• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I think Addie is hurt

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
True. I leave the clipped wings as just what you call a light clip.

Just so a newbie doesn't think clipped wings literally means hacking off wings. What should be done is clipping off a length of the outer 5 to 7 wing feathers. How much is taken off the end of the feathers would depend on the size of the bird. If a person wants to return to a fully flighted bird, just wait until the feathers grow back in. Could be up to a year.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I agree with both of you, if you cannot let her out otherwise a light Clip might give her more freedom. You could also look into recall training and perhaps a screen door(don’t know if that is possible of course, but it could give a great deal more safety). Just a word of caption though, even if she did get a full blown Clip, she could still fly, especially outside. So please don’t take her outside without restraint:)

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I am glad you fid is doing better.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I had cheeky clipped the first two years because I have a large open house with huge widows. I gave her lots of out of cage time and she's a very happy girl. I recently figured out a way to make things safe that I could live with and let her wings grow out. I can sympathize with your safety issue. When I first read your post it didn't sound like an emergency to me so I thought one reply had a harsh tone, but don't ever feel like you can't come here for help. We all want to help anyone who needs advice or conciliation. I'm very glad that your bird was ok and welcome you here

Syl

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
Thanks everyone :) I will definitely thing about having a light clip. It'd make it so much easier for me to potty train her too XD. I'd love to also spend more time with her in places besides my bathroom,lol.
Thanks all.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Potty training is very dangerous.

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
A good avian vet can help you do a proper clip. There is as much danger in a clip too severe as there is in leaving her unclipped currently.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I have no idea in what way you think we can help you with that?
We can't give you paranormal avian vet care. If you are worried, and see a behavior that isn't normal, don't waste time to post a thread, take her to the vet.
And better going to many times then to few.

But that is exactly what we do on here, we suggest vet care, where she might get a vet in her area, or if we have experienced this problem ourselves. She is not the first person who has asked for medical advice.