• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

If you found a Stray/Lost dog would you give it shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Browsing my local craigs list the last few weeks I have came across many many many ads where people have had dogs wonder in their yards, or "dropped off" or what ever and they take it upon themselves to give these dogs Shots (most common ones I've seen are the 8 N 1 Shots

I was very surprised by this - They do not know the dog, they don't know its history for all they know the dogs are 100% up to date on shots and could of just currently had them and there they are giving shots the dog has already had

Do these people not have brains? or choose just not use them? do they not realize the internal damage they can and most likely are doing by giving these dogs double doses of meds they've already received

I posted about it on CL of course within 3 mins it was flagged and removed- GUESS THE TRUTH HURT!

But I put on there that if my dog ever got out and some one took it upon their self to give her shots They would be SUED my dog is up to date on shots including Rabies

and I don't think they liked me stating that the ONLY reason I can think of them doing something this thoughtless was so they could put the dog on CL for MONEY most stated "the fee is just to recover the costs of the shots" WELL who died and made you god? Who told you to give a strange dog shots? Why should they get that money back? Specially if the dog has already had all its shots, it didn't need them to start with So why should any one pay them for a dog they found for free It was their call to go spend money on these unneeded shots no one elses, They should just suck it up and not ask for a fee to recover the costs of the shots no one told them to give it to the dogs and I do feel sorry for the dogs who were up to date on shots and had to get them again because the person was to ignorant to just start looking for the owners

and that leads me to another thing NONE of them ever say if they bothered to find the owners

one was Found in their yard the SAME day they posted the ad to "re-home" the dog they just gave shots too! Never bothered to find the owners :(

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
No...and personally I would call the dog officer or the Police (depending if you live in a big city or town or village)...I have done that a number of times with stray dogs....the officers have always been very good about coming and finding the dog or telling that the owner has called and reported the dog missing, etc...
But 'giving a dog shots' and then putting on CL etc is not a good way to get a dog back to its owners....JMHO:hug8:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
No...and personally I would call the dog officer or the Police (depending if you live in a big city or town or village)...I have done that a number of times with stray dogs....the officers have always been very good about coming and finding the dog or telling that the owner has called and reported the dog missing, etc...
But 'giving a dog shots' and then putting on CL etc is not a good way to get a dog back to its owners....JMHO:hug8:
I didn't think so either. I've never ever considered giving shots to a lost/stray dog I've found. now maybe if I've used up every resource and never found the owner Then Yes I would but Not Before that!

I don't know if Giving them shots they already had would actually hurt their organs or not - BUT I figured I'd use that line to at least scare some sense into some of the brainless people on CL

I was just surprised at how many I've seen doing it and it wasn't even the same ad posted different days they were all a different dog or dogs

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Nope, not without knowing the dogs vet history. Like you said already, the dog could be getting shots it had only just had recently. I don't understand why Vets would allow someone that has taken in a lost or stray dog to give a dog shots without full well knowing anything about the dog. :shrug: (UNLESS the person said it was [FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE]their[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT] dog and did not state it is lost or a stray)[/FONT]

Shamrock

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Meredith
It won't hurt the dog to give it another round of shots even if it's already had them...and if I had a stray come here that I was allowing to stay here while I was trying to locate it's owner, then YES, I would give it vaccs to make sure it, my other pets, and myself were protected.
The problem with people running out to their farm and home stores to get vaccines is that if those vaccinations were improperly handled during shipping they can be rendered useless...likewise a person who incorrectly gives the vaccine (intracutaneously as opposed to subcutaneously) can seriously diminish the efficacy or the ability of the vaccine to be utilized by the dog at all.
I would also be giving the dog a dose of strongid dewormer as well as an oral flea preventative to be sure that if it had a topical flea preventative it wouldn't contraindicate that.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Nope, not without knowing the dogs vet history. Like you said already, the dog could be getting shots it had only just had recently. I don't understand why Vets would allow someone that has taken in a lost or stray dog to give a dog shots without full well knowing anything about the dog. :shrug: (UNLESS the person said it was [FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
their[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
dog and did not state it is lost or a stray)[/FONT]

Because not all shots have to be given at a vets office, some can be bought at a Tractor Supply store which is a store for farmers - horses, cows, mainly but sells for all animals in general

like this one for example
Durvet Canine Spectra 5, Single Dose with Syringe - 2451312 | Tractor Supply Company[/SIZE]
[/FONT]

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
It won't hurt the dog to give it another round of shots even if it's already had them...and if I had a stray come here that I was allowing to stay here while I was trying to locate it's owner, then YES, I would give it vaccs to make sure it, my other pets, and myself were protected.
The problem with people running out to their farm and home stores to get vaccines is that if those vaccinations were improperly handled during shipping they can be rendered useless...likewise a person who incorrectly gives the vaccine (intracutaneously as opposed to subcutaneously) can seriously diminish the efficacy or the ability of the vaccine to be utilized by the dog at all.
I would also be giving the dog a dose of strongid dewormer as well as an oral flea preventative to be sure that if it had a topical flea preventative it wouldn't contraindicate that.
I agree completely. If it were going to be around my animals and I had intentions of keeping it until I found the owner, I'd absoultely vaccinate, deworm, and flea treat. But I would NOT ask for that $$$ from the owner if they claimed their dog and I also would not pass on that cost to someone that chose to adopt if the dog was not claimed.

