• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I think my 33 year old Yellow Nape Amazon has had a stroke.

sthacker83

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Stacy
I have a 32/33 ish year old yellow nape Amazon parrot. My dad had bought for my mom as a gift, and we've had him since he was 6 months old ish. Unfortunately, there are no longer any avian vets in our area, and the closest one that is 4 hours away, is a $600 minimum visit fee. A few years ago he had a seizure, but he bounced right back. $1,500 later, we found out that he has low blood sugar. We give him fresh fruits and veggies, fresh seed, and he gets snacks every now and then. He has had about five seizures total in the past three years.
Anyways, fast forward to Tuesday night. He fell off his perch and hit the bottom of the cage, but he wasn't showing signs of seizure activity. Since then, he has been very lethargic, he can say a few words like hello, and he did Mumble I don't care, and he grunts, but that's it. This bird has always been extremely vocal, he speaks full sentences and can carry on a conversation with you, even when he had seizures he would have screaming fits, but he always managed to talk within a few hours.
I called the closest vet and was told that they could not see him until April 12th! And that for the symptoms he is having it will be a minimum charge of $1,500. Unfortunately I don't have that type of cash at the moment, but I also don't want him to suffer. Does anyone have any suggestions of what this could be, what I could do to make him more comfortable, anything that I need to be doing differently. I took and lowered his perch to the bottom of the cage so he can still sit on his perch but he doesn't have to climb. I left his food and water bowl where they are, but I put another food and water bowl on the bottom of the cage so he can reach it if he needs to or wants to, I have lined the bottom of the cage with a fleece blanket so if he does happen to fall it's not as hard, and if he stays on the bottom of the cage he has something soft to lay on plus I read that I was supposed to try to keep them warm so I figured that might help. At this point I'm just at a loss on what to do. Any advice is appreciated, thank you in advance.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It sounds like he really needs to see a vet. Where are you located? Perhaps we can offer some suggested places. There's a credit card- CareCredit- that you can apply for to cover vet expenses and if you pay off within a certain time- I think a year?- there's no interest. I hope he'll be okay. I'm really not sure based on your description if it was a stroke or not. My cockatiel had a stroke and his left wing drooped and was sort of paralyzed. Much like when a human has a stroke.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It really is a veterinarian issue, and I truly understand cost and availability if vets .such rough struggles.

The basics are providing a nutritional complete diet. Foods rich in vitamin A, and calcium. When weather allows time outside safely in light shade for the sunshine vitamin D. Extra warmth

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I agree with the previous responses. I'll second @Pixiebeak on the supplemental heat, too. Also, I'd add that $600 to just walk in the door at the vet is highway robbery, IMO. I hope you can find a vet who's more reasonable. Good luck and keep us posted.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I once used an avian vet at a college for something that I thought my amazon wouldn't make it through.
If you can give your general location, maybe others can suggest another vet you could call.

Don't give up.

Secret had a few episodes where she fell a few years ago. No idea of her true age but found a picture of her once from 1978.