• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

If Mango was yours

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
If Mango was yours how would you tame him? Would you continue to do what im doing and just give him his space and just talk to him? or would you do something else? Mango flew over to my bed today when I was lying down and then he flew back to the cage, does that mean anything.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
It depends really.
You have to be consistent with taming or else it'll never happen. Slow and steady is the best way to go about it, so if just calming talking to him gets him comfortable then go with that.
When he flew over to your bed when you were laying down, he could have taken that as less threatening as opposed to you standing.

Just remember to always go at the birds pace, never rush him.
Good luck with Mango. :)

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
If Mango was yours how would you tame him? Would you continue to do what im doing and just give him his space and just talk to him?
A true story:
Well over 35 years ago, we purchased our very first parrot (I know, BAD!!) from a pet store.
Cleo was a Greater Sulfur Crested Cockatoo, wild caught. A nervous, frightened parrot.

In those days, there was no one to ask, no Internet, only books from the library.
We left her massive cage door open....
We made a simple stand and kept it in the living room, which was across a hallway and across a room away from her cage.
I spent countless hours talking to her...plunked in a chair, next to Cleo's cage.
Not once did I attempt to touch her, or handle her.

Fast forward, about 8 months....
We were in the living room watching TV.
The sounds of pitter-patter, little feet....and there was Cleo; she casually climbed up to the top of the stand we had made for her, ate 1/2 grape from my hand - and the rest was history!!!
Cleo was a lovely, very quiet, very affectionate Cockatoo.

We simply let her observe, and when she was ready, her curiosity got the best of her.
There was no 'taming or training' involved.
Just my spin on things - patience is key!!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
A true story:
Well over 35 years ago, we purchased our very first parrot (I know, BAD!!) from a pet store.
Cleo was a Greater Sulfur Crested Cockatoo, wild caught. A nervous, frightened parrot.

In those days, there was no one to ask, no Internet, only books from the library.
We left her massive cage door open....
We made a simple stand and kept it in the living room, which was across a hallway and across a room away from her cage.
I spent countless hours talking to her...plunked in a chair, next to Cleo's cage.
Not once did I attempt to touch her, or handle her.

Fast forward, about 8 months....
We were in the living room watching TV.
The sounds of pitter-patter, little feet....and there was Cleo; she casually climbed up to the top of the stand we had made for her, ate 1/2 grape from my hand - and the rest was history!!!
Cleo was a lovely, very quiet, very affectionate Cockatoo.

We simply let her observe, and when she was ready, her curiosity got the best of her.
There was no 'taming or training' involved.
Just my spin on things - patience is key!!
With a few minor differences, this is the Cassie's story with us. In the excitement of bringing a bird into our lives, we sometimes are too quick to try to tame/ train them. Steady, calm patience is so essential...

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
@Deejo I think that would be different for me because he has two Cockatiels he can turn to and just forget about me if I never touch him.

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
When you say "tame" does he not want to be held or carried on shoulder?

I integrated my two into all household activities, doing laundry, cooking, vacuuming, room we were in etc. with them riding on my shoulder. I know this is very different from the other advice. I am not saying to expect the bird to feel " comfortable" in it all at first but if he can sit on your shoulder while you do various things in the house where he is observing and you aren't reaching up or messing with him while he observes his home and surroundings on your shoulder, he would probably learn to enjoy that verses stuck in one spot and want to come to you for entertainment.
It's just a thought and an option but of course only if you are comfortable with it too.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
When you say "tame" does he not want to be held or carried on shoulder?

