• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I need immediate help sick baby :( !

Kbarr31

Moving in
Real Name
Kathi
I have been raising hand fed cockatiels for the first time for the last 4 weeks, about a week ago one of the babies crops stopped emptying and I tried everything I woke up to vomit everywhere and the chick dead. I’m not down to 3 and very upset I now have another one whose crop will not go down, I don’t understand what to do. It’s Sunday at almost 8pm and I don’t have an avian vet appointment till Tuesday at 11am I’m not sure little man will make it till then. Does anyone have any advice I need his crop to go down he’s starting to look weak.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Are they being fed at the right temps?
Is the formula being made at the correct consistency for their age?
Are they being kept at the correct temperature for their age?

@Zara @BrianB

Kbarr31

Moving in
Real Name
Kathi
Are they being fed at the right temps?
Is the formula being made at the correct consistency for their age?
Are they being kept at the correct temperature for their age?

@Zara @BrianB
I think I am doing all those things correctly, I feed them at about 104-106 degrees, formula consistency sometimes I make it more on the thinner side than thicker side just because I read a bunch of things that said thicker causes more issues I put the brooder a bit warmer in hopes that maybe it’ll aid in digestion I currently have them in 85 degree brooder, I can see the crop moving just very slowly and I feel like it’s either bacterial or yeast but I don’t know what to do to get it to go down, I’ve given probiotics and apple cider with apple sauce and pedialyte the last several feedings to see if it’ll drain or go down and not much at all only a tiny bit every 5-7 hours it’s been over a day now he’s been like this idk what to do

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Papaya apparently helps to move the contents in the crop if you can get some of that and feed it. I am hoping one of the members I tagged for you will be along soon to give you some more support with your babies.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Do you have the details for your closest avian vet?

Kbarr31

Moving in
Real Name
Kathi
Papaya apparently helps to move the contents in the crop if you can get some of that and feed it. I am hoping one of the members I tagged for you will be along soon to give you some more support with your babies.
I’ve tried the papaya cream in pedialyte I feel as though it has not done much

Kbarr31

Moving in
Real Name
Kathi
Do you have the details for your closest avian vet?
What do you mean details ? I have an appointment with them Tuesday morning it was the soonest they could get me in I called every other avian vet including emergencies with no luck apparently avian vets r very difficult to find and also don’t work everyday only certain days according to the places I called

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’ve tried the papaya cream in pedialyte I feel as though it has not done much
Papaya cream? I have no clue what that is sorry.

What do you mean details ? I have an appointment with them Tuesday morning it was the soonest they could get me in I called every other avian vet including emergencies with no luck apparently avian vets r very difficult to find and also don’t work everyday only certain days according to the places I called
I just meant did you know where they are and who would be happy to help you if needed more professional help. Glad you have an appointment.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I was also going to suggest papaya for treating the slow crop.
I will link the info if you want to take a look and see if there was maybe a step you missed,
(Let the link load fully and it will take you direct to the post)

If the papaya doesn't work, you need a vet to empty the crop and give meds.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Temp is so important, i worry yours is to low.
" . If

HOUSING BABIES
Brooders and Containers
There are as many different and successful baby brooders as there are hand-feeding formulas. Some are homemade wooden boxes with electric elements or lights to keep the babies warm. Others are adapted metal game chick brooders or glass aquariums with custom made heaters to partially cover the top or bottom of the tank. Brooders set up with heating pads often result in cooked babies, thermal injuries or cold babies since precise, constant temperature maintenance is difficult (Stoddard, 1988). Another problem with homemade or adapted brooders is their usual lack of humidity control. Human baby incubators and specific commercial baby bird brooders have more accurate temperature and humidity control but are difficult to obtain or can become expensive when many babies have to be housed.

Brooders for Housing Parrot EggsBrooders should be relatively small as an important part of disease prevention with babies is to keep clutches separate and this is limited with large brooders. They should provide constant, even heat that can be finely adjusted, be well ventilated, easily cleaned and have a water receptacle to add humidity.

One set-up which meets many of these requirements uses small aquariums to contain babies which is then placed a much larger aquarium or plastic pan filled with about three or four inches of heated water. The water is maintained at 40°C (100°F) with a submersible thermostat aquarium heater. Salt should be added to the water to keep down the growth of pseudomonas and other pathogenic bacteria. Evaporated water must be replaced so that the horizontally laid heater remains submerged.

