• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M.C Bird Rescue

my 2 cents.....

Allowing him to come out of the cage before attempting to handle - YES!

Allowing him on top of cage to handle - NO

Can you get him onto a play stand or a T-Stand? You will have better luck then. Have you attempted placing him on the floor to try and handle him? Was he able to ever be handled before?

triciakoontz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Trish Koontz
Have you tried clicker training with him? Targeting to the side of the cage for a treat? You could start with that simple behavior (the treat can be delivered through the bars). Then, when he has learned that the click means treat, you can click him for lifting his foot. Or if he keeps lifting the foot, start with that - give him a seed or piece of nut (whatever he prefers) every time you see him doing it. I would definitely work on a really positive training relationship with him before you get him out of the cage. Every time you get him out and it is a battle it just reinforces the old patterns of behavior. Start some brand new patterns that are safe for you and safe for him! It is great fun to train and Amazons love the attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.