• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

info on quakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammiebird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
samantha
i ask to many questions! i have been thinking of getting another bird, and a bird store by us have some quakers, and i was wondering if they are friendly, if they bite hard, or a lot.. if they like to scream, stuff like their behavior and stuff, as well as the size of cage that would be good for them, im not sure ill get one, because i dont know of the price yet, but just incase id like to know a bit about them, from people who own them, or know a lot about them^^ thanks!!

Jazzysmama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Quakers can be a barrel of laughs, my little blue Breeze is quite the character. They can be very loud, the whole neighborhood can hear her! Every bird can bite so I never compare biting with any species. They can be cage aggressive which my quaker isn't that bad with. But I let my birds come out of their cages on their own. I got Breeze from a dirty basement breeder that only charged me 100.00 which is quite cheap for a blue. Your greens will cost the least. A flight cage that mysafebirdstore.com sells is a good size cage for a quaker. When it comes to cages I always say, buy as big as you can providing the cage bar width is a safe one.

Last edited:

sammiebird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
samantha
Quakers can be a barrel of laughs, my little blue Breeze is quite the character. They can be very loud, the whole neighborhood can hear her! Every bird can bite so I never compare biting with any species. They can be cage aggressive which my quaker isn't that bad with. But I let my birds come out of their cages on their own. I got Breeze from a dirty basement breeder that only charged me 100.00 which is quite cheap for a blue. Your greens will cost the least. A flight cage that mysafebirdstore.com sells is a good size cage for a quaker. When it comes to cages I always say, buy as big as you can providing the cage bar width is a safe one.

i could fit a big cage in my room, if i moved my dresser out, wich i have done before, just would have to wait a bit to beable to buy it, how much do they normaly cost? the birds i mean =o -un educated on this type-

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Quakers are bossy, funny, and a lot of bird! They do tend to be cage aggressive, and are prone to fatty liver disease, so a seed based diet is not good for them. I also think they really should be flighted for the same reason.

They are loud and they love the sound of their own voice. If Jingo isn't screeching he is talking. The only times he is quiet is if he is sleeping, or doing something he knows he shouldn't.

In the wild they make huge nests, unlike any parrot. They love sticks!

In my area, they go for $250 to $400, with greens cheaper.

sammiebird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
samantha
oh wow XD thats quite a bit of money,id have to wait a bit to get one but they sound fun!

sammiebird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
samantha
of course i could get one, if i sold one of my reborns =o! id have enough then~ ill have to think about it and do some more reaserch on them as well

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I LOVE Quakers. They are one of my favourite species. They have SO MUCH personality... they are HILARIOUS. Kyoko is so funny, and she is great at imitating the weirdest noises! She dances, she whistles.
She also LOVES to cuddle, which is a bit different from my other two, since they are caiques and are always on the go!
A flight cage is the perfect size (With a great price), but I would say you could do 24x24 as the MIN. Kyoko is a pretty active bird, so she spends almost all day out of her cage (she is pretty much cage free).
They are also very smart.

They are prone to cage aggression. Kyoko can get cage aggressive with other people, and sometimes with me if I have another bird on my shoulder.
But we've been teaching her to station, so that hasn't been an issue.

She is my sweet girl, and we have the funniest games and rituals :)
Totally love Quakers!

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Ditto to what everyone else has said. I would like to emphasize that they can be LOUD!! Jasper is always making noise. If he's not screaming he's talking. He loves to be loud! I live in a house and I can hear him down the street. They also tend to be one person birds.

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Ditto to what everyone else has said. I would like to emphasize that they can be LOUD!! Jasper is always making noise. If he's not screaming he's talking. He loves to be loud! I live in a house and I can hear him down the street. They also tend to be one person birds.

