• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

In-cage toys for big birds

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I've gotten Isadora a few hanging toys, but I'm kind of at a loss as to how to arrange things without hindering her space in which to move. I have bowls mounted on three of four walls of the cage, and one wall has mounted wood blocks. I don't want to hang them near the food and water, because then the water gets gross. And if I hang them near the blocks, it hides the blocks. I could hang something on the door, but then it doesn't swing because it's resting against the door...

Anyone have photos of big bird cages? How do y'all have things arranged?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:needpics:
Let's see you cage n stuff!
:teacher:
So we can help better

It really doesn't hurt to hide the block, just makes blocks a foraging thing

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I put them either at the end of perches or between some higher perches so Burt has to push past them or use them as a tool to get from one perch to the other but he also likes to hang upside and swing them like crazy and swing off them etc. For Birdie I limit how many obstacles he has to manoeuvre around to get about but for Burt I deliberately put things in his way so he has to move more and interact with them to get about, I also often hang one right in the middle of the cage for him that he can only get to by climbing along the cage roof to hang from and swing from.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know he's not a large bird but this is how I had Tobias's set up. Easier I know when it's a small bird but maybe this will give you some ideas. I liked doing different levels and areas to make it more interesting and a good mix of side mounted and hanging.
I highly recommend a single perch spanning side to side and front to back to make it make it even more creative to do different areas to make levels meet up and have access and playing points with different perches .
20211114_082412.jpg

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
:needpics:
Let's see you cage n stuff!
:teacher:
So we can help better

It really doesn't hurt to hide the block, just makes blocks a foraging thing
I will tomorrow lmao - I posted this after I put her to bed haha

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Here we go.

I guess it probably helps a little bit that she doesn't open her wings in the cage, since I think she still thinks she can't do anything with them.

IMG_8251.jpeg

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Here we go.

I guess it probably helps a little bit that she doesn't open her wings in the cage, since I think she still thinks she can't do anything with them.

View attachment 437630
I've got the huge java perches too. But they took up so much of Dolly's cage, I replaced it with a regular perch so that I could put more hanging toys in for her.
She has her foot toys in her play hut. It just made sense for me until I can get her larger cage. I know what I want, but they're hard to find here.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I've got the huge java perches too. But they took up so much of Dolly's cage, I replaced it with a regular perch so that I could put more hanging toys in for her.
She has her foot toys in her play hut. It just made sense for me until I can get her larger cage. I know what I want, but they're hard to find here.
these perches are actually significantly smaller than they used to be because she’s broken three of them by chewing them apart :shifty: toys? Why would she chew those when there's expensive perches to destroy?!

Last edited:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
these purchase are actually significantly smaller than they used to be because she’s broken three of them by chewing them apart :shifty: toys? Why would she chew those when there's expensive perches to destroy?!
OMG Frankie doesn't even try to chew his. Good thing for me :)
Edit: Nevermind, I see it's just a wee thin one.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Here we go.

View attachment 437630
Such a shame you live miles away I have a massive thick one none of mine care for it

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Such a shame you live miles away I have a massive thick one none of mine care for it
Exactly why I'm starting to bring in tree branches :roflmao: