• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need help

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I need advice for Ollie.
His biting is becoming unbearable as well as unpredictable. Is this purely hormones or is there something else I could maybe do to help curb this behavior.

Nothing with my appearance has changed.

Idk what to do. I'm becoming very disheartened although I'm trying to stay positive. I thought I was moving forward as he was learning new tricks and stepping up for treats without biting but now he might bite at any time. I just need some help, I want to cry :(

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Oh no Lauren not Ollie. Sounds like hormones for sure. When Bodie got really bad with his hormones I had to remove the triggers that would set him off. He is better now in that department.

Reactions: Lo_

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I need advice for Ollie.
His biting is becoming unbearable as well as unpredictable. Is this purely hormones or is there something else I could maybe do to help curb this behavior.

Nothing with my appearance has changed.

Idk what to do. I'm becoming very disheartened although I'm trying to stay positive. I thought I was moving forward as he was learning new tricks and stepping up for treats without biting but now he might bite at any time. I just need some help, I want to cry :(
Take a very deep breath. It isn't you necessarily. I'd fostered a really cute gcc for someone and he definitely had his moments. He'd settled down with me but when he went to his new home he turned into a total little twerp to the point that his adoptive mom wasn't sure about him. He went after anyone and was particularly aggressive around his cage.

If you are offering to take him out of his cage and he fluffs up and does that gcc "danger" strut, leave his cage open so he can climb out but don't offer a hand or anything else. If he's asking to be picked up from his cage or moved and fluffs up when you offer a hand, leave him alone. Tough to do wehn you desperately want a fid to love you but gccs aren't stupid. Once he realizes that his chances of being picked up or moved off his cage are zero because he's aggressive, he will rethink what he's doing. Think of it this way, if yo had a cat and it hissed at you when you extended your hand to pet it, what would you do? Try or leave the cat alone?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
some times the more nervous you are about being bitten the more they feed off of it. try sitting in front of the cage with some treats in your lap (out of birdy sight), pay no attention to the bird, read a book, the newspaper, something that you enjoy. let Ollie come to you, if there is bite leave the area of the cage. not a word to Ollie, not a 'ouch don't do that'. nothing but silence. wait 5 minutes out of sight, then try again. if there is no bite, reward for good behavior. I found this out working with big birds at Dr. Barb's clinic. it works with the biggest macaw to tiels. they want to be our friend but they need to understand that we do not like being BEAKED.

RoxieW

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Roxie
I'm sorry you are having issues with your Ollie.

My Ollie has had times when he has bitten more than just being nippy. I found that his flight suit seems to calm him down some, maybe because it is sort of a distraction for him when he has it on or I think it works kind of like a thunder shirt works for dogs to calm them when they are anxious. He will still nip on occasion even with his suit on, but doesn't do the aggressive bitting. I do reward him every time he steps up and steps down.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You've got to change the way you handle him at least for the time being. Pretend he is a red hot potato. You could not handle something like that without using a tool or getting so close to it that it can burn you.

Ollie is a hot potato right now. Don't put yourself in a position where he has the "opportunity" to bite you. As already mentioned you stop initiating interaction with him. Pay him no attention. If he wants interaction he will ask for it. Make him come to you because then he wants to.

And it's going to take time to learn and catch on. Consistency.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I totally get it.

Secret and I have a love/bite relationship.

We're now in the stage where transport is by wood perch. We do brief seed treats in evening, the wood perch transports to my leg (so far no body bites) when I'm sitting on the floor. On my leg she has the option to move close to me or walk down the leg.

She's getting a lot better but I always wonder when hormonal times are due again.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
It can also help if you let him exercise more. I know that sounds silly but with Sherbie's hormones I've had not only to rethink how and when I handle him, but I have to allow for more exercise and flight. Even if it's just 15 mins here and there of flying, flapping, and screaming. It's good to let off some steam. :)

PS: Avicalm takes the edge off sometimes for Sherb. Might work for Ollie, too. I mix the dose with just enough water and give it by mouth (syringe).

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:hug8:Many, many hugs. You may just be going through the first rough hormonal stage. Zephyr was like that for about six months and I thought our relationship was toast. You are just going to have to back up a bit and give him space for awhile. It is indeed hormone season here. If he bites, set him down and walk away. No attention, nada, zip. It will take awhile and he may regress... That is the one thing that works with Rocco. He tries, he really does but any trigger such as an arch nemesis flying in will set him off...or if I talk to him (I haven't figured that one out).

But with Zephyr, I just had to be really hands off for awhile. It was hard...but he eventually came out of it. Just provide lots of toys and if he wants to interact, interact but only if he doesn't bite. It does break your heart a little bit I will admit. And yes, lots and lots of exercise if you can. Dr. Orosz says if you can just wear them out having them fly around the room. Although I haven't managed that one.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Stages like this happen. I had one with one of my birds for over a year. I felt like my baby hated me. It finally passed, and yours will too.

Try and avoid bites by all means. John is right, Ollie is a hot potato at the moment, and that means hands off for now.

He doesn't hate you, and he isn't angry. It's just nature calling, and he's confused and doing his best to answer the call.

Things will calm down. Learn to interact with him differently. With my baby I didn't pet, or play with him (hands on) for over a year. I was sad. :(

Now though, he and I are once again friends.

