• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Indian Ringneck Bluffing

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Excellent reading Martine!
I bookmarked it, for some reason my Besso never went through it but he is now a plucker.....go figure?

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Yup, know this all to well! Thanks for posting this great article, Martine!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Funny thing is, Sunny still does it, 11 years and counting. Never follows through and bites, but you would think he was coming at you to kill you and then he stops and steps up :rofl:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Yikes, I know that look though!
When the eyes pin, they might as well be King Kong!

Besso will even let me put him on his back but he isn't very happy about it anymore.
But he does it cause it makes me happy....isn't that sweet?

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Yikes, I know that look though!
When the eyes pin, they might as well be King Kong!

Besso will even let me put him on his back but he isn't very happy about it anymore.
But he does it cause it makes me happy....isn't that sweet?
They sure are smarty pants :D

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I never experienced bluffing with either of my girls, however Penny in the last week has become exceptionally nippy, in comparison to her normal behavior. Im hoping she's just telling me she needs more stimulation....we will play it out. Her bites are never hard enough to break skin, so Im willing to tough it out for a bit.

Sparkles

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
Ringo went though that and still does it, but never really chopps my finger off even though looks like she will...just puts on her angry face, and when she sees that I'm not backing down, she steps up :lol:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Do you think this can go for other psittacula as well? My derbyan tyke is being wicked nippy when I handle him.

dwright27

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dawn
How difficult is it to ignore an IRN bite? I've never been bitten by one, but I have a feeling that if I was being clamped down on, it would be quite the task to ignore.

dwright27

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dawn
Could anybody give me their take on my previous post? It would be much appreciated!

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Could anybody give me their take on my previous post? It would be much appreciated!
Biting is not a strong point for our irn. The worst pain he has inflicted was when he nibbled at a plaster I had on my finger to conceal some stitches that were mildly infected. He was just playing with it, I don't think he ever realised he was the reason I started screaming and jumping around!
I have heard of others that draw blood though. Our birds mother apparently bites really hard, but she's an aviary bird and only gets grabbed and manhandled when people touch her so it's pretty justified.

I guess every bird is different and raised differently so it's a hard question. I think flighted irns have less reason to bite when they are young, so they get less practise :D

Barbara's Force Free Animal Training Talk: Do Animals Bluff?

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Henry draws blood..he has a vicious bite. Buttercup..not so much. It's strange how different they are.

dwright27

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dawn
Well, here's hoping that whatever species I end up with, I'll be brave when those nippy times arrive!

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Well, here's hopi g that whatever species I end up with, I'll be brave when those nippy times arrive!
I think this article is well worth reading then: Good Bird Inc Parrot Training Talk: Respecting the Bite

I get a bit worried by the emphasis on the bluffing stage. Sometimes people are upsetting their ringneck by doing something and then justify themselves with saying the bird is just bluffing, instead of considering that what they are doing may be triggering a certain response. ..

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Anyone who has read a few of my posts have probably gathered that I have long been against the gist of these type of articles about bluffing. I wrote to a couple prominent bird trainers about it and sent them a link to one of these bluffing articles.
Barbara Heidenreich has given me permission to quote her response:
"I would say pretty much every force free trainer would disagree with the notion that a parrot is bluffing when it lunges or otherwise shows displeasure with what is happening. Parrots are not bluffing. They are giving very clear communication that don’t like what is going on. Ignoring is not an appropriate response as there are reinforcers happening over which we have no control. The goal is to not put the bird in a situation in which it needs to use biting or any other pre-cursers to biting to get people to stop what they are doing. To me all that body language tells me the person is doing the wrong thing and needs to change their approach. Typically it is the result of coercion.

It is definitely not a stage that passes. And why a bird is more likely to not comply at a certain age is not a mystery as was suggested in the article. A young animal goes through a critical period of development in which they are more open and receptive to certain experiences. This allows them to learn to interact with the world. It is also when people get away with doing a lot of things to birds because they will tolerate it. We can use this to our advantage if we pair handling with good things in that period of development. But if people are just doing things because they can, eventually when the bird matures it will respond with aggressive behavior to get the coercion to stop.

I never use the word bluffing in any animal training. To me the animal is being as clear as it can be ….and we should respect that J Read more here

Barbara's Force Free Animal Training Talk: A Good Start to a Good Bird. Raising and Training a Great Companion Parrot

Barbara's Force Free Animal Training Talk: Help! My Parrot Wont Step Up! "

In light of this, and the fact that all articles on bluffing have no references, appear to be copies of this one and do not appear to come from a qualified source and has no scientific reasoning behind it, I believe that this post on bluffing should not be given the prominence of being a "sticky". If there is to be a sticky on Ringneck Biting it should be founded in good science and bird training practises.

@Birdiemarie @CheekyBeaks @Monica What do you guys think?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
....In light of this... I believe that this post on bluffing should not be given the prominence of being a "sticky". If there is to be a sticky on Ringneck Biting it should be founded in good science and bird training practises.

@Birdiemarie ......What do you guys think?
To keep the important topic of bluffing available to all who search it out and to bring any new material to light, rather than un-stick this thread it's more appropriate to update it with new material as it becomes available. This way people can compare and be aware as any new light on the subject is revealed. :)