• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

If you were permitted to have only ONE

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
species of parrot, which one would you choose and why? I feel that I would choose a mini macaw and most probably a Severe macaw. I like the size of the package. Severe macaws are the biggest of the mini macs and you get a lot of big MAC personality/characteristic without needing to have the budget to support a big macaw. :lol:

I love that they are not a dusty type of bird and that is a huge benefit for me. I love the level and type of interaction I have with Mabel. She is so loving, and quite frankly when a severe macaw loves you, it's serious bliss and satisfaction.

Believe it or not, I also love that when she plays with her toys, it's with intent to destroy and massacre them. I dislike using toys as cage decorations, nor do I like clutter or hoarding, so this really makes me so happy and gives me reason to shop more. :xflove:

Emma my grey is most definitely my :heart: bird, however there is truly nothing like Severe macaw love and Mabel encompasses everything that I could possibly want to have when it comes to living with a companion parrot. I love being a severe macaw parront.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have the one I want, so it will be a Pionus maximiliani SIY.
Why?
Silent bird, easy to read, perfect size, not dusty, very playful, loves trick and fly-training, loves to take a bath/shower with you, and are independent birds that don't demand your attention 24/7.
For me a Pionus maximiliani SIY is a perfect bird and family member! ♥♥♥

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am wondering whether the white capped pionus parrots are the most dustiest of all the pionus parrots? I would say that Sachi is moderately dusty. :laugh:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Meyer's parrot, hands down :D Aside from being the most beautifully colored parrot in my mind (no offense to any other beauties out there), I just love their personality. I guess most pois are probably similar, but something about those naughty little fluffballs really grabs me. Weeble is a model citizen. Doesn't bite me unless it's my fault, not too loud, loves her toys, eats well, etc. She is also very stubborn and independent, doesn't realize how small she is, and generally has this "I do what I want attitude", but is a total lovebug with me. Beeper is pretty good too, but she is a bit needy and loud at times. I also like their size. Their 33x25 cages take up enough room as it is, but provide them with a roomy enclosure and I already spend enough on destroyables, so their size ensures that I can comfortably afford food and toys for them and be able to set aside money regularly in their emergency/trust fund.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Ohhh...I have my two favorite species. Umbrella cockatoo and scarlet macaw.

I would definitely choose Umbrella cockatoo. I love Mera! Just love scarlets and military macaws. But Umbies are my love birds. Theyre a bird type that gets ME the most and I THEM.

:heart:

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
How do you know which is your :heart: bird? I have had only lovies so far...When i was little my dad had macaws, BFA, YNA & 1 mealy amazon i interacted more with the BFA. I was only 10 years old at the time & didnt knew much about parrots as i know now. So im not sure.

shesocalifornia

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina
Definitely my blue and gold macaw!!!! But I love love my goffin and umbrella. I couldn't live without those three. Honestly I think any parrot brought up correctly is going to be hard to beat!!!! I have only had my M2 for a short while....she is hormonal but also very sweet and snuggly. She has a lot of people problems but all of my rescues had some kinks to work out. My blue and gold I have had since he was a baby and I don't think I could live without him!!!! LOL

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That's a toughy! I think quaker though. I love their sass, their intelligence, and even their stubborness :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I could only have one bird, it would be either an RFM or an Illiger's macaw.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How do you know which is your :heart: bird? I have had only lovies so far...When i was little my dad had macaws, BFA, YNA & 1 mealy amazon i interacted more with the BFA. I was only 10 years old at the time & didnt knew much about parrots as i know now. So im not sure.
I don't know how to answer your question except to say that I feel that Emma and I fit together like a custom fit glove. It didn't happen over night of and we've also been living together for the past 6 years. I feel that we know and understand each other so well. Nothing needs to be said or done in each other's presence. We are extremely comfortable with just being when we are around each other. I often feel that she seems to know me more than I know myself, and has the talent of saying exactly what I need to hear at the right time. I know I've said this before and I'll say it again. I sometime feel that when it comes to My Emma, it's as if our souls touch. :xflove:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That must be a hard decision then, between severe macaw and a grey!
Not really! :wideyed: I can distinguish between how I feel about Emma versus how I feel about african greys in general. I do believe that I really am a big fan of severe macaws without reservation. :xflove: The 2 types of birds are so different in general. Quite frankly, I appreciate the brutal honesty and more extroverted qualities of macaws more than I ever realized possible. If not for Mabel, I would have had no idea. :wideyed:

Last edited:

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
My dream bird is an IRN but i had only seen one and he was sick (he had plucked his tail & the other bird attacked him) and i didnt interacted with him. He was sitting by himself other than that i had never seen a healthy IRN to really say If its my dream bird or not! But with Baylee i feel complete...

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:wideyed: If size, space and budget were a non issue, I 'd say green wing macaw. :heart:

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Arg, that's a hard question. Right now I would have to say African Grey. Although, I'm basing that purely on Josie's personality. Lots of attitude and spunk while still being very intelligent and thoughtful. Plus, I love a bird that can make me laugh several times a day.

Quakers and Amazons would be a close second. I just love birds with attitude!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Amazon all the way- I just love them so so very much, the first one I really ever met was Sammy & she is my :heart: bird for sure, I just love how sassy they are, and beautiful, how she gets excited by my voice & trills/pins her eyes, how she loves showers & cuddles with me. Cockatiels would be a close second though, as they were my very first bird- & I love them because they are charming, calm, cudddly & if you are having a bad day all you have to do is look at their cute faces hehe! how they whistle & do heart wings aww!