Temperature
The ambient temperature and humidity of baby altricial birds must be regulated. Young, up until they are feathered out, need supplemental heat above room temperature to thrive and even survive. Chilled babies, either because of neglectful parent birds or power failure to the brooder heater, will deteriorate quickly. These chicks may die later even after being warmed up. Nursery room temperature should be kept warm between 78 and 82 degrees fahrenheit.

The brooder temperature for recently hatched chicks can remain at the hatching temperature of 35.0°-36.5°C (96°-98°F) for the first few days. Once the baby is eating more solid food, at about 2-3 days of age, it should be kept at a lower temperature of 33.5°-35.0°C (92°-96°F) depending on the species and its metabolism. From there up to about two weeks of age babies should be in an environmental temperature of 32.0°-33.5°C (90°-92°F) (Table 2). If temperatures are to high the chick may exhibit panting, unrest, hyperactivity and have dry, reddened skin (Clubb and Clubb, 1986). Cold temperatures may result in death, poor gut motility, crop stasis or other digestive disorders, failure to feed or beg, inactivity or shivering (Clubb and Clubb, 1986)."

I defer to those who have raised chicks.
But I think you need to increase temp closer to 90f....

Last edited:

Kbarr31

Moving in
Real Name
Kathi
Temp is so important, i worry yours is to low.
" . If

HOUSING BABIES
Brooders and Containers
There are as many different and successful baby brooders as there are hand-feeding formulas. Some are homemade wooden boxes with electric elements or lights to keep the babies warm. Others are adapted metal game chick brooders or glass aquariums with custom made heaters to partially cover the top or bottom of the tank. Brooders set up with heating pads often result in cooked babies, thermal injuries or cold babies since precise, constant temperature maintenance is difficult (Stoddard, 1988). Another problem with homemade or adapted brooders is their usual lack of humidity control. Human baby incubators and specific commercial baby bird brooders have more accurate temperature and humidity control but are difficult to obtain or can become expensive when many babies have to be housed.

Brooders for Housing Parrot EggsBrooders should be relatively small as an important part of disease prevention with babies is to keep clutches separate and this is limited with large brooders. They should provide constant, even heat that can be finely adjusted, be well ventilated, easily cleaned and have a water receptacle to add humidity.

One set-up which meets many of these requirements uses small aquariums to contain babies which is then placed a much larger aquarium or plastic pan filled with about three or four inches of heated water. The water is maintained at 40°C (100°F) with a submersible thermostat aquarium heater. Salt should be added to the water to keep down the growth of pseudomonas and other pathogenic bacteria. Evaporated water must be replaced so that the horizontally laid heater remains submerged.

Temperature
The ambient temperature and humidity of baby altricial birds must be regulated. Young, up until they are feathered out, need supplemental heat above room temperature to thrive and even survive. Chilled babies, either because of neglectful parent birds or power failure to the brooder heater, will deteriorate quickly. These chicks may die later even after being warmed up. Nursery room temperature should be kept warm between 78 and 82 degrees fahrenheit.

The brooder temperature for recently hatched chicks can remain at the hatching temperature of 35.0°-36.5°C (96°-98°F) for the first few days. Once the baby is eating more solid food, at about 2-3 days of age, it should be kept at a lower temperature of 33.5°-35.0°C (92°-96°F) depending on the species and its metabolism. From there up to about two weeks of age babies should be in an environmental temperature of 32.0°-33.5°C (90°-92°F) (Table 2). If temperatures are to high the chick may exhibit panting, unrest, hyperactivity and have dry, reddened skin (Clubb and Clubb, 1986). Cold temperatures may result in death, poor gut motility, crop stasis or other digestive disorders, failure to feed or beg, inactivity or shivering (Clubb and Clubb, 1986)."

I defer to those who have raised chicks.
But I think you need to increase temp closer to 90f....
I’m going to raise the temp up to 90 and hopefully it helps her crop went down a bit last night while not feeding but still is not empty I’ve tried everything hoping she makes it till tomorrow for vet in the morning have them in a brooder with oxygen as well.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I don't know what that product is, but I would not.

Things to give baby birds are natural unsweetened coconut water to combat dehydration, or pedialyte.

Apple cider vinegar with mother to fight bacterial infections.

Papaya to combat slow crop (the above can also be used for that)

And then any meds recommended by vets during consults.