• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I think my bird is sick, not sure..

Status
Not open for further replies.

emtGen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gen
I have a Jenday conure and somethings off. It's not really a tangible something. She just kind of "looks" tired. Her eyes are kind of droopy, and while she's very active still, when she comes out on me she falls asleep instantly. I recently got DragonAge 2 and have been playing until the wee hours of the morning. Do you think I'm keeping her up? Maybe she's just not getting enough sleep with me playing video games in the room. Her weight is normal, and she's not hanging out at the bottom of the cage or doing anything typical of a sick bird. Something just feels odd. It's hard to describe. And she's not egg bound, I'm very familiar with the symptoms. Her poos are normal looking. Am I going crazy? I just moved from Oregon to Rhode Island so I'm flat broke and tearing my hair out trying to decide if she really IS sick or not and how I'm going to pay for the vet. I've just put a heating blanket over the cage and I'm keeping the room dark. Im also moving my xbox downstairs so I won't bother her.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I don't know anything about this, but am interested to follow and see what others have to say. :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
How long has she been "off". And yes I think it's very possible she's not getting enough rest, that and the time change from Oregon to Rhode Island is enough to kick my butt for a few weeks. Is she eating, drinking, preening, perching, vocalizing and pooing as usual? Is there any discharge coming from her vent, nares or eyes?

Ginger

emtGen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gen
A few days, the length of time I've hade the video game -.- I did start transitioning her to different food so she's been pickier than usual but she's preening, perching and vocalizing normally. No discharge either. She's even continued to try and court my boyfriend, although once she's on his shoulder she promptly falls asleep. She takes a bath in her water dish every couple of days and she's continued to do that. She has been sneezing more than normal but the place I'm living at is pretty dusty so Im planning on getting an air purifier. I've been sneezing just as much and I don't detect any problems with her breathing. When it's warmer I open the windows and we both stop sneezing :p I didn't realize she might not be getting enough sleep with the tv on, she was covered and the volume was on low. :/

emtGen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gen
I feel like a bad mom because my tv never used to be in the bedroom until I moved :(

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would keep an eye on her, but stop playing games and keeping her awake. Let her get a full night's quiet sleep for about 3-4 days and see if this helps, if not then I would take her to the vet.

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I think you need to take her to a vet

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like she is sleepy from hearing the tv and game all night.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would keep an eye on her, but stop playing games and keeping her awake. Let her get a full night's quiet sleep for about 3-4 days and see if this helps, if not then I would take her to the vet.

Ginger
Ditto. You answered your own question. If you can't stop playing the game, move her out of sight and sound so she can still get a good nights sleep.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
sounds like how my birds were the first few nights home (they werent sleeping) so i am pretty sure its just sleep dep. after you move ur game, let us know how she is. most birds need 12 solid hours, and still sometimes a nap in the day. Hope she gets better!

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
I agree with the above, and while allowing her to get a good night's sleep, I would not be keeping her in the dark during the day. Birds, for the most part, will not eat and drink when in the dark. And we certainly want her to keep up her strength and hydration. So I would just put her back on her normal schedule and then keep a very close eye on her and see if you see improvement. If not, you may need to move quickly to get her seen by a vet.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
I agree with the above posts that this could be a sleep issue, time change, gaming, etc. Make sure the birds is eating and drinking as usual and monitor her poops for any changes. Do your research and locate an avian vet in case of emergency.

Please keep us posted.

emtGen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gen
I'm moving the tv out. I feel so bad. I've never had the tv in the bedroom and I never thought it would keep her up if she wad covered. I feel so bad that I wad keeping her up. Thanks guys. The tv's out of the room. I feel horrible :(

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
dont feel bad!!! at least u noticed the tiniest thing that she was a little sleepy. people who dont care wouldnt notice. and they'd move the bird out, not the tv. just by asking the questions, we can tell u love your birdie. cheer up and stop beating urself up!

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
by noticing the changes in your bird it makes you a responsible owner. At least now you are able to start putting things right for her. Good luck. They really do need a lot of rest and sleep at night and it is really only mimicking what their ancestors did in the wild. Go to sleep with the fading of daylight and waking up with the dawn. My five get covered and put into a quiet room at 7.30pm every night and sleep until 8am next morning as quiet as lambs. Good luck.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Do you have Care Credit? And do you think you could find an a-vet in your area that accepts Care Credit? (if not, you could always tell Care Credit about where you'd like to go, and see if they can work with the vets office into using Care Credit)

Status
Not open for further replies.