• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I want to like you, but...

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This seemed to be Snerky's reaction to having my friend's presence in the apartment for a few days. I thought she might actually want to be friends since she didn't immediately attack or show overt hostility towards my friend! That's typically how she reacts to new people - immediate and obvious aggression. So this was a new thing for me.

She kept flying to land on my friend's head - repeatedly. I would retrieve her. And then shortly after my friend arrived, Snerky bit me - HARD. She drew blood. Every time I took her out, she would be okay for a few minutes (though generally acting more aggressive with growling and posturing) and then pinch me hard or bite me. She just seemed generally pissed off. Yet she wanted to come out SO BADLY. I was torn. Even if my friend was out of sight, she would do this. Finally I couldn't even let her on my friend's head as I discovered she was only landing on her head so that she could lean down to try to bite an ear or whatever else she could reach! It was almost as if Snerky wanted to like her, but more and more just felt she was an invader that had to be driven out. I started calling her my little antichrist, and terror chicken! :eek:

The night my friend left, I went to take her out again (cringing at this point in anticipation of being bitten) and she was totally different. She became sleepy on my hand and just sat there for a while. She fluffed and clicked, and was generally calm again. Such a profound contrast from the covert terrorist she had been only hours before! I have no idea how she knew my friend was totally gone and wasn't just out of sight, but it was really obvious by her behavior that she was relaxed and back to normal Snerky. She was plainly satisfied that the intruder had been driven out of her territory! I have not been bitten or even pinched since then.

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I hAve never tried to see IF Kiwi is territorial wIth The whole appartament Or Just her cage. I know Baylee isn't aggressive at all. Today Kiwi tried several times to Land on my mom which is weird. o_O But thinking about It she was trying to attack the phone (MY mom was talking on the phone.)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You have both extremes there, lol.

I never thought I'd have a bird that decided the whole apartment belonged to him/her, but I guess there's always a first time!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kiwi hates phones! :lol:
Snerky, too! I wonder if it's a female lovie thing, hating the phones. My boys just want to chew on them, but I will get RUSHED and attacked by Snerky if she catches me touching the phone. I know someone else's female lovie (@Happynme ) feels the same way about the phones!

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Baylee doesnt attack the phones but she does wants to chew them! While Kiwi hates cell phones,house phones ALL of them.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Baylee really does act like a boy!

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Snerky wants mama and her home all to herself. Bad enough she has to tollerate that you have more than her as in fids....but you are NOT to have another people she says....lol :rofl:
Silly snerk. Sorry for the bites. I hope maybe your friend can keep coming over and maybe she will eventually accept that she has to share you. Im thankful happy tollerates visitors.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
MANGO LOVES COMPANY BUT AND ITS A BIG BUY IF A VOICE CHANGES OR HANDS ARE USED WHILE TALKING I GET ATTACKED NOT THE COMPANY HE WILL BE ON THERE SHOULDER AND ALL OF A SUDEN JUST A CHANGE IN THE TONE AND WHAM I GET IT , HE IS TELLING ME DANGER GET OUT LOL BUT IM STAYING WITH MY FRIENDHES RIGHT BACK ON THERE SHOULDER EYEING ME I KNOW I BETTER GO HIS NEW FRIEND CAN PUT HIM IN HIS CAGE,,LOL

AS FOR THE PHONE MANGO LOVES WHEN HE CAN CHAT ON IY IF SOME ON WILL TALK TO HIM HES IN HIS GLORY..LOL STRANG FOR A BIRD THAT WONT LET YOU HAVE TV OR RADIO
BUT THEN MANGO IS A STRANG GUY..LOL

HE SCREAMS WHEN COMPANY LEAVES AND YES THEY KNOW THEY DONT HAVE TO SEE THEM GO
I HAVE ONLY NOWEN 1 PERSON MANGO DIDNT LIKE AND WAS READY TO ATTACK HIM COULD IT BE YOUR BIRD DINT LIKE YOUR FRIEND ???

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Snerky wants mama and her home all to herself. Bad enough she has to tollerate that you have more than her as in fids....but you are NOT to have another people she says....lol :rofl:
Silly snerk. Sorry for the bites. I hope maybe your friend can keep coming over and maybe she will eventually accept that she has to share you. Im thankful happy tollerates visitors.
You are right that she wants me and the place all to herself! She is only truly okay with one other person, and that is because she considers that person "hers" as well!

My friend lives far away, so it is a once a year thing (though she didn't come last year). I do not think that Snerky would compromise! She probably thinks there is no reason to bother herself, lol.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
MANGO LOVES COMPANY BUT AND ITS A BIG BUY IF A VOICE CHANGES OR HANDS ARE USED WHILE TALKING I GET ATTACKED NOT THE COMPANY HE WILL BE ON THERE SHOULDER AND ALL OF A SUDEN JUST A CHANGE IN THE TONE AND WHAM I GET IT , HE IS TELLING ME DANGER GET OUT LOL BUT IM STAYING WITH MY FRIENDHES RIGHT BACK ON THERE SHOULDER EYEING ME I KNOW I BETTER GO HIS NEW FRIEND CAN PUT HIM IN HIS CAGE,,LOL
Oh yes, the tendency to bite the one they can "control" or get to listen! That is so weird that Mango is more friendly with the company!

AS FOR THE PHONE MANGO LOVES WHEN HE CAN CHAT ON IY IF SOME ON WILL TALK TO HIM HES IN HIS GLORY..LOL STRANG FOR A BIRD THAT WONT LET YOU HAVE TV OR RADIO
BUT THEN MANGO IS A STRANG GUY..LOL
They do get so particular about certain things, don't they? It's like...why is one thing okay, but this similar thing is not okay? Mysteries. :D

HE SCREAMS WHEN COMPANY LEAVES AND YES THEY KNOW THEY DONT HAVE TO SEE THEM GO
I HAVE ONLY NOWEN 1 PERSON MANGO DIDNT LIKE AND WAS READY TO ATTACK HIM COULD IT BE YOUR BIRD DINT LIKE YOUR FRIEND ???
We came and left the house multiple times, yet somehow she knew when my friend was gone-gone. Must be some birdy sense or something. Usually when Snerky dislikes someone, she is very plain and direct about it. But she did not display her typical aggressive behavior towards my friend, which is why I thought maybe she DID want to like her but had a conflict. I think initially she was actually uncertain as to whether or not she needed to drive my friend out of her territory, but then started to become more certain over time. I think in different circumstances she might have actually taken to my friend.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That option is not available in my country! :(
Oh dear! I had no idea. You could always ask the vet next time you take Baylee. They can usually tell - certainly if blood is drawn.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Oh dear! I had no idea. You could always ask the vet next time you take Baylee. They can usually tell - certainly if blood is drawn.
Her Vet doesnt draw blood :( she said its too risky and too little sample. She just do fecal test, look At her ears and feathers, xrays & takes their temp. They do the pelvis test where You put the finger on their pélvic bone area. Which is NOT 100% accurate.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Her Vet doesnt draw blood :( she said its too risky and too little sample. She just do fecal test, look At her ears and feathers, xrays & takes their temp. They do the pelvis test where You put the finger on their pélvic bone area. Which is NOT 100% accurate.
It does take a skilled avian vet to be comfortable drawing blood from a smaller bird. It's worrisome that you don't have access to such a vet, though. (No, definitely not always accurate.)

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Her vet is avian Vet but doesnt draw blood. I talked to other vet and she too said blood is only draw If the Bird is VERY sick or showing signs of illness.