I integrated my two into all household activities, doing laundry, cooking, vacuuming, room we were in etc. with them riding on my shoulder. I know this is very different from the other advice. I am not saying to expect the bird to feel " comfortable" in it all at first but if he can sit on your shoulder while you do various things in the house where he is observing and you aren't reaching up or messing with him while he observes his home and surroundings on your shoulder, he would probably learn to enjoy that verses stuck in one spot and want to come to you for entertainment.
It's just a thought and an option but of course only if you are comfortable with it too.
If he is on my shoulder he dosent stay there he will just fly off somewhere.And no he dosent like to be held he is afraid of hands.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I suggest reading up on target and clicker training.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I just left Lurches door open when we were home and very slowly he decided to actually come out, then get closer and closer to me, finally on my chair, then on me. That probably took a year, but to actually decide I didn't need a bite every time something he didn't like happened took much longer.
He now tries to fly to me if I leave the room, loves hanging out and sharing dinner, getting scritches, and treats. He will still get pissy and bite but he doesn't do it near as often, or try as hard as he used too because I now think he likes us and has accepted us as his flock. It took about 5 years for him to be mostly loving and all that but he got better and better as time went on. The other thing is to avoid the triggers that cause bites, and read their body language, if they're grumpy leave em alone and once they cheer up you can interact with them.
Lurch is pretty easy to read but at first he didn't give any warnings, he would just bite, then he realized we respected him and his warnings so he started giving them again rather then just bite as fast and hard as he could.
Some birds warm right up, some take a long time, so just take a long term approach and eventually he'll decide on his own your a family member and have earned his trust.
One thing is Lurch was a used parrot and was scared to death when he got here having lost his first owner then living in a new home with many strange birds so he was mad at the world and ready for a fight.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
I just left Lurches door open when we were home and very slowly he decided to actually come out, then get closer and closer to me, finally on my chair, then on me. That probably took a year, but to actually decide I didn't need a bite every time something he didn't like happened took much longer.
He now tries to fly to me if I leave the room, loves hanging out and sharing dinner, getting scritches, and treats. He will still get pissy and bite but he doesn't do it near as often, or try as hard as he used too because I now think he likes us and has accepted us as his flock. It took about 5 years for him to be mostly loving and all that but he got better and better as time went on. The other thing is to avoid the triggers that cause bites, and read their body language, if they're grumpy leave em alone and once they cheer up you can interact with them.
Lurch is pretty easy to read but at first he didn't give any warnings, he would just bite, then he realized we respected him and his warnings so he started giving them again rather then just bite as fast and hard as he could.
Some birds warm right up, some take a long time, so just take a long term approach and eventually he'll decide on his own your a family member and have earned his trust.
One thing is Lurch was a used parrot and was scared to death when he got here having lost his first owner then living in a new home with many strange birds so he was mad at the world and ready for a fight.
Mango never bites and I know his body language.Mango dosent live in a cage and when he did he would come out himself.What u did wouldnt work with Mango if he has bird friends.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Lurch is here by himself so other birds distracting him has never been a problem and hes happy with life now but it was a long road to get here. Lurch now comes out whenever we are home and out there with him and hates to go to bed at night but getting a much bigger cage with a bigger door has helped a lot as I just play with his bells and he runs right in to defend his stuff.
I think eventually Mango will calm down and get curious about you anyways but maybe it will take longer with all the other birds he can interact with.
I'm sure others with multiple birds will jump in with what worked for them, good luck, it will be worth it in the end.

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
If he is on my shoulder he dosent stay there he will just fly off somewhere.And no he dosent like to be held he is afraid of hands.
Ok. You asked what we would do if he was ours so this is what I would do based on fly away: I would take him in a room he isn't used to, no cage to fly to, let him out and fly somewhere in room then remove the cage, and you sit on floor doing something, reading, whatever, but ignore home. See if he will eventually walk over to you. Once he does have a treat to put down and let him take it while you keep about your business. If he stays around you, place another treat down, and so on. Take him back to his normal surroundings after an hour. Repeat next day.

That is what I would try. He needs to view you as a non threat and that he gets something good when he comes near you.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Ok. You asked what we would do if he was ours so this is what I would do based on fly away: I would take him in a room he isn't used to, no cage to fly to, let him out and fly somewhere in room then remove the cage, and you sit on floor doing something, reading, whatever, but ignore home. See if he will eventually walk over to you. Once he does have a treat to put down and let him take it while you keep about your business. If he stays around you, place another treat down, and so on. Take him back to his normal surroundings after an hour. Repeat next day.

That is what I would try. He needs to view you as a non threat and that he gets something good when he comes near you.
I dont know what u mean take him in a room and then let him out? let him out where? And what would removing the cage do if he dosent live in the cage? Your advice seems worth a try but I dont quite understand it.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I think She means just take him to a quiet room he doesn't know, just you and him, and let him find a comfy place to roost while you just do stuff. Seeing how he wont have any distractions and doesn't think of it as his nest eventually you'll peek his interest and he'll come over to see what your up to. You can quietly give or place a treat by him and eventually he'll realize good things come from you and your trustworthy, then he'll warm up and decide your a flock mate/friend.:)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He needs to view you as a non threat
The best way for that is to give the bird time and not forcing him or make him unsure to get him in a new or another room the he doesn't know. Not fair!
Their is no need for tame training as long as the bird is afraid. Leave him alone until he trust you and for that you most respect him and what he wants, more then what you want.
He will come to you and when he does don't touch him, let him investigate you first. And when he comes you can also give him some treats.
If he is afraid, never tame training when he is in his cage. The cage must be his safe area/property so he can build some confidence.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
I think She means just take him to a quiet room he doesn't know, just you and him, and let him find a comfy place to roost while you just do stuff. Seeing how he wont have any distractions and doesn't think of it as his nest eventually you'll peek his interest and he'll come over to see what your up to. You can quietly give or place a treat by him and eventually he'll realize good things come from you and your trustworthy, then he'll warm up and decide your a flock mate/friend.:)
Ill try that but not the treat part that will only cause him to fly.