• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

''Inducing''

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi all!
E has had an egg in her oviduct for the past 4 days. (at least that's how long I've felt it for)
If she doesn't lay it by early afternoon tomorrow, she has to go in for surgery. :(
Does anyone think it's too early to get invasive?? Or has she had the egg too long??
If she's ready, are there any foods that will help her lay it so we can get her on Lupron?
Thanks!

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yes, she's also on a liquid calcium prescribed by her vet.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmmm. I just took her out to give her calcium, and gently felt the area (sooooo gently!). I'm feeling a tiny bit of something, but not as much as I felt this morning. I don't think it's crushed because she has no signs of that....
Of course I could be wrong. :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Best to leave her alone and see if she lays the egg, if not soon, then the vet will help. Does she have a bulge down there? Is she pooping ok? Acting normal?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The egg sits high up inside the hen for quite a while before it drops down to the area it gets laid from. Once it has dropped down it becomes much more pronounced and pretty easy to clearly feel. If you've been doing a lot of probing down there you could feel the egg when it's higher up but you really have to dig for it. Once the egg has "dropped" she should lay it within about 3 days. If she's acting normal and eating it's not time to panic yet.

If she is having trouble passing it she may need an calcium injection to help the actions and muscles to lay it.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hope she will be ok. :hug8:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
The egg sits high up inside the hen for quite a while before it drops down to the area it gets laid from. Once it has dropped down it becomes much more pronounced and pretty easy to clearly feel. If you've been doing a lot of probing down there you could feel the egg when it's higher up but you really have to dig for it. Once the egg has "dropped" she should lay it within about 3 days. If she's acting normal and eating it's not time to panic yet.

If she is having trouble passing it she may need an calcium injection to help the actions and muscles to lay it.
I think that's what just appened. :) Thank you so much for explaining. Okay, Anne, promise I will let the vet do it from now on. :)

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yes, I'm going to call the vet in several minutes to form a plan. She is pooping very nicely, eating and drinking, preening, playing. :)
John, she is on a liquid calcium. :) Twice a day.