• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I wish my hello was pleasant

ConureParront

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
nope
I'm new here, and I apologize that my new coming has come with a problem that I can't shake off but..

My room mate wants to get a African grey when he lives on his own next year, and yes I know it doesn't sound too bad but unfortunately it is.

He's the sort of person that forgets about the major things.. I have 2 Fids and when me and my fiance asked him to watch them for three days we came back to two empty crops locked in their cages with their food and water dish in the sink.

He doesn't clean after himself, his toothbrush is a year old and missing a heck lot of bristles, he doesn't do laundry for two months and wears the same clothes for days on end..

When he does try and handle my birds he rubs their vents, pulls their tails, and feeds them foods I've told him many times not to. ( health concerns) when I first found out about him wanting a bird he asked me if African greys fly and what bone he as to get surgically removed in order for his future bird not to fly. This is just the tio of the iceberg and I really don't know what to do.

To my bird loving friends,

Ms. Worried sick.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Yikes... Perhaps he will reconsider if you tell him what a HUGE, lifelong commitment this this? What if you explained how PRICEY exotic avian veterinarians are, and that a basic wellness exam + blood work can run several hundred dollars before any diagnosis?? Is he willing to have a solid vet fund savings with AT LEAST $1000 in it? What about spending approx. $1000 upfront on a nice cage, supplies and food on top of the bird's cost?

vmashley03

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
Oh goodness! Wow that's some interesting thinking on his part about "surgically" preventing a bird from flying (not sure I've heard that before--usually it's just the whole clip vs not clip debate) :blink: Have you tried showing him all the expenses (both upfront and long term) that owning birds entails? I think if people knew what i spend on the Grey Girls they would probably either think I'm crazy or run the other way :run:You might also want to tell him how much attention birds need especially in terms of entrenchment and foraging opportunities. I could not imagine either of my girls having to live with someone like you described.

PS :welave:And hope you share stories/pics about your birds! :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I do not think that any veterinarian would pinion a parrot knowing that that was his reason. However, to help deter him you could tell him that avian surgery can cost thousands. Also, parrots are very sensitive to having anesthesia and some do not wake up. If he knew that, then perhaps he would choose to save his money. Another point is will he have his own house? Parrots can be very loud, especially when isolated and left alone. Neighbors will most likely complain about the noise. If he knows that many things could cause him to be out a large amount of money then he may change his mind.

I would like to state that I do not personally feel that having an animal and properly caring for it is a waste of money. I was merely trying to give ideas to talk him out of it.

Matt

Cyreen

Be sure to tell him all about plucking, screaming, overgrown beaks and claws that can result from neglect. Tell him every horror story you can think of and when you run out, Google more (with pictures). Scare the crap out of him.

ConureParront

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
nope
Unfortunately he is as intelligent as a rock.. And I'm not kidding! ( he took a pepper grinder and shook it for a good 30 minutes and got frustrated)
He's also against women speaking up, he tells my boyfriend to " control your woman" when I get snippy or tell them to help clean or cook when I need help. I'm thinking of putting pictures up of neglected birds or writing him out a journal about what can happen if he doesn't do it right.. He's a super cheap guy and has been wearing these broken sandals for a long time. :arghh:

So embarrassing when parents come over.

Should I go ahead and write the journal? Put pictures of neglected birds and care info and just pray he's not going to kill a feathered baby before their time? I'd honestly hold myself responsible if anything happens to any animal under his care.

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
Unfortunately he is as intelligent as a rock.. And I'm not kidding! ( he took a pepper grinder and shook it for a good 30 minutes and got frustrated)
He's also against women speaking up, he tells my boyfriend to " control your woman" when I get snippy or tell them to help clean or cook when I need help. I'm thinking of putting pictures up of neglected birds or writing him out a journal about what can happen if he doesn't do it right.. He's a super cheap guy and has been wearing these broken sandals for a long time. :arghh:

So embarrassing when parents come over.

Should I go ahead and write the journal? Put pictures of neglected birds and care info and just pray he's not going to kill a feathered baby before their time? I'd honestly hold myself responsible if anything happens to any animal under his care.
I would seriously encourage him to read information on this forum. Particularly the "good, bad and ugly" stickies...maybe that will dissuade him from parrot ownership..show him the "bite" thread too...these birds can pack a good serious bite (even when playing they can still get you good)

Last edited:

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
Seems like the kind of person who needs to be overloaded with all the bad and ugly things, and everything that can go wrong. Make it about THEM and THEIR inconveniences, not the bird -
  • it'll be loud,
  • it'll be annoying and demanding,
  • it'll leave feathers and down and poop everywhere,
  • it'll fling food,
  • it'll be indiscriminately DESTRUCTIVE,
  • it'll chew wires, chew through doors, chew desks, chairs, walls, keyboards, break phones
  • it'll be expensive to feed, expensive to vet, expensive to take in for an emergency (that's IF a vet will even be able to see them!),
  • it'll be expensive to house,
  • it'll be expensive to amuse,
  • it'll fly even when clipped (someone who even has to ASK about pinioning should not be getting a bird),
  • it'll bite the ever-loving crap out of them if it isn't socialized often enough,
  • it'll wake them up at night and in the morning
Show pictures of bites, pictures of chewed up doors and destroyed electronics, routine vet bills, poop-caked floors and whatnot. Make sure to mention the harm to humans bird dust and poop will cause. If you already know they're a lazy slob about good general maintenance, don't even bother prefacing it with "if you don't clean up after it". Someone who is set on a decision with blatant disregard for anything else, including all the factors part of said decision won't respond well to logic. What they respond well to is a reality slap in the face about why it's bad for THEM. They chose this idea because they see the benefit of having something cool - it's not to save an animal and give it a good home, it's selfishness. Best of luck!

Oh, and welcome!

edit; meant to say dust, not down ;)

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I would ask him two things -
1. Why he wants a bird to begin with
2. Why he thinks he'll be a good bird caretaker

Once he's answered those 2 questions, then ask him if he knows of a bone (or grey matter) that can be removed from him so he forgets about wanting to own any kind of bird. And remind him of the fact that he couldn't take care of 2 birds for 3 days. I know you can't probably say these things exactly but you might be able to moderate what I've said so you can say it to your roommate.

He'd be better suited to a stuffed bird.

Latency

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ashley
Hello, and welcome!
I understand your worry. My little sister is obsessed with birds and always asks me to bring mine over to visit and talks forever and how she wants her own parrot.
To compromise, we got her a diamond dove. Small, not as high-maintenance as a parrot and I can help her with random stuff as needed, even though I don't live there.

Now, she's a 10 year old, not an adult. I'm not sure how much convincing you could do but after she saw my scabs/scars from bird bites it helped deter her from wanting a big bird. (My pionus is pretty large compared to her tiny hands!) so I have faith if she ever buys her own parrot she will come to me for advice and make the right decision when time comes. Hopefully you can shock him into the reality of bird ownership. When I saw he wanted an African grey my first thought was because they're known to be the best talkers. May want to emphasize that NOT EVERY BIRD WILL TALK. And if he/she does talk, it won't happen nearly as often as the screaming if he/she isn't happy.

Best of luck. -hugs to you.-