They are very much a one person bird, however, Breeze is a 3 person bird.:lol:She loves me and two of my sons, but she will go out of her way to chase my hubby and bite him though, then laugh about it. He is petrified of her.:hehe: Just because they are small does not mean a bird is not loud. Quakers can be super loud, Kristen even had a cockatiel that was extremely loud. I see green quakers run approx. 300. in pet stores. Your mutations always cost a lot more. Birds are very expensive no matter what size bird you get. You're not only talking a big enough cage, but you always have to factor in food, toys, and most of all vet bills. Avian Vet care can get extremely expensive.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I definitely think most can be 1 person birds but Jingo loves EVERYONE. He is still maturing so that may change, but he wants to be in everyone's business. He is also not nippy but some can be.

Peacelovepets

Jogging around the block
I definetely agree on the loud part. I love my Quakers, but they are a lot of work and both (but especially Eilley) attatched to me. Eilley only step up to people who she likes (The more time you spend with her the more she tends to like you). Eilley rarely leaves me alone when she's out and I think the main reason Isaac does is that he is clipped (his breeder clipped him, so we are letting his wings grow out). They are such brave birds! They don't understand that a bigger bird could take their toes. I have also heard that they are known for taking smaller bird's toes off if given the chance. Make sure ytou know if there are any laws regarding Quakers in your state! Overall, I love mine to death, but they are definetly a handful!

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Ralph read this thread and said "Hold on! We're not all loud and cage aggressive!" :D And Ralph really is neither. He is intelligent, stubborn, inquisitive, amusing and messy-- and, right now, he's also grumpy because he's molting. :(

If you're considering a Quaker, I recommend that you read Mattie Sue Athan's book, Guide to the Quaker Parrot. It's an excellent book and gives a good overview of the typical personality and temperament of Quakers, and lots of information on caring for them.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
Yes quakers are loud, don't have them in the same room as the tv or you will have competition as to who/what can be louder, lol. But they are adorable dispite their noise. One problem with some is they shoot their poop out of their cage, Gracie is one of these. All on the walls and on the floor, sometimes 3 feet away. They are not all like this but my girl is. We have a material curtain behind her cage to protect the walls and just throw in the wash to clean up the mess.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It really depends on their personality, each personality differs. While one might be very loud, aggressive, and a one person bird, another may be the complete opposite. They are capable of getting loud, but this does not necessarily mean they are loud constantly.

If I had to describe Keiko, I would say he is intelligent, mischievous, trusting, loving, full of personality and a real spunk. He used to scream a fair bit, however, now, he talks lots, and if he screams it is usually only if he is upset from being startled/scared, or if someone unfamiliar he doesn’t know is close-by. He is pretty social, only really with people he knows though, others are told they are clearly not welcome (by telling them to “get out”) if he doesn’t know them, lol. He is a real character though, loves dancing, his favorite song is Life Life Is A Highway byRascal Flatts and he tries hard to sing along to it, you can’t understand, it is mainly mumbling, but oh so cute!!

Peacelovepets

Jogging around the block
Yes definetly there is a competition with the tv. Eilley gets cage agressive if I don't her toys and perches around often.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I don't find my 5 Quakers loud at all. Maybe cause I am used to it ? They have their certain times, when they will "flock call' to me, usually when I wake up, & when they want out of cage times, and their supper.I am quite lucky I guess . I work some nites, & my birds stay quiet most of the time, untill I wake up, then all flock call to me, speaking their minds to me.4 out of my 5 are gentle and doesn't bite. Bailey ( 1 of my females) is the crabby 1, and does bite me at times Other times, she turns sweet on me.. Each has their own sweet personality, funny habits. 3 of mine also talks and sings as well. I love them all very much.

mlaw69

Moving in
Real Name
marc lawson
If you get a Quaker no matter what, have a cage open policy with them. It really helps towards the cage aggression issue. Also play with him alot! He will become a much calmer and affectionate parrot. Kiwi likes being out of his cage, and would rather play with me than with his toys. Try and get him eating fruits and veggies early, they say a seed only diet is horrible for them, which concerns me he doesn't prefer eating either much for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.