• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

indian ringneck or green cheek

mugglemom

Sitting on the front steps
hello. i have been researching parrots for some time now, and when the holidays are over i plan to buy one. i am having trouble choosing between an indian ringneck and a green cheek conure. backstory, we live in an apartment, and we have two children under five. the landlord is fine with us getting a parrot, i have been around different birds before. i like both qualities the birds have to offer, so what in your opinion would be best? my wants... best family bird. which is the worst screamer, or velcro bird? thanks in advance for all the input.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It really comes down to the individual bird. If possible, I would take your family to visit with some parrots and see what clicks! I would personally go with a mature bird (for those species, 3 years old or more I believe) with young children in the home. You will have a better idea of what the personality of the bird is, etc.

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Good luck with your decision, for me it's a tough one. I had a cinn gcc (till he flew out the door) and he was a true little character. I know have an IRN. I love/d them both and would find it very hard to choose. I have a now 10yo son, and both birds were/are great with my son, as was my first tiel. Of the two you asked about, in my experience, the gcc is quieter

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I would go for a GCC, while they are known for nippiness they are fantastic and fun little birds, can be cuddly, generally quiet in comparison to many other birds too making them best suited to apartments.
IRNs can be VERY loud when they mature, and are not a forgiving species, they are flighty and can develop a serious attitude when mature. Don't get me wrong some make lovely pets but you really need to be dedicated to spend the time training and handling them to keep them nice and tame.
I breed and keep both and I always lean towards the GCCs being best suited as family pets.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have 4 Green Cheek Conures, and 1 Indian Ringneck.

All 4 of my Green Cheek Conures are different.. Taji is hands-off, and prefers male people. Lola and Ozzy are my newest additions who are re-homes, they are more bird-birds, they have each other, and they are happy it being that way. Leila is my velcro bird who would be attached to me 24/7 if she had it her way, and I can do pretty much anything with her. Each one of them are still perfect no matter what, and I have no regrets, they are wonderful and very clowny with a big personality. Lola and Ozzy can get incredibly loud when they want to, Leila and Taji can too when they both start screaming, but when I had just the one Green Cheek Conure, she was hardly ever noisy at all.

And my Indian Ringneck, well he is kind of different to most Indian Ringnecks. He is a real sweetie, loves attention, and is really affectionate, myself and one of my brothers can give him scratches, and kisses, not all Indian Ringnecks are like this, and some can be hands-off, but it depends on the Indian Ringneck. He can get loud, as most Indian Ringnecks can, so I would take this into consideration, especially if you have close neighbors.

If you want a more hands-on, quieter (keep in mind all birds are capable of getting loud though) bird, then I would suggest a Green Cheek Conure.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Others have given great advice...welcome and good luck with your decision!!

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I love my ringnecks, but they are not for everyone. I lucked out and my adult male prefers to make the R2D2 noises he learned rather than the "ringneck call" and overall is pretty quiet. I've heard over and over that is not the norm - so take that for what it is worth.

I find ringnecks to be independent birds. They like to interact, but they also like to entertain themselves. Typically they are not overly cuddly, though both of mine seem to really enjoy being with me and riding on my shoulder. Just don't expect snuggles (not that it can't happen, its just not the "norm" for them). I don't think Beaker would be comfortable with children. There was one child in his last home and I think that is a big part of the reason he has such a high aversion to hands. He won't step up onto a hand, but if you hold your arm out he will jump on your arm and go straight for your shoulder to go for a ride.

I've only met a few Green Cheeks, but the ones I have met have been absolute dolls. They will go to anyone and really enjoy snuggling up under your neck. They can be little heart stealers, so be warned. If I was going with a conure species or choosing a bird that I wanted to be comfortable with children I think I would go with a GCC.

Good luck!

mugglemom

Sitting on the front steps
well originally i had planned on a conure, but then i found a ringneck, so i was torn between them. i think i will stay with the conure. i would love to go and pick out a bird in person, but unfortunately, there is nothing within like 200 miles of where i live.this is also something i have had bouncing around my brain...one or two? i would want them to bond with me, and i would play with them equally, but i dont want a bird that needs my attention constantly. having children, they all have to learn to share me lol. has any one had experience with having two conures? i would get them at the same time, should be very close in age, and def same sex.
thank you for all the replies

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I am a big believer in having birds in twos if possible, GCCs will do well in pairs as they are very social and will remain friendly if given regular quality time.

PrincessLilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sheila
I too was down to those too, went with the green cheek, she's very quiet for the most part, (except some of the curtains she hated lol)
Love to cuddle, she plays lego with the kids ( they build she busts haha)I has no regrets
Like someone mentioned "let the bird pick you".