. If I ever get new birds ( won't be for a long time), every new bird is getting tested and quarantined.
I'm sorry, not to belabor the issue but that's my point. You can't assume anything when you get a new animal, especially prey animals. Bloodwork isn't something to save for when you think they're sick.

PBFD is hard on their systems, it can completely tank their immune system, which is why regular CBCs can be a good thing. If you can keep track of the status of her white cells, you can help support her immune system through foods and her environment to minimize the chance of a secondary infection. Ultimately that's what causes the deaths of PBFD birds that don't have severe beak deformities. I completely understand your stance, and I'm not judging you for it. Unfortunately this is often the situation that convinces owners of the need for testing and a true quarantine. My heart breaks for you and Maddie, I hope she tests negative in a few months.