• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need help...

monique yaoyao

Moving in
hi...
so i am handraising a lovebird. and i tried to read as much as possible and watched many you tube videos.
but still i have questions...
i hope nobody will judge me and maybe get some answers to my (maybe) stupid questions.
moijto shivers quite often. mostly when i hold him and rub his tiny head.. is that normal?
is it normal that the first few days feeding is not like on you tube? he is not eager... yet his crop is empty. but he eats when i offer it
i know i cannot play with him. but is it ok to hold when he is awake?
he seems to be fine... cleaning his feathers, sleeping and being naughty.
my friend here with birds they told me feeding schedule and amount. but mojito doesnt eat that much and is already empty and asking for food 2 hours before scheduled. so i give him less and more often. his crop is empty when i feed him
i hope these are all the questions i have... but i am sure there will be more

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Is his nest warm enough? If you are going to handle the baby i would use a towel to keep it warm since it has no feathers. Did you buy the bird or did your birds have babies? If you bought the bird and take it home, it is normal for the bird to not be eager for you to feed him because he/she does not know you. Part of the reason it is a bad idea to take home an unwean baby as they may not accept food from the new person. Hand feeding a bird isnt hard but a lot can go wrong real fast. Good luck.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sure is cute! Feed him when he wants it, are you using a spoon or a syringe? If one dosen't seem to work try the other. Proper food temp is upmost important, sounds like his crop is emptying well..he may shiver coz hes scared or excited. Hes in a new scary place, so he may not eat like you want till he settles. Talk softly to him while feeding, do hold him and love on him, he will come around.

monique yaoyao

Moving in
thank you! he is a baby from our lovebirds. i wouldn't have bought a baby this young.
he eats from syringe and he loves the spoon. he is starting to recognize food. we live in manila so its always warm in our house. we do not have aircon.
he is cleaning his feathers and loves to snuggle. he shivers when i hold him and he falls asleep.
i think he wil be fine... but its a little scary. he is loved already....

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Awww adorable. Yes it is scary. I raise finches and canaries. (Not by hand, unless necessary!) I hold them a lot. Sometimes I put inside my shirt. ONce I made a little pouch to carry the bird in, like a soft tiny purse and she rode in it a lot.
Keep us updated ok?

monique yaoyao

Moving in
of course i will keep you guys updated.
at this moment i am going to prepare him a delicious breakfast.
he already goes on my hand when i put my hand next to him.
and i understand that the crop is what i have to watch closely. but it empties ok..
he doesnt eat so much so i just feed him a little more frequent. but i make sure his crop is empty.
he keep cleaning his feathers so i guess that is a good sign.
i will do my best to let him grow to a beautiful bird!