• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I know nothing about air purifiers

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I just thought I'd write a little update on my quest to find an air purifier.

I've contacted with Kaz, which is the manufacturer of the Honeywell Air Purifiers and they told to get another model which releases no ozone: The HA150E.
Honeywell HA150E4 - True Hepa Air Luchtreinigers / Luchtreinigers

It's a true HEPA and it has an odor reducing pre-filter (carbon filter) which needs replacing every three months.

I googled about the safety of carbon filters and birds and didn't find much about it. I'm quite sure it should be safe, but It'd be great if someone confirm this.

This purifier is ideal for a room with approximately 20m2, the birdroom is 14m2, I think it's suitable since I don't plan to have it on the higher setting.

I'm going to order this unit tonight :starshower1: :dance4:

Pretty soon my lovies will have a better air quality :piedlovie: :pflb: :lbpied2: :rflb:

Last edited:

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Ps. I'm sorry about all the smiles in the last message, but I'm so pleased :)

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
i had similar issues looking for my newest air purifier. so many come with ionizers these days <rolls eyes>
congrats on finding one that works well for you. :hug8:

i had a honeywell that had carbon prefilters they were okay. didnt do any harm, but i didnt notice any improvement either...other than they caught alot of the larger particles. i love the honeywell line, if i had a bit more money to invest i'd have gotten another. their 5 yr warranty alone is very valuable. i think you'll be VERY happy with your honeywell unit.

i even looked at the rabbits when i was looking for my newest and found that every one of the less expensive ones have the ionizer. :banghead:

i ended up getting a hamilton beach one that has a permanent hepa filter that i can just vacuum out a couple times a week.

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for your review on the honeywell line. I feel more reassured about the carbon filter.

This air purifier must work. I went through so much trouble finding something that was suitable, specially living in Portugal where we have very little air purifiers available. I will have to order it from the European Honeywell online shop but the shipping isn't very expensive. :hug8: :bliss:

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
even tho it doesnt really SAY you can, i found that it saved me alot of money on replacement carbon filters to vacuum them out, rather than completely replace them. but i have a VERY dusty flock so i may go thru them faster than you. ;)

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I'll definitely try that :) Thank you.
I don't know how lovebirds aren't on the "dusty list". About 45min after vacuuming the room gets about as dusty as it was before.

Lets see how it goes with the purifier :coffeescreen:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had a few Honeywells and they have not lasted. I gave up on them and bought a Rabbit which I had some electrical problems with. It kept turning on and off on it's own. Company replaced it and same thing. The HEPA filters on it were expensive, although now I see that they have lowered the prices on the filters for the model I have probably because they now offer newer models. I am currently using Therapure air purifiers and have been happy with those. The Therapure models have permanent HEPA filters which can be vacuumed.

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I just made the order :)

I've had a few Honeywells and they have not lasted. I gave up on them and bought a Rabbit which I had some electrical problems with. It kept turning on and off on it's own. Company replaced it and same thing. The HEPA filters on it were expensive, although now I see that they have lowered the prices on the filters for the model I have probably because they now offer newer models. I am currently using Therapure air purifiers and have been happy with those. The Therapure models have permanent HEPA filters which can be vacuumed.
Although those sound rather nice, I would take into consideration if I was in America. Otherwise the plug would not be compatible.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm sure it will work and do what it's supposed to. Otherwise the outcome won't be pretty :laughing2:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The key to keeping down the dust is vacuuming the prefilter DAILY and cleaning the HEPA weekly. Also when the dust is really, really bad, like in the winter, higher humidity helps manage it as well as vacuuming the room itself.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I think there was an article that mentioned air purifiers in the October/November 2013 edition of "In Your Flock" magazine.

The article was "Keep Flock Areas Clean" by Leigh Ann Hartsfield.

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
honeywell has a 5 year warranty on all their air purifiers. just be sure to register your product when you get it. i had one that failed after 2 years (give or take) and they were happy to replace it. i did have to pay shipping to and from but that was $20. when you consider replacing the model would have cost $120, that's not a bad deal.

