• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm considering adding a WB Caique to my flock after the new year..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Hmm...there are quite a lot of birds that may play like a caique, but it won't be guaranteed!
I hear red bellies are quite playful, and lorikeets (but they can also get aggressive)... Conures will roll around on their backs.

Truly depends on the bird.

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
There's a lot of conures that play on their backs, as well as pois, I've even seen greys playing on their backs.

All birds are different, so we can only generalize... for all we know you could get a RB that never plays on it's back, a conure that never plays on it's back... and your caique might be fine with your current flock.

Miss Molotov

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ariel
Hey everybody.... from all my research and talking with caique owners here, and Noel, I've decided not to go ahead with it. When Noel and I get our own place, I think i can handle everything about a caique. But since we rent now, ive got to be concerned with noise, and so that means right now, i dont get to have my caique and squeeze it too. :( booohooooooo

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
I too face the same issues with wanting to add a Caique to my flock. I go back and forth on it all the time. I just love them so much but can I handle one and can my flock.
I have decided it will be many years before I add a Caique but I will have one someday.
So I understand the agonizing and making the right decision for your family and flock:hug8:

beakybirdie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danielle
I am sorry for tossing the wrench into the works, I know I am usually saying the bad more than the good about the species. It's just, it's not fair to the bird to be brought home and when it matures suddenly the owner can't handle it and has to rehome it. If your home isn't ready for a caique, it's ok to wait :)

OldBirdLady1983

Real Name
Pickle
I have a friend that has a WB Caique that she is selling really cheap and No I know better and don't and cannot take him. He chases me across the room when I come into the house and anyone else but loves her but will sometimes bite her when anyone walks close to her if he is out on her. He would probably need some time to adjust to a new home but shes being very particular. He talks really well too and is very funny to watch at play. I think he is about 2or 3yrs old at most. Hes got beautiful feathers. Shes been diagnosed with Cancer and so she must rehome him soon :(

Miss Molotov

Real Name
Ariel
I am sorry for tossing the wrench into the works, I know I am usually saying the bad more than the good about the species. It's just, it's not fair to the bird to be brought home and when it matures suddenly the owner can't handle it and has to rehome it. If your home isn't ready for a caique, it's ok to wait :)
See I actually wanted to adopt an adult. I guess, when I really think about it, all of my birds are aggressive, and that's how I ended up with them, lol! They aren't "dive bomb your head" aggressive unless you are not me and you get too close to Joy....but I think honestly, the major thing that's stopping us is the possibility of an increase in noise from my current flock added to the new sounds of the new bird. Oh, and Noel wants me to add "the loss of his sanity" hahaha! I think if I had a bird that preferred Noel, he might eventually be converted to a bird person. :rolleyes:

Miss Molotov

Real Name
Ariel
No thank you! I asked to be talked OUT of it, and I got the information I needed. Thank you for your expertise! :) I know one day, like Crystal, we will get one. It'll just have to wait a few more years. Its just that I keep chancing upon them that makes it so hard!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ariel I think you were wise to wait.:)

crystaljam

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
I love our Jekyll/Hyde...although he can't be out with Stryder, he's neutral towards Merlin.

The personality, I've learnt to adapt to, and vice versa - Rosco and I have a mutual understanding and weird bond that no one else could have.

I'm sad when he's mad and he won't just let me love him, but c'est la vie.

At least with adopting an older one, you have an idea of how the hormonal season will treat you. There are those out there who just aren't overly affected and maintain a consistent personality.

And who can resist the Piggy squeal when they don't get their way (or when the dog tries to steal said Caique's food from his beak!!)

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Okay will someone let me borrow their WBC for a month? Then someone else's for another month?! :lol: This really sounds like a bird you need to experience with before deciding to make the commitment to get your very own *sigh*:huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.