• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think I fell in love!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
That is interesting. What is your guess on my Nemo? I think that Natascha said once she thought he looked like a boy.

Meyers tend to be slightly dimorphic in chest color. The cocks usually have a lot of black barring on the chest and my Hobbs was six when I got him and he had barring very closely lined up all down his blue chest. Trix, my hen Meyers, has just a few black bars here and there on her breast and she is 9 years old now. The blue on the back and rump on my subspecies is much darker, more royal in color. The one you are looking at has a greener breast and a moderate black banding on the chest. I assume this bird is female, but not knowing the subspecies, I cannot be sure.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I am in love with my Meyers and although he is the only experience I have with the species, I would highly recommend them. I adore him. I like the size, the noise level is not bad and very tolerable for me and our household. He came to me from Tanya who does rescue in Michigan. He stepped out of his carrier onto my hand and has always been very outgoing despite being labeled mean and aggressive by his previous owners.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Yeah I really am in love with this bird and I've only seen one video and heard great things about her. I will definitely have a full blood panel done on her if I get her, that will be first up. She will have to be quarantined in my bedroom but I will make sure to seal off my door. I hope hope hoppppee she doesn't have any illnesses that need to be taken care of. She looks pretty healthy though from the video.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Aww, take him/her home and get some toys. I can't imagine a bird being toyless....Scary stuff about diseases but I don't know of anyone that does negative pressure, rooms with their own heating/cooling systems to prevent cross contamination. I always worked with the quarantine bird last in the day after all the others went to bed. Made for less time for the new bird initially otherwise, I'd change clothes and shower after interacting with the newbie before going to the regular bird room. Keep us posted, it's a beautiful bird!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Meyers tend to be slightly dimorphic in chest color. The cocks usually have a lot of black barring on the chest and my Hobbs was six when I got him and he had barring very closely lined up all down his blue chest. Trix, my hen Meyers, has just a few black bars here and there on her breast and she is 9 years old now. The blue on the back and rump on my subspecies is much darker, more royal in color. The one you are looking at has a greener breast and a moderate black banding on the chest. I assume this bird is female, but not knowing the subspecies, I cannot be sure.
I've never heard of the black barring on the chest being any indication of sexual dimorphishm for Meyer's so I'm not sure how reliable that can be. I have two DNA males and the amount of black you see on their belly really depends on the molt they are going through...
As for the actual colour on the chest, given this is more linked into the different subspecies than male/female, I'm not sure how one can rely on this.

I was trying to go by the shape of the head, as the females do tend to have a rounder head, and after watching the video, it is hard to say about this one bird.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I agree with the rounder head. The information for the blue breasted Meyers subspecies I have came from the breeder. She does only Pois and Meyers are her favorites. I am not sure the green and aqua breasted subspecies have a telling amount of black barring on their chests. I do my my blue one does. The breeder said she was only incorrect twice out of all the chicks she hatched over fifteen years with the breast barring. The amount and placement of the yellow patches also varies according to their subspecies, but all of the species tend to develop more yellow as they grow older.

Love those Meyers.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Yes, I remember you saying that with Nemo it was the shape of his head:)

I've never heard of the black barring on the chest being any indication of sexual dimorphishm for Meyer's so I'm not sure how reliable that can be. I have two DNA males and the amount of black you see on their belly really depends on the molt they are going through...
As for the actual colour on the chest, given this is more linked into the different subspecies than male/female, I'm not sure how one can rely on this.

I was trying to go by the shape of the head, as the females do tend to have a rounder head, and after watching the video, it is hard to say about this one bird.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Aww, take him/her home and get some toys. I can't imagine a bird being toyless....Scary stuff about diseases but I don't know of anyone that does negative pressure, rooms with their own heating/cooling systems to prevent cross contamination. I always worked with the quarantine bird last in the day after all the others went to bed. Made for less time for the new bird initially otherwise, I'd change clothes and shower after interacting with the newbie before going to the regular bird room. Keep us posted, it's a beautiful bird!
I just made a few toys for the hopefully newcomer! I will definitely keep everyone posted on if I am going to get her or not!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Any updates Amy?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I would be seriously concerned at how he/she is trying to scratch at his ears. Jill{our admin} had a Hawkheaded Parrot come in{Ringo I believe} that had MRSA and scratched at his ears just like that. Good luck if you do decide to get him. Please straight to the vet, have those ears checked, and strict QT including change of clothes and separate airspace.

Last edited:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry you wont be getting her. I know there is a Meyers out there for you some day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.