• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

I need some help guys! Stranded baby bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
With a possible broken leg.
Ok so a sparrow built its nest on top of one of the gutters that runs down the side of the house. My dogs were outside and were interested in something next to my window and when they moved I saw it was a baby bird. Moderate feathering but still too young. I picked it up and put it back in the nest but it looked like one of its legs was possibly broken. I know it happens all the time in the wild, where one gets pushed out but it's in my back yard. I can't just let it die.
1)What should I do? I can't afford to take it to the vet. (what would you do?)
2)Is there something I could feed if it falls out again?
3)Can I make a hospital cage? I have extra fish tanks so suggestions on setting one up is appreciated.
4)Are there any risks to Zazu that I should be aware of?
5)Or will it be ok if I keep them away from each other and wash my hands?

Thanks for your help ahead of time guys!
Admins please feel free to move if in the wrong spot!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Peacelovepets

Jogging around the block
If the parent abandons the baby, then you could try to find a santuary or rescue that would take it! Hope fully it will be ok!

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
I've called all the places I can think of around here and most will just euthanize him :-( I want to make sure I am prepared if they throw him out again.
So with a broken leg what can I do? Just leave it or should I splint it or?....
Hospital cage?

Need help!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
He may have attempted to fledge and fallen out. Not too many parent birds kick their offspring out. I would just leave him be. :hug8:

penny'smom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
I am just starting to do bird rehab. Best case scenario is to get him back in the nest and let the parents take care of him. If he continues to fall out, perhaps you could put him in a secure basket or bucket, near the nest. I would think that the leg could heal itself, depending on the placement and severity of break - but I am not sure.

If you end up having no choice, to feed him, give him dog or cat food soaked in water - enough to make it moist and soft, but not dripping. His windpipe is just below his tongue, and giving him water could cause him to aspirate if done incorrectly. His skin should be supple - if it looks crepe or he appears weak (not moving legs) this is a sign of dehydration - he will need water in order to digest food (down the back of his throat, avoiding the windpipe).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds rarely throw babies out of the nest, and when they do, they have a reason. As heartless as it sounds, I would let nature do her cruel thing.

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
male sparrows often kick babies out of the nest to be able to have more. sounds strange, but thats often the case :rolleyes:

this might be of some help for you

Avian Bone Fracture Repair of the legs and wings

i am currently raising a baby house sparrow myself and have done so with the help of this site, the information is very very helpful, ive raised a few baby birds on this site's information.

House Sparrows: information about House Sparrows and caring for rescued sparrows

keep it as far away from the others if you cant put it back in the nest, wash hands, use all quarantine procedures. a cage will be best but in a pinch an aquarium will be good for a brooder if he doesnt have enough feathers.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
male sparrows often kick babies out of the nest to be able to have more. sounds strange, but thats often the case :rolleyes:
Then either way, nature is acting in the way nature sees fit in my opinion :)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
If he needs help, I would try to find a nature center or rehab person. If that is not possible I would take him in and, if it's broken, splint the leg with Qtips and tape. I don't know what sparrows eat but I raised a wild bird on watered down egg yolk mixed with meal worms in the blender. I fed it off my finger tip until he learned to use a spoon. Keep him absolutely away from your flock and make sure you change and wash everything before you handle your own birds.

Ginger

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
Thanks guys. There aren't really any rehab centers up here. It's ND and they are few and far between. He doesn't have flights and I can still see plenty Of skin. I don't usually mind letting nature donuts thing but it's right outside my window in the backyard where my dogs play. I can't have them be the reason it dies or be carrying it around when it does. It's still in the neat this morn so maybe it will all be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.