You also will become friends again with Ollie. Just give it time.

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
Joey can be a pain when he is hormonal. During those times, I pick him up with a stick so he can't bite. Good luck!

noice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Anna
This sounds hormonal. Hormones suck, but don't take it personally. He doesn't hate you, he's like how we all were when we were teenagers. Irritable and "misunderstood" :rolleyes:

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Take a very deep breath. It isn't you necessarily. I'd fostered a really cute gcc for someone and he definitely had his moments. He'd settled down with me but when he went to his new home he turned into a total little twerp to the point that his adoptive mom wasn't sure about him. He went after anyone and was particularly aggressive around his cage.

If you are offering to take him out of his cage and he fluffs up and does that gcc "danger" strut, leave his cage open so he can climb out but don't offer a hand or anything else. If he's asking to be picked up from his cage or moved and fluffs up when you offer a hand, leave him alone. Tough to do wehn you desperately want a fid to love you but gccs aren't stupid. Once he realizes that his chances of being picked up or moved off his cage are zero because he's aggressive, he will rethink what he's doing. Think of it this way, if yo had a cat and it hissed at you when you extended your hand to pet it, what would you do? Try or leave the cat alone?

I usually always let him walk out of his cage on his own and fly to me whenever he is ready.
I am trying hard to leave him alone more but like you said, it's hard! :)
Thanks for the response

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
some times the more nervous you are about being bitten the more they feed off of it. try sitting in front of the cage with some treats in your lap (out of birdy sight), pay no attention to the bird, read a book, the newspaper, something that you enjoy. let Ollie come to you, if there is bite leave the area of the cage. not a word to Ollie, not a 'ouch don't do that'. nothing but silence. wait 5 minutes out of sight, then try again. if there is no bite, reward for good behavior. I found this out working with big birds at Dr. Barb's clinic. it works with the biggest macaw to tiels. they want to be our friend but they need to understand that we do not like being BEAKED.
Im not really nervous about the bites, I just don't understand why they are happening.
I will try this out, thank you :)

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I'm sorry you are having issues with your Ollie.

My Ollie has had times when he has bitten more than just being nippy. I found that his flight suit seems to calm him down some, maybe because it is sort of a distraction for him when he has it on or I think it works kind of like a thunder shirt works for dogs to calm them when they are anxious. He will still nip on occasion even with his suit on, but doesn't do the aggressive bitting. I do reward him every time he steps up and steps down.

These are definitely bites, they leave bruises sometimes lol.
If I tried to get Ollie anywhere near a flight suit or harness I would probably lose a finger!! Lol. I'm glad it helps your Ollie though :D

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
You've got to change the way you handle him at least for the time being. Pretend he is a red hot potato. You could not handle something like that without using a tool or getting so close to it that it can burn you.

Ollie is a hot potato right now. Don't put yourself in a position where he has the "opportunity" to bite you. As already mentioned you stop initiating interaction with him. Pay him no attention. If he wants interaction he will ask for it. Make him come to you because then he wants to.

And it's going to take time to learn and catch on. Consistency.

Thank you :)

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
It can also help if you let him exercise more. I know that sounds silly but with Sherbie's hormones I've had not only to rethink how and when I handle him, but I have to allow for more exercise and flight. Even if it's just 15 mins here and there of flying, flapping, and screaming. It's good to let off some steam. :)

PS: Avicalm takes the edge off sometimes for Sherb. Might work for Ollie, too. I mix the dose with just enough water and give it by mouth (syringe).

I usually make him fly back and forth to me for about 5-10 minutes. Maybe somehow I could encourage him to fly around some more just on his own :) I will also have to look into Avicalm, thank you :)

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
:hug8:Many, many hugs. You may just be going through the first rough hormonal stage. Zephyr was like that for about six months and I thought our relationship was toast. You are just going to have to back up a bit and give him space for awhile. It is indeed hormone season here. If he bites, set him down and walk away. No attention, nada, zip. It will take awhile and he may regress... That is the one thing that works with Rocco. He tries, he really does but any trigger such as an arch nemesis flying in will set him off...or if I talk to him (I haven't figured that one out).

But with Zephyr, I just had to be really hands off for awhile. It was hard...but he eventually came out of it. Just provide lots of toys and if he wants to interact, interact but only if he doesn't bite. It does break your heart a little bit I will admit. And yes, lots and lots of exercise if you can. Dr. Orosz says if you can just wear them out having them fly around the room. Although I haven't managed that one.

I am really going to have to back up a bit it seems which is going to be hard but necessary. Thank you for the hugs \:hug8:

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Stages like this happen. I had one with one of my birds for over a year. I felt like my baby hated me. It finally passed, and yours will too.

Try and avoid bites by all means. John is right, Ollie is a hot potato at the moment, and that means hands off for now.

He doesn't hate you, and he isn't angry. It's just nature calling, and he's confused and doing his best to answer the call.

Things will calm down. Learn to interact with him differently. With my baby I didn't pet, or play with him (hands on) for over a year. I was sad. :(

Now though, he and I are once again friends.

You also will become friends again with Ollie. Just give it time.

I can't wait until we are friends again :)
Thanks!