• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures I put Jackson in oxygen

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
When you get home and relax he’ll get them and at least you can observe his behavior then.
Just remember to STAY CALM when you get there. They feed off our emotions.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Aw Jackson! God's Blessings for you little buddy! Boy... they keep you on your toes!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Feel better Jackson!!
:sadhug2:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It’s okay, you are doing a good job, and you’ll just have to administer the rest of the meds like instructed. It’s okay that you missed one.
:hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks for all the supportive comments folks. He just had his drop of sulfatrim and is preening on top of his cage! I called the vet about the breathing and she said to continue with the sulfatrim but give it in subdoses in case he’s aspirating

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I doubt he's aspirating but I do wonder if he might have multiple things going on. I don't want to scare you but I just lost a bird who turned out to have both e coli and asper. When we started getting the e coli under control, the asper took over and caused a pneumonia that killed her. All you can do is follow the treatment protocol and offer the best supportive care possible. So basically what you're already doing.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I doubt he's aspirating but I do wonder if he might have multiple things going on. I don't want to scare you but I just lost a bird who turned out to have both e coli and asper. When we started getting the e coli under control, the asper took over and caused a pneumonia that killed her. All you can do is follow the treatment protocol and offer the best supportive care possible. So basically what you're already doing.
Oh no I am so sorry you lost her.:(

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@saroj12 I'm so glad you had the O2 compressor and that he's feeling better.
She was very sick from the moment I adopted her until the moment we made the decision to let her go. But I think she still had a good 6 months with me and I'm glad for that.
Thank you for giving her that. :bluhug: All you can do is all you can do.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
All you can do is all you can do.
Yes, and I knew the stakes when I adopted her. I chose to adopt her because I didn't want the rescue to be paying for her medical costs, and I wanted her to die in a forever home if she didn't make it. It was a privilege.

Anyway, my point is not to hijack but to say keep an eye on the breathing. Most likely it was a reaction to stress or just feeling unwell since it stopped so rapidly, but immunocompromised birds CAN have multiple things wrong.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I don't know what is wrong with your bird, I missed some of the thread? I just lost my baby yesterday, had her for 25 years. @enigma731 you are too sweet to give an ill bird a forever home. It still amazes me how a bundle of feathers can trap our hearts in so much love.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I don't know what is wrong with your bird, I missed some of the thread? I just lost my baby yesterday, had her for 25 years. @enigma731 you are too sweet to give an ill bird a forever home. It still amazes me how a bundle of feathers can trap our hearts in so much love.
Jackson quaker parrot is 26. A holistic vet told me 15 is a good ripe age for a captive quaker. He has an overgrowth of e coli in his gut so we are treating with sulfatrim. this morning he was having open mouth breathing with groaning. One reason also might be he was woken up two hours too early so I could collect a poop sample to culture from another bird's morning bomb while it was fresh. I'm sorry you lost your baby :(
@saroj12 @Snowghost All of my birds are special needs. I figure it's the least I can do with my medical background, plus each special needs baby teaches me more skills for the next. They absolutely do make a huge impact, every single one of them.
you are an angel for taking on special needs birds.