• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I Think My Amazon Might Be Getting Sick... AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Ugh, my sweet Amazon "Syder's" was really sick awhile back with problems with the liver, respiratory problem, and toxins in the brain (some of you might remember, as you were all so wonderful supporting him). He has since recovered, still dealing with his pickiness and being sooo super thin. Well I noticed this morning getting him out of his cage that his breathing was a little congested sounding. Now I'm stressing out, as I just finished paying $1000.00 on his last incident, and I simply can't afford any more vet bills (dog had surgery in February). Any suggestions on what I could possibly do to assist with this without him having to go back to the vet?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
if he is rasping in his breathing, you absolutely need to get him back to the vet. maybe you can arrange payments or apply for that Care Credit everyone is talking about..You might try putting a humidifier in the room with him in the meantime but really if his breathing sounds raspy and he is super thin as you say, a vet visit is in order

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Sweetheart, unfortunately we are not vets here and he really needs to see one. Can you sell something, borrow from your parents or ask them for an early Christmas/Birthday/Any Special Event present? You don't want him to suffer. Can you do some office work or clean up work for the vet? Did you look into the Credit Care card. If he is still thin there is something more going on. Do you have a scale to keep track of his weight? Where are you located, are you seeing an avian vet?

Ginger

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Sweetheart, unfortunately we are not vets here and he really needs to see one. Can you sell something, borrow from your parents or ask them for an early Christmas/Birthday/Any Special Event present? You don't want him to suffer. Can you do some office work or clean up work for the vet? Did you look into the Credit Care card. If he is still thin there is something more going on. Do you have a scale to keep track of his weight? Where are you located, are you seeing an avian vet?

Ginger
I know you guys aren't vets, I'm just hoping someone might be able to give me some ideas? Because of my dogs surgery in February, and the Syder's vet bill, I have used up options. I don't want him to suffer, but I simply can't afford any more vet bills =( At this point I'm not sure what I can do and I certainly don't want him to suffer =(

heirofslytherin123

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Gabby
Call and speak to your AV and explain the circumstances. You can discuss payment options and maybe set up a special payment plan on the hush hush? Perhaps you can help out around the clinic to help pay off bills? i know summer time is the busiest time in the vet industry. Im so sorry your going thru this!:hug8:

Gomp

Strolling the yard
My main concern would be if you sat on this and suddenly a 100$ vet bill morphs to a much higher one. They do have over the counter anti-biotic's but considering his history I really doubt it is as simple as that :(

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
The only other thing you can do is find a avian shelter or sanctuary that you check out throughly, and surrender him so he can get the care he needs.

Ginger

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
If it's a simple respiratory infection he just might need some antibiotics. Call and speak to your vet. I don't think you need to rehome him just yet, you obviously care a great deal about him. I'm guessing you just need time to recuperate from your last vet bills. Ask if you can just try the antibiotics to see if they will help and if not you can consider surrendering him if he is still ill. Sometimes vets will take a bird if their owner can't afford the bills, treat them, and find them a new home. I wouldn't surrender him to a rescue because you don't know what he has and there is no telling if it could be contagious to other birds. Also, rescues don't usually have much money to spare for vet bills.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
You can temporarily help with congestion by taking him into the bathroom with the shower running hot and the door closed for half an hour or so, but you probably will have to take him back to the vet. Unfortunately this is often how it goes with our older birds, particularly those who may not have had a great life in their previous home.

Best wishes and keep us up to date.

:hug8:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Definitely call the vet. Perhaps he/she might understand after spending 1k on the bird already? It may just take a dose of antibiotics and a $100 vet bill this time to clear him up. $100 is not a little bit of money, but considering you invested $1000 in him already, it's worth it.

Vickiesbirds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vickie
Define "a little". If he's eating normal, normal activity level, and the "raspiness" can only be heard when CLOSE to the bird (like holding him near your face) I would not overreact. My caiques get a little congested at different times during the year from temp changes and humidity changes. I have taken them to the vet several times about this and my vet always gives me the same response... put them in a carrier outside the shower while you shower. And if the problem is minor, this should become noticeably effective after just a couple times of doing this. If it is truly a respiratory infection the bird will not respond to that treatment. Remi and Tiki are better RIGHT after I take them out of the shower room... it does wonders for them.

Does his breathing look labored?? Does his tail bob when he breathes? That's the best way to tell if a bird is working really hard to breathe. Does he sneeze frequently? I would say to try a shower treatment and call your vet right after. Explain your situation and I'm sure any good vet would accommodate you. Peace of mind is priceless when it comes to a loved pet.

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
OHHHHH NO! EVERYTHING IS HAPPENING ALL OVER AGAIN!!!! He is having problems with his liver, and it's causing toxins in his brain... he's acting completely neurotic again! I called the vet; telling them it's starting all over again. He was out so she sent a flag to the Avian doctor. In the meantime I talked to a guy who owns a tropical bird store and got info... not necessarily helping him right now, but some different diet items'. I simply don't know what is going on!? I'm scared for him, until he can see a vet. Came home tonight and he has plucked a large part of his body in just a few hours. Prayers for my Sydy!

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Oh, and sorry for the delay in getting back to some of your questions... I've had little time =(

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Healing thoughts going out to you and your baby. This must be so painful. I'm sorry.

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Any ideas on making him comfortable tonight? I still had some of the lactulose +milk thistle and I gave him a dose? But he's obviously in some sort of distress! =(

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm so sorry! How is he doing?

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He is hanging in there. Got back on the medicine for his Liver, but while at the vet he was wieghed with continual weight loss =(

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Poor little baby guy. What does the vet say about his prognosis? Is in pain or suffering?

Ginger

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Since I think environmental reasons are Alot of the reasons for resonators problems do you have air purifier in bird Rommel? Is are stale musky that can be moldy something's to think about

redlored

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kim
Oh, I hope your baby gets better!!! Sunny was very congested (I heard it in the middle of the night when I came home from work). I rushed her to the emergency vet. Those vet bills where high but it was worth it. They put her on oxygen and sent her home with antibiotics. I followed up the very next day because she sounded nasally and like she was having trouble breathing. The vet increased antibiotics and told me 2 things that seemed to have helped. He told me to get a good humidifier in our bedroom (where she sleeps) and take her to the bathroom and run hot water so the steam could loosen up her sinuses. Okay, I overdid that because she started mouth breathing after 15 minutes. He told me to sit her directly next to the humidifier for 20 minutes twice daily. This, along with the antibiotics, helped and now she's better THANK GOD.
It sounds like your experiencing more problems though than just respiratory...liver enzymes are elevated? Please take her back and keep us updated. Does she seem like she's in pain? I will be praying for your baby
:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.