Because not all shots have to be given at a vets office, some can be bought at a Tractor Supply store which is a store for farmers - horses, cows, mainly but sells for all animals in general

like this one for example
Durvet Canine Spectra 5, Single Dose with Syringe - 2451312 | Tractor Supply Company
Not sure if its the same everywhere, but here in KS the only vaccination that has to be given by a vet is rabies. But I would not suggest everyone use this method. Yes, it is cheaper, but you need to be sure you are properly administering the vaccination.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I wouldn't give any stray I found medical treatment unless it was in obvious immediate need, eg: covered in ticks/fleas/passing worms or needed emergency treatment (HBC, trauma, etc). Now, if it had been a week or two and the dog was still with me and no owners had come forward? Then yes, I'd take it in, get it shots and dewormed in the expectation that I was probably stuck with the critter until I found it a new home. Despite what some people believe, getting shots will not harm the majority of animals, even if they've just had them. Now, the DIY stuff at the grange? No thanks, I won't touch it with a 10ft pole- there's no way to tell if it's been shipped and handled properly and is even worth the plastic it's wrapped in.

But finding a dog and 'rehoming' it on CL same-day? Where I live, you have to have a dog in your possession for 30 days before it's legally yours. Or, you can take it to the shelter for the 72 hour stray hold (length varies shelter to shelter) and then get it back. The shelters I've worked with are happy to return dogs to finders once the stray hold is over if the finders want the dog or cat.

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
I wouldn't give any stray I found medical treatment unless it was in obvious immediate need, eg: covered in ticks/fleas/passing worms or needed emergency treatment (HBC, trauma, etc). Now, if it had been a week or two and the dog was still with me and no owners had come forward? Then yes, I'd take it in, get it shots and dewormed in the expectation that I was probably stuck with the critter until I found it a new home.
I should have added this same thing to my OP. I would not seek immediate treatment unless it was needed. I would initially keep the stray apart from the rest of my animals as to not pass on any unknown infections or disease.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
a topical flea preventative it wouldn't contraindicate that.
Actually, quite a few dogs have intolerances vaccines and it can hurt them and can in fact be fatal for some. Also, if the dog is exposed to other dogs shortly after being vaccinated it is not necessarily make the dog safe or free from disease. And, some diseases can be carried and shed even if the dog has been vaccinated. So, no, I would personally not vaccinate a dog that I found. If I found a dog and couldn't find the owner and chose to foster it or keep it rather than take it to the shelter, then I would get it vaccinated and spayed/neutered or whatever else needed to be done. I would put flea treatment on it though.

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
I agree that asking for money to cover the cost of something I voluntarily had done is just not right, nor is turning around and rehoming a dog you just found for a rehoming fee. People use anything to get money now days. :mad:

Vaccinations generally take up to 2 weeks for a dog to be considered protected. Now, If the dog were to be kept at my place while I tried to locate the owner, it would be vaccinated, dewormed, and given a Comfortis pill for fleas and be kept completely seperated from any contact with my own dog for those 2 weeks.
Yes, there are problems with reactions to certain vaccinations such as distemper. Some manufacturers have a lower instance of dogs having reactions to their vacc, but it wouldn't matter if the dog hadn't been vaccinated for over a year...if it's going to react to a vaccine it will react to it no matter what. Keeping oral diphenhydramine on hand (1mg/lb) and knowing the signs of a vacc reaction (which usually happens within the first 30 minutes of giving the vacc, but can happen hours after it was given) so immediate action can be taken is crucial.
Don't get me wrong....I'm not saying that anyone else should do what I do....but if I am keeping a dog here on my premises, that is what I will do. ;)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Yes, there are problems with reactions to certain vaccinations such as distemper. Some manufacturers have a lower instance of dogs having reactions to their vacc, but it wouldn't matter if the dog hadn't been vaccinated for over a year...if it's going to react to a vaccine it will react to it no matter what. Keeping oral diphenhydramine on hand (1mg/lb) and knowing the signs of a vacc reaction (which usually happens within the first 30 minutes of giving the vacc, but can happen hours after it was given) so immediate action can be taken is crucial.
There are many dogs that are at risk to have a vaccination reaction and/or have had one and that is why they aren't vaccinated, because it is a danger to them. Just giving Bendadryl is not going to reverse every reaction, and if it's not my dog, should I be making that decision to potentially put the dog at risk? In my opinion, no. I know that a lot of people think that vaccines are no big deal but having had a dog that was a close friend of mine die from a vaccination reaction and having multiple high risk dogs myself, it is a very serious issue. Besides if my dogs ARE vaccinated then they are not really at risk for most diseases. JMO

And, I agree that if the owner isn't found and the dog becomes a "foster" that actually belongs to you, of course, you have the right to care for it as you see fit, but if it's someone's pet that happened to get out and it has a home, I don't think it's ethical to do anything other than emergency care that would be needed.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
kelli i have found quite a few dogs and if I decide I will give them a home while i look for their owners I do give them shots.
I went to my vet and asked him if giving them shots would hurt them if they had already received them recently and my vet said no. It doesn't hurt them at all.

