• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Indian Ringneck....surprised

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
So, yesterday at the BH seminar there was a little blue Indian Ringneck. It was TINY! I am pretty sure that I have never met one in person before, so I was shocked at how little they are. Are they really this small?? This bird was the size of a Cockatiel. Also, she was VERY social. Jumping onto everyone, very friendly, very outdoing. Is this all typical?

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Funny, I thought the same thing when I met a lutino ringneck last spring. Very pretty, but not really very social.

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Oakley is still a baby but he is still little, slightly bigger than Rhyly tiel. He is also very social but then he is very young and has not learnt to distrust anyone and finds everything/body interesting and worth checking out.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
They shouldn't be that small. Maybe young? Or bad breeding?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Titan is a little bigger than a tiel.He's also a bit sleeker, not as wide as your average tiel. And his tail is twice as long as HE is! As for being friendly, he does hop onto people's shoulders,and will go around a room,interacting with as many people as he can. He's always been people-friendly,but not cuddly. I attribute that to being hand raised. Been that way for 21 years...

Brooke

Real Name
Brooke
They're a bit bigger than a tiel, Sheldon is around 100 grams.
He is not social. He is sweet to me, but doesn't care for anyone else.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
They shouldn't be that small. Maybe young? Or bad breeding?
I think that this one was from a shelter or a stray, it was one of their adoptable birds, I think. It didn't have a ring, so maybe young?

Titan is a little bigger than a tiel.He's also a bit sleeker, not as wide as your average tiel. And his tail is twice as long as HE is! As for being friendly, he does hop onto people's shoulders,and will go around a room,interacting with as many people as he can. He's always been people-friendly,but not cuddly. I attribute that to being hand raised. Been that way for 21 years...
Yes, sleeker than a tiel, but about the same size. I thought that they were just a little smaller than my Regent who is WAY bigger.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
They're a bit bigger than a tiel, Sheldon is around 100 grams.
He is not social. He is sweet to me, but doesn't care for anyone else.
Titan goes about 125g. He got up to 135,and his vet got a little concerned. We cut back on almonds we were giving him,and he's back down where he should be. Still gets almonds, but not as often as before...

Pookamama

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Diana
I saw some at a local rescue and was very surprised how small they were. I was thinking closer to Pepper's size, but nope, much closer to a 'tiel! Longer and a bit thicker, but yeah, smaller than I anticipated!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I was also surprised when I saw a bunch at a bird show last year..our huge lumberingtiel Princess Mitchis bigger than some of them!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
May have been a young Indian Ringneck, but could have also been an adult female, too. They are around the same size as a Moustached Parakeet if you have seen one in person.

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I think some see the inches listed for them and think of similar birds of that length - forgetting most of that is a long tail. They also look smaller than they really are I think. When I first saw beaker I thought he was smaller than Yoshi, my quaker, but when you compare them near each other Yoshi is most definately smaller. Beaker also feels more solid/muscular than Yoshi.
[HR][/HR]

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I think some see the inches listed for them and think of similar birds of that length - forgetting most of that is a long tail. They also look smaller than they really are I think. When I first saw beaker I thought he was smaller than Yoshi, my quaker, but when you compare them near each other Yoshi is most definately smaller. Beaker also feels more solid/muscular than Yoshi.
[HR][/HR][/QUOTE
You make a good point. Those majestic tails make IRNs look bigger than they really are...

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
You know, now that I think about it, I did meet one before, even I aadopted Merlin she had one. I remember thinking she was small also but that was three years ago and I forgot about it. She seemed much smaller than the moustache parakeets that I have seen.

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
I think when you read about IRNs being on average 12-14 inches in length that you compare them to other birds of that length but at least half of that if not 2/3 is their tail. I think they are so beautiful. I didn't really compute how small they are until we brought home Peaches and Willow.

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I think 12-14 inches is small for an IRN. They are more like 16 inches - give or take, but about 50% of that is tail.

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I'll have to get a weight on mine - haven't yet since I just got him.

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Okay - just weighed him. He wasn't too hapy with me but he is 130 grams.

platinum

Real Name
Sharon
Solo is almost 17 inches long, and 135 grams. He really isn't that big though.

Status
Not open for further replies.