• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

In Preparation of Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poetic Ramblings

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
In two weeks I’m bringing home my first Macaw, a two month old (three months on the 10th) male Hahn’s, and I really want to make sure everything’s perfect.

As his cage go, I definitely want to add a new, slightly wider perch and some bigger toys. I think Wes’ toys will be okay for now, especially when he’s a baby and he’s beak isn’t as strong. We also have a tote full of toy making materials, some larger for our Grey. I want to bring some different toy materials with me when I visit him to see what he likes, and have a toy made for him when he comes home.

We’re also thinking of putting Sparky and Junior in Wes’ cage, and Yoshi and Sparky and Junior’s cage, because it’s slightly bigger. (Specifically taller, and as Sparky’s disabled, and Junior’s tiny and getting old, they don’t climb up and down too much or need that space.) We’ll see how things go though.

I definitely want to start working on independent play and positive reinforcement with him as soon as he’s comfortable. The breeders (it’s a “mom and pop” aviary on a much bigger, more professional scale) are nice enough to start harness training with him even before he comes home. I really want to make sure he’s well socialized, so I think this will really be good. They also have a pet Hahn's, so I'm definitely going to talk more with them.

We have a play area in the living room, a wingdow, and a stand in the kitchen that Afie uses, and luckily, isn’t possessive of. (If she wants to be a certain place, she’ll beg, but she won’t get angry, and is generally a very patient bird.) Whether or not he’ll use Afie’s cage as a play area as the other little birds do, will depend on how possessive he is. We’ll also get a basket for him so he has a portable place to sit and play.

As food goes, we have good sized TOPS for him already, and plenty of fruits and veggies already in store of course.

Any other advice/tips on how to prepare the place our new little-big guy? :)

Last edited:

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
My only concern would be cage size.
From what I read it sounds like you're going to put Yoshi in the a cage that used to belong to a budgie and a tiel??
Hahns are SUPER active birds, and if they are going to be in a cage for long periods of time, they really need a HUGE cage.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I would not get a cage smaller than 30x30 or so, minimum. I find my macaws love those zigzag rope perches. They always sleep on those. Congrats on the new addition, how exciting!

Poetic Ramblings

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
My only concern would be cage size.
From what I read it sounds like you're going to put Yoshi in the a cage that used to belong to a budgie and a tiel??
Hahns are SUPER active birds, and if they are going to be in a cage for long periods of time, they really need a HUGE cage.
Westley’s cage is 24x36x22
Sparky and Junior’s cage is 26x38x20
I was afraid that would be a little small. :/

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
It should be okay for a bit but i'd definitely save and upgrade for the future :)

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not sure what those measurement are? What is the width and depth of the cage you are planning for Yoshi?

For a Hahn's .. a cage at least 30" wide and 22" deep is the smallest I'd go. The width is more important. They are very, very active birds, not perch potatoes, and need some room.

Neither a 24" nor a 26" wide cage is big enough, IMO, for Hahn's. Perhaps for a very, very short while, but not for more than a month or two at most.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Definitely, 32" W x 21" D is the smallest I'd go to prevent behavior issues once they grow up--that's the size of Max's cage, and he's not even in it that much.

They are not simple little "pets," IME. Once you've had one start pulling his feathers out, and/or desperately yelling "Want out!" over and over, it changes everything :( So, all of this is to say: Please, please make sure you get a big enough cage... Some people have Hahn's that spend a lot of time caged, but I don't know how they do it. Mine can't be, especially not Max.

If you get started right, with a large cage and lots of out time, it can save lots of trouble in the future. :hug8:

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I know you didn't ask for this, but I suggest you have handfeeding formula on hand. I think your baby will appreciate comfort feedings when he comes home.:)

Ladyredwingrider

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Moni
Congrats on the new baby Hahns, the are wonderful little guys. Looking forward to seeing pics when he comes home.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Yeah definitely a bigger cage when you can. Any active bird needs a lot of space. Can't wait to see the new little guy. :) Maybe you can make sure he spends most of the day out of the cage if it seems to bother him? Set up a play area somewhere that he can work off most of his energy?

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
We're going to look at a cage that belongs to my mom's friend. Her parrot passed away (don't worry, not from a disease), so now the cage is just sitting in her garage. We'll see what shape it is in and how big it is, but it's bigger then Westley's cage. Obviously we'll clean it, but if all goes well, we'll have a new cage for Yoshi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.