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
The key to keeping down the dust is vacuuming the prefilter DAILY and cleaning the HEPA weekly. Also when the dust is really, really bad, like in the winter, higher humidity helps manage it as well as vacuuming the room itself.
Thank you for the tips, I'm definitely vacuuming the filter very often.
It shouldn't damage the pre filter, right? I ordered two replacements already but I'd like them to last a while...

Humidity isn't much of a problem here, I have a thermometer/hygrometer and even in the winter, the humidity doesn't drop to a very low level... It's never been below 52%, and that's on the dryer days

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
honeywell has a 5 year warranty on all their air purifiers. just be sure to register your product when you get it. i had one that failed after 2 years (give or take) and they were happy to replace it. i did have to pay shipping to and from but that was $20. when you consider replacing the model would have cost $120, that's not a bad deal.
The one I ordered only has a 3 year warranty... I registered on the website before purchasing the unit but I'm not sure that's what you mean :huh: I didn't see anything about registering the product when I was ordering, should I still be able to do it?

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I think there was an article that mentioned air purifiers in the October/November 2013 edition of "In Your Flock" magazine.

The article was "Keep Flock Areas Clean" by Leigh Ann Hartsfield.
Thanks, I'll google and see if I can find it!

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
The one I ordered only has a 3 year warranty... I registered on the website before purchasing the unit but I'm not sure that's what you mean :huh: I didn't see anything about registering the product when I was ordering, should I still be able to do it?

oh my mistake. sorry bout that, i tend to think 'USA' stuff and forget this is an INTERNATIONAL forum. :ashamed1:

after you purchase it you go to the link that says 'register' your product. this is where you give them your purchase date, your name, and if the product has a serial number, it too. this way if it fails they know how long you've had it and know if its still within warranty period.

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
oh my mistake. sorry bout that, i tend to think 'USA' stuff and forget this is an INTERNATIONAL forum. :ashamed1:

after you purchase it you go to the link that says 'register' your product. this is where you give them your purchase date, your name, and if the product has a serial number, it too. this way if it fails they know how long you've had it and know if its still within warranty period.
Maybe this service isn't available for European costumers... All I got after the order was a confirmation email in German (I don't even understand German lol)
But it does say it has a three year warranty, so I assume it's just automatic when you purchase a unit.

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
Maybe this service isn't available for European costumers... All I got after the order was a confirmation email in German (I don't even understand German lol)
But it does say it has a three year warranty, so I assume it's just automatic when you purchase a unit.

i wandered round the site and you're right. again, its me assuming that the same services are available globally. :ashamed1: i guess you just keep your proof of purchase date like an invoice or whatever you have that's similar.

as far as understanding German, you are SO very far ahead of me! i understand English, enough American Sign Language to get my point across, enough French to count my fingers and toes and to identify my gender, and enough Spanish to take an order for a Big Mac without onions... Large sized. (i used to work at McDonalds) :pinklol2:

oh and i can say 'i dont understand' in all those languages too. :rolleyes:

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I just thought I'd write a little update on my quest to find an air purifier.

I've contacted with Kaz, which is the manufacturer of the Honeywell Air Purifiers and they told to get another model which releases no ozone: The HA150E.
Honeywell HA150E4 - True Hepa Air Luchtreinigers / Luchtreinigers

It's a true HEPA and it has an odor reducing pre-filter (carbon filter) which needs replacing every three months.

I googled about the safety of carbon filters and birds and didn't find much about it. I'm quite sure it should be safe, but It'd be great if someone confirm this.

This purifier is ideal for a room with approximately 20m2, the birdroom is 14m2, I think it's suitable since I don't plan to have it on the higher setting.

I'm going to order this unit tonight :starshower1: :dance4:

Pretty soon my lovies will have a better air quality :piedlovie: :pflb: :lbpied2: :rflb:
Can't find that model in the states? Do you have the phone number for the guy you talk to? I would love to find something like that but larger room. Thanks