I always keep the receipt to show the owner what they had done and explain to them that I had to make sure the doggy was healthy for his own sake and the sake of my babies.

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
There are many dogs that are at risk to have a vaccination reaction and/or have had one and that is why they aren't vaccinated, because it is a danger to them. Just giving Bendadryl is not going to reverse every reaction, and if it's not my dog, should I be making that decision to potentially put the dog at risk? In my opinion, no. I know that a lot of people think that vaccines are no big deal but having had a dog that was a close friend of mine die from a vaccination reaction and having multiple high risk dogs myself, it is a very serious issue. Besides if my dogs ARE vaccinated then they are not really at risk for most diseases. JMO
I totally understand your position on the matter and having a dog who has reactions as well I can totally relate. My collie has reactions so when we take her to be vaccinated she is "pre treated" with injectable diphenhydramine about 15 minutes before vaccinating her.
Benadryl will not reverse a reaction, but can help by giving you a little more time to get the dog to the vet should a reaction occur. I live in the middle of no where, so most dogs that wander through here have never had a vaccination. Most dogs that do come through here don't hang around for more than a few minutes, but on rare occasion one will want to hang around and that's when I do what I do.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I totally understand your position on the matter and having a dog who has reactions as well I can totally relate. My collie has reactions so when we take her to be vaccinated she is "pre treated" with injectable diphenhydramine about 15 minutes before vaccinating her.
Benadryl will not reverse a reaction, but can help by giving you a little more time to get the dog to the vet should a reaction occur. I live in the middle of no where, so most dogs that wander through here have never had a vaccination. Most dogs that do come through here don't hang around for more than a few minutes, but on rare occasion one will want to hang around and that's when I do what I do.
Yes, I am hypersensitive to it because it has affected me in a very deep and personal way. I am not saying vaccinating is wrong, I just get very frustrated when vaccinations are presented as completely benign and no big deal because that isn't the case for many animals. Also, in my area (suburb in Northern California) most of the dogs that I would be dealing with are owned animals that have been vaccinated at some point in their lives.

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
It is very frustrating, especially when you know the risks involved. I totally get ya sista and I agree whole heartedly with ya especially in circumstances such as yours and where you are. :hug8:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
See I wasn't sure if giving them a double (or in some cases triple) doses would hurt - But I mainly said that just to scare the people into thinking twice about doing it.

I can understand if its been several weeks and no owner found and they've done all they could do - fliers, scanning, posting online, etc. Then That i wouldn't mind if they took it upon their self to vaccinate the dog or cat but if its just that day you found it No I won't agree to it, keep that dog or cat in an area your cat/dog doesn't ever go Like at my house it would be my laundry room I do not allow Sheba in there at all the door is closed at all times Unless I am in there and One of the main reasons she isn't allowed in there is because there is a snap mouse trap in there(of course if I used that room for a stray I'd remove the mouse trap) plus Sheba still likes to steal socks so the laundry room is off limits to the "Queen" and she's fine with that she has many other rooms to roam around in.

and that room is tile So i could disinfect it very easily

and I'm glad to see I was not 100% wrong saying giving them vaccinations when your not the owner could hurt the dog - I'm sure their vaccines aren't much different than humans and there are some human vaccines people can't get because the ingredients has something they are allergic to

and off topic sort of but I figured what the heck I'll ask Since I've read it a few times on CL

if a female dog is pregnant - Can they still be fixed while pregnant?????? I know HUMANS can not - My sister went to get her tubes tied and couldn't because she was pregnant with her 3rd child and didn't know it! But I didn't think you could get a pregnant dog fixed thought you had to wait til after the babies were born?

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
if a female dog is pregnant - Can they still be fixed while pregnant?????? I know HUMANS can not - My sister went to get her tubes tied and couldn't because she was pregnant with her 3rd child and didn't know it! But I didn't think you could get a pregnant dog fixed thought you had to wait til after the babies were born?[/SIZE said:
[/COLOR][/FONT]
Yes, you can spay a pregnant dog. In people they just tie off the ovarian ducts that transport the egg to the uterus, and I'd bet they refuse to do it because of liability and damage it might cause to the pregnancy. You're not taking out any parts in people who have their 'tubes tied.'

In dogs, the ovaries, the oviducts and the uterus is entirely removed. So, it really doesn't matter if there's anything in the uterus or not... you're taking it out anyway. It's not uncommon to do c-section and spay in full term dog pregnancies like this, actually. You just spay the mom and then get the puppies out of the uterus and wake them up. Now, the ethics of canine or feline 'abortion,' since you're ending the pregnancy if you spay a pregnant animal, are a separate matter entirely that some people feel very strongly one way or another about.

Status
Not open for further replies.