• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

In search of Advice for African Grey with PDD

sraisen

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Shera Raisen
Our adorable Sylvie 8 years old stopped talking in 4/2017 and lost about 40 grams of weight; and on xray has VERY enlarged proventricle. After nearly dying from GI bleeding, most likely from the Meloxicam NSAID medication, she is now home with us. We are giving her flagyl, shots of Celebrex anti-inflammatory, and carafate for the stomach lining. I want to offer her the "gloop" that I have read about. HAs anyone heard of any miracles?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
If Sylvie has gone into PDD, it is not likely that she will ever go back to the conditions of a bird who doesn't have it and being able to eat hard foods.
However, she can live a happy and health-stable life for at least several years. This is becoming more common with better diagnosis and Celebrex treatment.

I don't know what the gloop is that you refer to... I think it might be LaFeber's Emeraid Omnivore. This is a powder you mix with water and typically feed with a syringe. It is an excellent option, and the vet must order it from them.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I am so sorry for you and for Sylvie. PDD is so heart wrenching. I have heard of a few miracles here and there. I'm assuming you've done searches on PDD. I wouldn't know where to tell you to look. There may be some Facebook groups. I know there used to be a Yahoo group but I don't know how active it is. I wish you the best of luck and maybe someone else will chime in.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'm very sorry to hear that. I hope you can find some answers and take some comfort from them. Hang in there.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Even if there have never been miracles with PDD, you could be the first. :sadhug:

Stay on the celebrex and find a diet your sweetie will eat. I would suggest adding prozyme to your food to make it easily digestible. Prozyme digestive enzymes | Buy Prozyme for cats and dogs How about handfeeding formulas?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry about Sylvie's diagnosis.

Like @Macawnutz said one of the first things I would do is make Prozyme a regular part of her diet. All prozyme does is predigest her food so it is more easily adsorbed by her digestive system and her digestive system needs all of the help it can get right now.

Here is a bit about Carafate;
"Sucralfate (Carafate): for upper GI bleeding; given 1 hour before food or other drugs; may cause constipation; acts to form a protective barrier in the GI lining; treats stress ulcerations, esophogitis, duodenal ulcerations, GI ulcerations resulting from NSAID use, GI reflux disease; considered safe with few side effects""
Medications Used in Avian and Exotic Medicine and Pharmaceutical Terms

Because Carafate can cause constipation, you might consider mixing a tablespoon of pumpkin into her food when you give it to her. Pumpkin is very good for constipation and is also high in Vitamin A. You can use canned pumpkin - not the pie filling but many of the just plain pumpkin and water brands.

Here is an article written by Dr. Peter Sakas - @Macawnutz vet that will give you a lot of information. Knowledge is power. Proventricular Dilatation Disease and Avian Borna Virus

Flagyl is commonly used for anaerobic bacteria - which would be the case in the digestive system.

I'm hoping for the very best for you and your baby.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Sorry that Sylvie has PDD. Wishing you both the best.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm very sorry your bird has been diagnosed with PDD. Sending good thoughts for you and Sylvie.

sraisen

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Shera Raisen
Thank each and everyone of you for your support and suggestions; it means so much to me. This is a very difficult time we are going through.