• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Indoor Aviary Ideas Please

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I am toying with the idea of building Blu my Verde Macaw an aviary in my garage. We have a 1500 square foot garage with central heat and air. We don't park in it so no fumes. I have a woodworking shop in it that is enclosed and vented to the outside. The ceiling is 20 foot high so plenty of room for a flight sized enclosure. Has anyone else built anything like this?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@JLcribber uses his basement. Not sure how similar the two might be, but he'd be the best place to start. :yes3:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I am toying with the idea of building Blu my Verde Macaw an aviary in my garage. We have a 1500 square foot garage with central heat and air. We don't park in it so no fumes. I have a woodworking shop in it that is enclosed and vented to the outside. The ceiling is 20 foot high so plenty of room for a flight sized enclosure. Has anyone else built anything like this?
Sounds like a fabulous idea. If I had what you have I would have done it a decade ago. :)

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I can't wait to hear whether you're going to build this! Will you post as you go for us to follow along if you do?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Ooh, please do keep us posted! If I had the room, I'd do this myself! Are you going to look into planting living plants? There are a lot of things that do well in pots that your bird might enjoy.

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Following because I am planning on turning my porch into a enclosed aviary in the next year or so. I have two large Java Floor Stands so far to use.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You could do an outside attachment too...have a little hatch door that he could go in and out of?

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I'm laying out a 20 foot long, 10 foot wide and 10 foot high metal frame. The wire will be 2 inch by 4 inch powder coated steel. My work is on hold for a month due to hernia surgery. Hope to have it finished by July. Blu is 9 months old now and weighs 1440 grams. He's 37 inches long so he's going to be a big boy. I'm not going to continue to clip his wings. (He came from the breeder clipped). He's trained to an Aviator harness but needs more flight exercise. Hopefully this aviary will provide some of that.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
This is exciting!