• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think the new theme is making me nuts

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Oh my goodness I have tried to log on several times with the new server. I can't seem to adjust to or enjoy reading the threads on the new switch. Not trying to be negative, just having a hard time! Anyone else? :banghead:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
can I ask what you find is different about reading the threads? It basically looks pretty much the same.

parrotkid

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlin
Sometimes I get logged-out just out of the blue but that's the only issue I'm having and I just log back in. Nothing else for me.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Glowy pictures, different format - it looks a little bit like a huge chat now. I imagine on mobile it would be easier...

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh my goodness I have tried to log on several times with the new server. I can't seem to adjust to or enjoy reading the threads on the new switch. Not trying to be negative, just having a hard time! Anyone else? :banghead:
Oh, yes. I hate to admit it, but I don't seem to accept change as willingly as I once did. Some of it isn't even lack of willing to try. It just seemed foreign, and like you said, it diminished the pleasure of reading for me. Which was a huge bummer. I love the forum, I need the information and social interaction.

So I tried, over about a 10 day period, to get on, lurk around, "like" some stuff. I was still having trouble with siggies, avatars, PMs, (now called conversations), and cried like a baby to Jill and the others. They bent over backwards to help. I was really glad I asked for and accepted help because that is what helped me finally break through. When we first converted, it seemed to me that everything was different. Now I remark to myself how similar it is to the old server. Good luck! You're not alone!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
The notifications/alerts are cool though....
They are VERY much cooler than the old way. Once you get the hang of the best way to handle them, you'll never forget to check back on an active thread again. I am saving a lot of time and covering more ground. :laugh:

Kaylea

Real Name
Kaylea
still cant fugure out how to upload pics from my phone....on new format...it dont givr me the option any more...only url

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
still cant fugure out how to upload pics from my phone....on new format...it dont givr me the option any more...only url

you should be able to use the "upload a file" button under the editor. Some older devices may not support it, but it seems most do.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I found it a bit hard at first, mostly viewing photos, but it seems good now with some improvements over the old site.

I don't find viewing posts much different. If anything, it saves times by automatically going to the first unread post in a thread without having to click on "view first unread".

Tagging people in a post is new and handy as we never knew before if people would see a response to their post.

I did like seeing siggies which we can't see now on mobiles, but it does mean the pages load faster with fewer pix.

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
The more I use/play with it the more I like it. My only thing is the default??? number of pages of posts. I preferred the old way, Usually, if I came on every day there were 4-7 pages, after two days 10-14. Now its always 10.
E-gads! I haven't been on for two days due to work, what if I have missed something on the "missing" pages? I am techno challenged, is there a way to see all the recent posts? I notice under the Avian Avenue banner, there are 2 "new posts" but both do the same thing - for me anyway.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I agree, I missed things before but now I don't feel I can accomplish getting through everything?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I like that it knows what you've actually looked at. Before, if I logged on and logged off, or even let the window sit open, it assumed I looked at every new post and threads I was participating in. So if I logged off and logged back in, it would show everything read and I would miss all the new posts.
Much better now!

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
i love it. there are really only a few changes from my perception and all of them are changes for the best. ;)

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unfortunately it doesnt seem we can change the # of pages shown for new posts, but if you look down the right column it shows the date of the last post. So if you've missed a few days at least you can see how far back it goes. It looks like it shows approx 42 hours of content currently. It does seem we've been adding content more since the switch which isnt a bad thing at all ;) But I see what you are saying about the missing content if you havent been on in several days... I'll see if that is something we can add as another easy search (like the my posts one).

Both "new posts" buttons bring up the same content, but the top one has a drop-down that also lets you load threads you've created or responded to (quicker to find content that has had activity since you last posted). It also lets you load threads that havent had replies yet. The top one doesnt show on smaller mobile devices though so the lower one had to be left so its easily accessed on all devices :)

Really the biggest change in format (as far as viewing threads) is the smaller member card (avatar, post count, location, etc) not taking up as much space, and that the member card & message area are white instead of the green we had before. When the designer had give me the first demo it was like this and I liked it a lot. Then he updated it to use the greens we had before and it just did not work. We ended up darkening the background (blue) and leaving the message area white as it was easier on the eyes and cleaned it up a lot. The added benefit is the smilies with white backgrounds look better too :lol:

Not sure what "glowy" pictures means? If you mean while hovering over certain ones its highlighted, thats because it has a link to an external site like photobucket. If a picture is posted with the BBCode PB provides, it links to the full-size image and its page so thats why it glows when you hover over it.

Kaylea

Real Name
Kaylea
you should be able to use the "upload a file" button under the editor. Some older devices may not support it, but it seems most do.
ty :) ill try

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:coffeescreen: I'm an "older device" that doesn't support it ... :yoda::lol: :lol: